Have you found a "diet" that worked for you?

Options
124»

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Not really a diet, but a 20/4 IF schedule and eating less than 50g of net carbs of non meat/dairy foods has really helped me.

I'm not one of these people that can have just two cookies, or just one slice of pizza, etc. I eat until I'm full. If it takes five dozen cookies to do that I'm eating five dozen cookies. Thinking I can eat something in moderation will always lead to failure. I'm either eating something until it's gone or I'm not eating it. That first bite is like an alcoholic's first sip of a drink.
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Diets don't work. It's a lifestyle.
  • parttimeanorexia
    Options
    eating every other day seems to work
  • hannydee
    hannydee Posts: 246
    Options
    The only thing that seems to work for me is monitoring my TDEE (I use a Fitbit) and cutting 250-500 cals per day from that number. If I try to 'diet' in the traditional sense, I end up underfeeding which leads to binge eating, and that kind of hinders any progress!
  • hollyjane77
    Options
    Weight Watchers has worked for me in the past. I lost 55+ pounds and kept it off... until I experienced some really stressful life events and had 3 kids... and now here I am :-/ MFP is kind of like WW online except it's calories instead of points and it's free :-)
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Plain low calorie and cardio didn't work well for me. I think I lost a lot of muscle mass and then within 6 months quickly gained all the weight back. (My highest was only about 150 - so this might not be the case for heavier people).

Once I recoved from the tendenitis from unsussessfully trying to do cardio to keep from gaining the weight back. I started doing weight training. I also migrated to a lower carb diet. I didn't really lose much weight but was very happy as I no longer felt like I was falling apart. Testing blood sugar levels also came down. Eventually I lost a few pounds.

Then I did something kind of wacky. I did the Tim Ferris 4 hour diet which added a cheat day and beans to my life. This and my regular walking/exercise accompanied a quick drop to 135 which I maintained for about 5 months following a very loosely primal. diet.

Recently I started gaining just a pound or two and saw my waist line expand. So, last week I decided to try the 4 hour diet again (focusing on whole foods, lentils for the beans, and using whole eggs instead of egg whites). I did it last week and was surprised to see my weight drop 3 poounds. I didn't expect such a large loss as I tend to stay lowish carb anyway. Who knows.

I am going to keep trying it for a couple more weeks and then if it works, I'll go back to my normal primal diet for maintainence. Anyway, I hate the idea of fad diets but it seems to work for me. Also, it is pretty balanced with meat, vegetables and natural fats. This may be unique to me - I was 40 and only about 30 pounds over my idea weight; I tend to put weight on my middle.

To check things out, I have been logging my food this week. Interestingly, this diet brings my calorie intake down to about 1400 a day without conciously restricting. Therefore, I think it might be a good option for someone who has a hard time following a calorie diet.

Hope this information is of help to others.
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Dieting doesn't work because it involves removing something from your normal eating habits altogether! That is not the way! Eat anything you like but stay under your goals and you will lose. If you get cravings for sweet things like I do then exercise is key to getting rid of those feelings!
  • julzrus
    Options
    When people ask me are you on a diet, I just say I'm eating healthier.
    I believe those programs you mention are just stepping stones to a lifestyle
    change. If you go back to your old ways when you reach your goals, you gain
    the weight back. Once you reach your goal,
    you learn how to reintroduce foods you avoided in a healthier way.
    The programs should introduce the user to a new
    way of eating. Remember, The word diet has the word "die" in it.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Eat better. Move more. :happy:
  • linbert57
    linbert57 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've removed many things from my "diet". I no longer eat red meat, whole wheat, cut down tremendously on processed foods. I was a lean cuisine, healthy choice addict, so my salt intake has dramatically decreased. I've increased my veggie intake, eat nuts every day and other good fats. But I think the food diary is a great tool to keep things in check.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in eating well and exercising, and the only real diet I have tried was the SlimFast back when I was a teenager. Personally I don't believe in things like WeightWatchers, SlimmingWorld, Dukan or anything.

But for some people it really works! :-) Do you find that you stick well to a certain diet plan? If so, what is it about the plan that makes it easier for you to maintain?

Well my diet (which I don't even concider a diet) is just plan healthy eating. Getting variety and eating from all the basic food groups (you know the pyramid you learned in grade school). I eat my 3 main meals (smaller) and 3 snacks a day. I am eating about every 2 to 3 hrs. I always feel ful and have mega energy to burn. So this isn't a "diet" it is a way of life "Healthy eating" and I have lost 45 lbs doing it. (40 before I joined MFP and 5 since I joined on 1/16/13)
  • Zommbunny
    Options
    Easy - eat less, move more
    most diets are basicaly this principle anyway for eaxampl WW, SW ur pasically counting calorie but points and check are what they are called - its all the same even most fad diets are based on a calorie deficit so basically if you have the will power they will work (not always safely)
    for instance a friend of mine is on the fuller for longer diet and doesn't even realise she's basically counting calories and eating less processed food.
    :wink:
  • fairbanksmommy
    fairbanksmommy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    MFP and ACE is really helping me! I have been a skeptic of 'diet pills' in the past....however with ACE....it's not a 'diet pill'. It is a tool that aids you in gaining more energy, and less cravings to eat unnecessary foods. I like ACE so much, I started selling it! I've lost 10 pounds so far with the help of MFP and ACE!
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I tried low carb without keeping an online food journal. I knew calories, fat and meat were unrestricted so I didn't hold back on the portions, fat, butter or cream. I didn't weigh anything. I drank Diet Coke and lots of tea with milk, not realising how many carbs are in milk! I told people I was on Atkins but actually I was not.

I lost nothing.

I only started losing weight once I reduced calories as well as counting carbs, weighed everything and input to an online tracker. I've lost 16lb this year.

My diet is all fresh, simple, no artificial sweeteners and no processed foods. I simply have 40 fl oz of home made low GI vegetable soup with some cream in it for calcium and fat, and about 300g of protein daily. Keep the carbs to about 50g, calories around 1700, and do an hour's exercise 3x a week.