1200, and why it won't work

Options

Replies

• Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I am one of you...
    ...1200 calories a day is a paltry sniff of food. It's a dab of nutrients, and it's almost impossible to follow on a consistent (years) basis....

The number itself mocks you and makes you feel inadequate....You will live on...yes..but in misery.

well the thing is, you're not me.
    You look like a rather muscular man, where as I am neither. When you turn into a 45 year old woman, then you'll be one of "me".
    1200 calories a day probably is NOT enough for you, but its fine for me. I'm not starving. most days i'm not even hungry.
    I woh't have to stay at 1200 calories for years, because I will get to my goal weight and eat more to maintain.

I'm not mocked, and I don't feel inadequate, and i'm not miserable.

perhaps you should change the thread title to end with "for me", since you can't stand there and tell me what's going to work for me.

I totally agree with this persons response and to be honest I got as far as this lady has quoted as I just thought its another one of those boring 'starvation mode' threads. But she is right you are not her and you are definitely not me. Until you walk a day in my shoes then you might understand more of what I do.

I have been on a 1200 and under plan since september. I am not weak and I am certainly not living a miserable life! I was miserable before starting the plan as I was over 300lbs but now I have lesser health problems and feeling very energetic to be honest. One of my closest friends has lost 167lbs and another has lost 87lbs doing a 1200 calorie diet so technically your theory is wrong. What is working for me obviously didn't work for your client and I am sure there will be a time when I will have to increase my calories but until that happens I will gladly prove you and many others wrong!!!!

Hi! I'm really happy you have found your way to weight loss...one way or the other. As I said before, in my OP, 1200 will make everyone lose weight. It all comes down to whether 1200 is a very easy number to keep, or if it is hard for most people. I can see that you are one of those that can stay under 1200, and I am grateful that you've shared your experience, in spite of my recommendations. Weight loss is a journey we all undertake personally. the fact that you've succeeded in this path only makes me feel that much better about being wrong.

What I have posed is not a theory at all. It is a roadmap for those that cannot follow the 1200 diet with much success, or are likely to slip up. I, for one, cannot. I have some experience crash dieting in my younger years on figures around 1200. I always gained it back. If your experience is different, and 1200 will be your number for the years to come, then that's great!

But, I must ask. Why eat only 1200 calories at 300 pounds when the math in either direction suggests that you may lose weight eating more? Why not find out for yourself, in any case how much you can get away with eating while still enjoying weight loss?

then again, I've always been one of those people who try to get away with the bare minimum required for success. But if success is our only goal, wouldn't we try to make our pursuit of it more rewarding?

When I started mfp last february I asked on here for advice and when I said I was doing a 1200 calorie diet because of what my doctor had suggested I was set upon in a very unfriendly manner from certain people on this site so I thought maybe they know more and I will do what they say. For 6 months I stayed on a plan of eating 2200 calories I gained weight in those six months and felt more depressed because I didn't understand what was wrong.

I then asked for other help and I met one of my closest friends on here who explained what she was doing so I thought I would try it for a month! In that month I had lost 12lbs, this was starting in October and to this day I have lost 51lbs. Just got weighed this morning and lost another 2lbs. Like I said I have never felt better and being over 300lbs I have enough reserves to be able to control my eating and believe me if you choose your calories wisely you can get a hell of allot of calories out of the daily limit to enjoy and feel full. Put it this way it is way better than what I used to be eating before this lifestyle change.

Probably I will have to increase my calories once I go below 200 but until that happens then I will continue doing what I am irrespective of what everyone else has to say because at the end of the day its my body and not theirs and what worked for them will not work for me! Everyone is unique in their own way its our weightloss journey not theirs. Don't get me wrong I have had many a bump and turn along the way but its a learning curve that I am currently enjoying and have no intention of changing! Like I said I will gladly prove you and many others wrong.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the post...very interesting to read "Monica's" story. I calculated my TDEE and tried the eating that number for a few weeks. I'm maintaining. I've been maintaining for 9-10 months going from 1600 -2100 cals for a few weeks at a time (depending on what I read). I've cleaned up my diet significantly. I've always exercized. I'm a sugar-aholic and I've cut a lot of it out.
    I don't want to maintain, I want to lose. I feel like I am at the end of my rope. I won't give up, but its just hard to lose a little and then bounce right back up in a day or two. I'm not sure what to do. For me, it doesn't seem to be all about calories...
    Ugh.

