Presentation on hot topic To Spank or Not To Spank

Options

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I never once spanked either of my two boys. However, that was probably because my wife was against it. Philosophically, I believe that spanking -- on the bottom -- is much less traumatic than other forms of punishment, that generally, intentionally or not, involve shaming or play on the emotions or psyche. A spanking is simple and direct. It gets the message across -- and I think kids need limits and direction -- and it is over right away. Then you and the child can move on.
    I agree that too often people spank when they are angry, and/or get carried away, and obviously I do not support that. But, if it were me in the kids shoes, I would rather get a quick spanking and get it over with, than get berated with hurtful words, or to have something I wanted taken away.
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I was spanked as a child, punished, grounded, you name it. I will do the same to my Son.
  • dejastar
    dejastar Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm disappointed, I was expecting something entirely different.

:drinker: Me too.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I would always try taking away a privaledge first. If they are naughty would be no tv for the night or no popsicles or desert after supper for the night. But if it was something where they could physically cause themself harm like they try to run out in a busy parking lot or street or something then I will give them a spanking and tell them its not ok to do that. But that is the only time would ever give them a spanking. Only when it is something that could cause physical harm to them or someone else. If they are just acting up or being a bit bratty would just take away a privaledge instead.
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    My Son gets crib time or time in his playpen when he gets out of hand.
    The other day I caught him trying to sit on our dachshund, again!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options

This.

It never occurred to me when I clicked on the topic that you'd be talking about children.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I do not feel that mild forms of corporal punishment are child abuse.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I did spank my children using my bare hand. A spanking was for a serious offense. I would first let my child know that they were going to be spanked, and the reason for the spanking. Then a couple of swats on the rear........while clothed........ and that was it. The spanking was more for shock value than to inflict pain.

The last time my four got spanked, all at the same time, they each put a book in their pants which I discovered after the first swat. We all laughed, and that was it. No more spankings.

Should a child be spanked. Yes, I think there is a time when this is appropriate. Should a child be slaped across the face? Never!!.......... beaten.............NEVER!!!! Regarding punishment, regardless of the form, the child should be told why they are being punished.

Seriously, though, I'm all about this ^^^

So am I... I was spanked too. My mother did swat me accross the face if I mouthed off and I TOTALLY deserved it! I still wish she would come up here (she's 5'2 and I'm 5'7) and smack me in the mouth for being such a mouthly b*tch sometimes... an I'm 30 years old!

If people dont' want to spank their kids, all the power to them. I on the other hand, don't have kids - yet. My parents raised my brother and I and spanked us when we were out of line and I was definitely out of line beating up my brother as a kid and swearing at a young age. If I didn't listen, my parents would put me in my room for a 'time out'. When I decided to steal gum balls, my dad made me go back into the store and apologize and I got a slap on the hand when we got home and another 'time out'. My parents were very reasonable with me, but, when I deserved it (and I DID), I got what I deserved!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    *kitten* is about to get real frucked up in this b!tch.
  • PatrickSwayzesGhost
    PatrickSwayzesGhost Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Oh, I see. Some people are feigning disappointment that the topic has nothing to do with spanking as a form of derivation of sexual pleasure. They were hoping to let others see how "naughty" they are. How droll.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    oCk1eD5.gif

rQ3O4.gif

PmZir.gif
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Oh, I see. Some people are feigning disappointment that the topic had to do with spanking as a form of derivation of sexual pleasure. They were hoping to let others see how "naughty" they are. How droll.

I do say, good sir! What a perfectly plebeian post we have found ourselves in!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Personally I think spanking introduces fear and hostility. I prefer to stick to grounding, sitting in the corner for 5 minutes or losing privileges like having toys in the room, tv time and being able to eat anywhere other than the kitchen table.

I think consequences work much better than spanking, but that certainly is just me.
  • PatrickSwayzesGhost
    PatrickSwayzesGhost Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Oh, I see. Some people are feigning disappointment that the topic had to do with spanking as a form of derivation of sexual pleasure. They were hoping to let others see how "naughty" they are. How droll.
    Indeed...
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Indeed...

