Have you found a "diet" that worked for you?

Options

Replies

• Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers worked well for me at one time. It's a helpful learning tool and gets you into the habit of reading labels and nutrition information. I still use their cookbooks from time to time and got some really great low cal recipes from them. I just decided calorie counting was easier than figuring out points.
  • QueenJaneRoughly
    Options
    I agree with you, OP. Clean eating and exercising for 40-60 minutes each day.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Low carbing helped me reset my metabolism and sweet tooth (and sense of true hunger) now I eat anything and everything in moderation. I make sure that I hit my protein target and the rest just falls where it may.

That's pretty much what worked for me. I did South Beach a couple years ago and lost about 15 lbs and kept most of it off for two years. I eat some carbs now, but really limit my sugar. Prior to that, I ate tons of bagels, pasta and sugary stuff. Southbeach made me way better at planning out meals and snacks and thinking about what would fill me up for a while (protein and some fat) rather than plowing through half a box of crackers.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

making a shift to eating as much non-processed whole foods as I can without being obsessed over it.

I think part of why low carb works for me is the fact that it usually forces me to do this. Especially since I don't do bars or shakes or frozen dinners of any kind.
  • Burdo70
    Burdo70 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Any experts that might be able to have a look at my program since 7/1/13 and let me know if I should be doing anything different or more of a particular thing please?

I want to lose weight but mainly from the stomach and chest/breast area.

I started at just under 94kg and this morning weighed in just over 90kg.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Regards
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I eat primal, it gets a lot of bashing from the main forums but I love how I feel when I'm not eating grains.
  • Toumani
    Toumani Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Low carbing helped me reset my metabolism and sweet tooth (and sense of true hunger) now I eat anything and everything in moderation. I make sure that I hit my protein target and the rest just falls where it may.

Exactly the same with me as Deadvim. Low carb has been essential for me to ease back on sweet stuff and eating noodles, bread and rice all the time. Low carb trains you to add in protein, which is much more filling than high-carb grainy stuff, and keeps me from noshing on damn sweet stuff all the time.

As soon as I switched to reduced carbs, I lost a ****ton of water weight, which is expected, and then the fat started slipping off. Once you have it in check, you can slowly raise the carb intake back and eat things in moderation.
  • NatWillBeSkinny
    NatWillBeSkinny Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    slimming world worked great for me only bad thing is it is very easy to put the weight back on and quickly
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    This is not a diet. It's a lifestyle change. Forever.
  • Toumani
    Toumani Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I eat primal, it gets a lot of bashing from the main forums but I love how I feel when I'm not eating grains.

Screw the main forums, it's the same group of "experts" saying:

- lift heavy, no cardio
    - don't reduce carbs

FFS, if you are losing weight, clearly feeling better and that type of diet is right for you, then stick with it! I feel so much better that I have lessened my carb intake, it was actually the tweak I needed to make.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers isn't a diet. It's a calorie counting program just like MFP, except it uses points. I ate all the same foods I'm eating now when I was on it.

I like MFP and WW for the same reasons- they aren't food specific diets. I know those kinds of things can work, but they won't work for me long term.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I eat a diet that could be called a "Whole foods, plant based" diet, or a "mostly raw, vegan diet" which is not really a specific diet, but it's the kind of thing talked about by people like Colin Campbell, Caldwell Esselstyn, Joel Fuhrman, John McDougall, Alan Goldhamer, Doug Lisle, Neal Barnard and Doug Graham, among others.

It's really easy to stick to, and it makes you feel fantastic. Plus, it tastes so delicious, once you find the right reipes. I eat all that i want, and still lose weight.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yes I have found a diet that has worked for me. I feel very fortunate because mfp has been dead on accurate for me with the suggested calories. I have found reducing my calories to these recommendation has helped me to lose almost 80 pounds so far. I have cut out most processed foods but not all. I still eat out at restaurants occasionally especially for celebrations. I cut back on sugars and starches because it helps me to control the amount of calories I take in. Logging on mfp has helped me to make sure I am eating enough proteins and fats to stay healthy while losing weight. This may not work for everyone but cutting calories has worked for me.
  • Cynduck
    Cynduck Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've tried many diets over the years but learning how to figure out how many calories a need and how to figure out a deficit has only worked but helped me learn to keep it off.

Weight Watchers worked for me as long as I was doing it but I would eventually ease into my old ways. I would quickly gain back what I lost and more. I started counting calories, lost about 20, got off track for awhile but kept that 20 off. Last year I lost another 30, got off track but didn't regain. Back on track again.

My point is that this has taught me how to change things for life. No more yo yo dieting for me!
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    The only one I have ever lost weight on and kept if off for a while was Weight Watchers, but then that is just a fancy version of MFP and much more expensive.
  • sidewinder76
    Options
    Only thing that really works for me is exercising and reduced caloric intake. I like "diet" programs for the support that they bring, but in my opinion they aren't built to last.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Yep. I eat whatever I want, just less of it, and get my *kitten* up off the couch more.
  • Jred36
    Jred36 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have tried every diet under the sun!!! What I found is a lifestyle change!!! I drink the best tasting protein shake around!!! This is the first time I have been able to stick with it and it is because of the many different recipes. Can even use the shake mix in making snacks like brownies. I also believe in MFP because you need to track what you are eating along with some form of exercise. Good luck in your journey!
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I have tried many over the years, all unsuccessful.

I have, however found a "lifestyle" that works. Put simply, I

a. eat at a reasonable deficit of the amount of calories my body needs for my activity including exercise.
    b. eat a NET calorie number that is above my Basal Metabolic Rate
    c. use MFP to log ALL of my food/drink intake and exercise
    d. eat as healthily as possible without restrictions.
    e. surround myself with like minded, healthy eating & positive friends on my FL.

WHEN I reach my current goal, my new goal will be to continue to log on MFP and continue the mutual support built up with friends to keep me on the right road for years to come.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    No.

For me, diet means failure.