Find a method and stick to it. I would think 2100 calories would be very close to your maintenance level TDEE. Barring medical conditions, it is calories in and calories out for everyone. Also, remember that these calculators are estimates based on avg populace, and estimates based on your inputs.

Don't bounce around week to week with different goals...set one using one method and stick to it for at least a month. This is the calculator I use for the TDEE method less 20% (~ 1 Lb per week) and I've found it to be very accurate. If you stick to it for a month and you're honestly measuring/weighing, logging, and otherwise not cheating yourself, you may want to see a doctor about possible medical conditions which could be preventing you from burning at a reasonable deficit from TDEE.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Thank you for your answer. It is nice when someone reads what I wrote. :-) I'm trying 1600-1700 for at least a month. I work out at least 5 days/week now (ramping it up from 3 because I think my injuries are healed enough). If I don't lose, I will talk to my endo about increasing my thyroid meds and/or anything else that might be going on.

Using the calculator you provided, I ended up with a BMR of 1561. TDEE is 2420 and TDEE - 25% is 1815. I put in 3-5 hrs/wk moderate exercise to get that result. I'm 5'10" and 169 lbs at the moment. So, I am trying for 1600, but usually end up between 17-1800. I think that's right for now. Thanks!
  • staciarose13
    staciarose13 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump
  • rae_rae330
    rae_rae330 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Brethertond1
    Brethertond1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have just read ur message and must say it explains alot, im 49yrs of age 82kg 5ft 6in exercise 3 to 4 time a week and doing the 1200 calorie diet to no availle so as u probebly can imagin i have found this very frustrating! i generally do eat a varied healthy diet its just portion size that has been my problem i also feel that the fact i have stopped smoking as prevented me from loosing weight. If you can advise me on the best way to loose weight i would be very grateful. after all i'm not succeeding my way! I do apologise for the bad grammer and spelling. :cry:
  • amyljl77
    amyljl77 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My goal is 1240 per day. I've been sticking to this (on days I work out I do eat the calories I burned) and I have been losing weight consistently and I am not hungry ....IF i eat high quality foods. I load up on low calorie nutritious foods that I REALLY enjoy (soups, fruits, hummus, hard boiled eggs, cheese, veggies) and I find that on most days I do just fine. I also save my calories for the times of day when I know I get cravings (later afternoon, evenings) so that I have a couple hundred calories for a snack later in the evening or before bed. I also find making sure I eat enough fat and protein really helps too. My point is that I think people need to learn what works best for them, instead of killing themselves trying to strictly follow a set calorie goal. There have been one or two days when I was hungry around bedtime and I had already used my calories for the day (I noticed I had eaten a lot of sugar and empty calories that day) I had a slice of provolone and a glass of water and went to bed, I figured the 60 or 70 calories wouldn't make that big of a difference and it didn't. I've lost 8 lbs in two weeks.
  • amyljl77
    amyljl77 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I agree, I would challenge the people who are starving when eating around 1200 to look at WHAT they are eating. I have been doing 1240 for two weeks ( I know it's not a long time) and I have been perfectly comfortable and feel like I could sustain eating like this for the long haul. I choose my calories carefully, though, and make sure I get enough fat and protein along with the carbs and watch the amount of sugar. I also make sure I LOVE everything i eat. I don't waste calories on crap that I don't love, this really helps with cravings.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i eat 1200 cals a day, and sometimes i eat 1199... nany.. nanny... goat... goat... hollaaaaaaaa

i also threaten my kids with selling them to foreign countries (which they find funnt for some odd reason), and leave my garbage cans out at the street for 3 days sometimes... shoot me :)
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    You sir, are a legend! Great post!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    while I love the original post, and I suppose you probably answered this somehwere in the last ten pages or so, what I don't understand is what the end goal is. Not in terms of weight/bodyfat, but in terms of calorie consumption. If you keep lowering your cals, where do you draw the line? Do you just figure out your TDEE for the weight and activity level you want to be at and that's it?

Sorry. I'm just confused because it looks like what the post is suggesting is that the ultimate goal be to get to 1200 cals or whatever.

I did 1200 + exercise cals for two years. I did fine on it. It was the eating exercise cals that made it work. I ran like a MFer so I could eat pizza! Now I"m eating 1700 cals (1600-1800) and I focus more on macros and lifting.

Anywyas, I think i'm a bit OCD about calorie consumption so I'm curious what the end goal is in terms of that (and no, I don' t think I'll ever stop counting my calories. As long as MFP exists, I will be here)
  • carolnjim
    Options
    I'm so glad I went to the post,I'm your Monica.I joined WW 3 weeks ago first weigh in I stayed the same the next week I gained a pound. I tracked everything I ate. the leader told me to eat more as I was below my points by around 10 also below 1200 cal.I did eat more and this weigh in tonight I lost 2.2 pounds.I did loose almost 100 pounds in 2005 eating only 650 cal for 7 month but gained it all back plus 20, My Dr tested me and said my metabolism is very slow and should only eat 1000 a day, I'm 65 years old and for the past 5 years because of an injury stopped exercising. Im now slowly doing 30 min. a day of walking and working 30 min on a gazelle.I will refer to yor post and start increasing my caloies as you did with your client. Thank you so much for your post.very helpful,
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this - my personal trainer laid it out pretty much the same way. I love MFP for the motivation and the accountability, but I generally look to my trainer for my "calories in vs. calories out" quota.
  • laccy40
    laccy40 Posts: 136
    Options
    What I don't understand is why any one would WANT to live on 1200 calories a day if they could eat more and still lose weight??
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    What I don't understand is why any one would WANT to live on 1200 calories a day if they could eat more and still lose weight??

Are you referring to 1200 NET or 1200 TOTAL? There is a difference in this number that not everybody clarifies.

If you ate 1500 calories but burned 300 exercising (which you ate back), then the NET will 1200. However, if you ate 1200 calories and burned 300 exercising (and you didn’t eat them back), then your net would be 900. See the difference?

If don’t exercise, I can easily eat only 1200 to 1250 calories because I am not hungry. And is not that I don’t want, I just don’t need to eat more, and I don’t need to lose any more weight either.

By the way, I am now eating back some or most of my exercises calories because I am on maintenance; when I was trying to lose weight, I just ate 1200 total most of the time. See, we are all different and what works for one person, it doesn’t work for everybody.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Love this....I started the TDEE -20% a couple of weeks ago and I am losing weight, I was doing 1200, I was hungry all the time, so glad I heard about this!! :happy:
  • jhedavid15
    Options
    Great post. I didn't get to read everything, though. Bumped for future reading. :)
  • RockKelly
    RockKelly Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • aeg176
    aeg176 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Great post! I am currently doing exactly what you said about trial and error with calories. In the past week or so I have definitely realized I wasn't eating enough!
  • RMNPHike
    RMNPHike Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    As a 51 year old 5'2" woman (with a small frame) who is trying to lose 7 more pounds, I have to say that 1250 calories per day works just great for me. I am never starving. I am eating more healthy than ever (vegetables out the ying-yang!) and I have tons of energy. I agree however that if someone weighs 300 pounds and wants to lose half of that, 1200 calories might be a shock to the system, and that someone quite a bit bigger than me would have no business doing that. In any case, it is not really healthy to try to lose more than 1 - 2 pounds per week, so I agree with the progression idea. It just depends where you are starting and where you should end up. I tried the TDEE - 20% (to try and break a plateau) and it added more calories, but I actually gained weight. When I went back down to 1250 (MFP says I should do 1200), and changed what I was eating a bit, as well as when I was eating, the plateau ended. Since adding in way more vegetables in the form of fresh homemade soups and salads, I now sometimes have to work at it to get to 1250, and like I said, I'm not hungry at all and I'm losing weight at a good rate for me.
  • lovetobethin86
    lovetobethin86 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    wow that was awesome!