What Have You Given up?

Options

Replies

• tanyaslosingit
    tanyaslosingit Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I eliminated about 90% of all caffeine, alcohol, dairy, sodas, juices, fast foods, TV dinners, added salts and condiments, candy bars and chips of all sorts from my previous diet. I've also given up the ginormous portions I used to eat and drink. Every once in while (the other 10%) I'm in a situation I can't control and I end up eating something from the list above; but I try to limit it. I'm now working on capping my sugar intake, getting it under control before it controls me! I've also given up TV and limited my reading. I've got to focus on limiting my computer time as well!

I drink more water, more organic and fresh foods, smaller portions and; walk/hike more. In the Spring I want to try kayaking!

In addition to avoiding the double punch that was a heart attack and diabetes, my hair and skin are in better condition and, my energy, stamina, memory and focus have improved.

The only drawback per se, is that when I do make a mistake (e.g. eat the "wrong" thing or don't exercise), I feel the ill effects much more immediately. For instance, if I indulge in cheese hors d-oeuvres at a dinner, very quickly I suffer from cramps or; when weather prohibits my daily walk, I become restless and irritable.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I haven't really given up anything, but I've cut down on portion sizes and am careful about weighing my food. I'm trying to cut down on coffee - I have around 4 cups a day, but I have it strong!
  • fatjavotte
    fatjavotte Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have given up diet decaf soda, but that was to save money.
    I am dairy-free, but that is because I am breastfeeding my daughter and she is allergic to cow's milk protein.
    I refuse to "not allow" myself any food. I still have chocolate everyday.
  • 4themoney
    4themoney Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    for the last two weeks, i have given up soy, gluten, sugars ( all kinds), corn, eggs, diary, and peanuts.

i feel great!!! tons of energy. weight FINALLY dropping! at the end of this next week i am supposed to add the foods back in, one at a time, but i'm really enjoying all the side effects of NOT eating any of those foods. so, i might just keep things the way they are.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free for the past 9 months or so (Gluten intolerant/probable celiac NOT to be 'trendy')

It has had a huge impact on my life and I feel better for it.

Other than that, nothing really. I've never been into coffee and never been into sodas. I'm racking my brain to think of something....ah ha!! MAYO!

I used to have mayo all the time. Now I try to limit the amount I have and use it wisely. :)
  • charlenelockhart3
    Options
    I have cut down on diet coke but not completely as ill still have it in a restaurant. As of today i am also swapping my tea 2 sugars for water or chinese tea xx
  • SaraNiyah
    Options
    I gave up simple carbs (will have them every now and then, but definitely not every day as before).
    And of course sweet, greasy food :)
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Convienence and bulk packaging.

Quick stops at the drive thru on the way to and from work. Treats from the vending machine while at the office. An entire bag of chocolate.

I used to take convenience over quality in terms of food. No more. I now prepare a high percentage of my meals and pack fruits for snacks. I still have the foods I like, pizza, chocolate..... but prepare them at home. I don't buy the big bag of chocolate any more. Instead I ease my cravings with a sampler size box to control my portion.
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Nothing... although cut back on the booze and the candy!
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    Bump for later
  • oddlyimpulsive
    Options
    I gave up fast food, soda, juices, bread, beef and pork. I feel amazing, so much more energy, not to mention dropping all of those pounds over the past few years. Although I do treat myself to a little dark chocolate every now and again.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Butter is the main one
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I used to eat mini reese's cups and mini rolos at night while watching tv. I've given up the former, and severly reduced the latter.
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Cut back alcohol to once every couple months. Its helped my weightloss and my mental health :)
  • wildchild06241
    wildchild06241 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    That extra 30 minutes of sleep in the morning so I can set up my WII and get in 15 minutes of exercise. Oh yes and chocolate.:sad:
  • Aitm20
    Aitm20 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Coca cola, chips, candy, fast food etc
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I have pretty much given up potatoes and only eat it once a week... one of my favorite staples and also given up spaghetti too, one of my all time favorite foods and I have had none since early-December!
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    bread and most pasta
  • sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I've given up gallons of tea all day! Large portions and refined foods!
  • drob0708
    Options
    im doing the same . no flour no sugar . I feel so much better and also learning to be more creative cook .