29787991.jpg
  • knedz7
    knedz7 Posts: 9
    Options
    Yes, I think it is important to spank your child, but you must do it right and in love. Starting at one years old or so. You have a paddle such as a wooden spoon, do not use your hand. At that young of an age, a soft smack on the behind only, increasing it just a little as the child gets older, no marks should be left, so don't spank to hard, just enought to get your point acrossed and only a few swats, two per say. Prior to spanking your child, you should talk to your child and explain, asking did you do something wrong? Have the child say what it was. Tell the child that they have to have a spanking. Make sure they understand totally before going thru with it. Then after the swat, give you child a hug and tell them you love them and ask again, do you know why I had to spank you? Hug them again. When you use your hand, its personal so try to have one object to use and only on the bottom. I think spankings should stop by puberty. then its time to take things away for a short time such as cell phones, ipods, i pads etc.. One last thing, don't ever spank in anger, walk away first then once you are calm then do the correction. Never spank in anger. And no, spankings shouldn't have anything to do with race. Not every punishment should end in a spanking, sometime a talking too helps or a time out. Really should depend on the crime. Always do punish kids in love and not anger. No need to cuss at them either. Kind words work best.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I believe I'm living proof that spanking works. I had a very healthy respect and fear for my Father at a young age because I knew the consequences of acting out. As for my Mother, she NEVER spanked us and when I was with her I was a holy terror. My parents are divorced (since I was 4) and it was like night and day when I was at my mom's versus dad's. At dad's I knew how to behave myself and be respectful to people and play without being a terror. At my mom's I would be a complete brat and get in fights with my brother all the time.

ETA: My father didn't just haul off and whip me. It was planned and was an entire experience. First it was, "Go to your room." Then I had time to sit there and stew over what I had done and what the punishment was going to be (and usually time for me to put on about three pairs of sweatpants). Then he would come in with his paddle (yes, wooden paddle) and talk to me for a few minutes about what I did and why it was wrong and why I was being punished for it. So, what I'm saying is I believe there is a right and wrong way to spank because I have seen parents just haul off and whack their kids and the kids just laugh in their face. This isn't the way to spank a child.

But I honestly believe the key to any good punishment is consistency. If you don't consistently spank or follow through with threats then don't expect the child to behave.
  • AmberB519
    AmberB519 Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Same. LOL No for the kids, yes for me! ;)

In all honestly, I just prefer to use other methods for my kids. They are very well behaved and respectful all without the threat of spanking.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about spanking your child?
    I think all children should be spanked when their behavior warrants it.
    Do you feel that it's an apropriate punishment in this day and age?
    Absolutely.
    At what age do you feel the child should move on to other type of punishment?
    At whatever age they have learned to act right. Typically, when children are spanked consistently at a young age for misbehavior, it stops being necessary around the age of 7 or 8.
    Do you feel that race plays a part in spanking?
    No.
    Do you think the rate/importance of spanking has gone down in the present generation as compared to the older generations?
    The rate has definitely gone down. The importance is the same as it always was.
    Do you feel that children's behavior now days has changed as a result of parents being scared to spank their child?
    Definitely. Kids know these days that the worst thing that will happen to them is that they have to sit on the timeout chair until they scream long enough that their parents decide it's best for everyone to just let them go and ignore their bad behavior.
    Were you spanked as a child and do not spank your own kids and why/why not?
    Yes, I was spanked as a child. Don't have children yet, but I spank my nieces and nephews, and I will spank my children when I have them.

It is important to note that many people do not properly distinguish between spanking and child abuse. Smacking a child across the face, for example, is not discipline. It is an abusive behavior, usually done in anger and out of frustration. Swatting a child on the butt, with a proper explanation of why it is being done, is discipline that will not physically cause the child any harm but will send the message that his or her behavior is disappointing and carries consequences.

Are there better ways to get that message across? In a very, very small percentage of children (those who are mentally and emotionally evolved well beyond their peers), I would say that conversation alone could communicate this. But in an overwhelming majority of children, words alone do not mean anything when it comes to discipline. There has to be action to reinforce the message, and it needs to be something that children are afraid of, not merely something they will dislike, such as taking away their phone or video game. That is not to say a child needs to be afraid of his/her parents (I would never suggest that) but, instead, they should be afraid of the consequences of screwing up. I was never afraid of my parents. I always knew that they loved me and that spanking me was very difficult for them (my dad cried every time he had to do it). What I hated about being spanked was that it made it very clear that I had disappointed my parents with my behavior. That is the lesson kids need to learn.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Oh :blushing: