Periods and Exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• ZericaL
    ZericaL Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Did we suddenly slip back to Victorian England where women need to take to their beds for their periods? Why on earth you would you not do whatever you normally do?

I'm with you on this!
  • dValkyrie
    dValkyrie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The only thing I have ever been told to stay away from when on my period is any position that involves inversion (turning upside down). I don't know if it there's a medical reason for this, but it certainly would cut down on any "gush leaks".

Listen to your body, if it doesn't make you feel worse, it's probably fine. If you're looking for an excuse not to exercise, sorry; probably not gonna find one here.
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Not exercising on your period is just an excuse.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i still excercise when I have my period, just not when I have bad cramps. If it's a day where I have no choice (eg scheduled to umpire netball, have to take the kids from work on a hike) i take an anti inflammatory and a couple of paracetamol and do it. My preference is not to stress about it on the two days a month where I'm in serious pain - I get baaaad cramps. The other few days of my period, no stress, no bother. Excercise as normal.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I definitely do. If I exercise then I don't need the painkillers!

But I'd say if you have to be on painkillers, then doing hard exercise is probably NOT recommended for the reasons you mentioned. However, you should go for a long walk, or a hike, or maybe go to the pool and do a bunch of lengths. Stuff where you're unlikely to overdo it or hurt yourself.
  • lauradawson1123
    Options
    So I've always been someone with horrible cramps and have put myself on bedrest during TOM but this week I desided to tough it out and literally 5 minutes into the workout my cramps disappeared. I am now hours post-workout and they haven't come back yet. Best Idea Ever! From now on, I will always workout on my TOM. It has made my day 100 times better :)
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel better if I workout when I have my period, it seems to relax everything in my tummy. But overall, I couldn't ever imagine not working out for an entire week unless grievously injured.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    im probably the only guy commenting in this thread - there is no physical reason why you can't - but probably best to just listen to your body, if you need to take the time off better to listen to your body and maybe just do some calorie restriction for a few days - or just go maintenance for a few days

just my 2 cents
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. If you do not feel up to it, you should take it easy.

Nobody can tell you that you are weak or looking for excuses--all women are different. I know some whose periods are so painful (and have always been) that they cannot even go to work on the worst days, let alone exercise. There is a name for this condition--dysmenorrhea. I also know some women who are not very affected by their monthly hormonal fluctuations. I think some of the women who commented in this thread are like that. Lucky them.

Me: I do not suffer inordinately during my period, so I usually do *something* on even the worst days. For example, I'll go on an extra-long walk, or go spend 30 min on an exercise bike. It helps me keep up the habit of exercising. I should also mention that exercising more seems to have improved things for me--I find that I can return to more strenuous activities like running sooner now. Exercise does affect your hormonal balance and function, and usually not in a bad way.
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I skip the 2 heaviest days and try to work out as usual on the other days

I do the same..
  • AmberB519
    AmberB519 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    It doesn't affect my routine.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    exercise makes my cramps even worse. I usually attempt it if I feel up to it, but the first 1-2ish days are pretty much no-gos for me.