Why are so many women SCARED of weights? LMAO.

Options

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Misinformation.
  • FluroFaye
    FluroFaye Posts: 130
    Options
    I LOVE strength. I actually prefer it over to cardio. I do cardio for 10 mins on bike to warm up, strength training for my full amount and then I'll go on the treadmill for 15-30 mins because I'm trying to train to do a run for charity. I do do classes as well but I try to take classes the incorporate strength/resistance training more over cardio!

Strength training gives you a buzz and when I feel a bit stiff in certain muscles the next day, I LOVE it. It lets you know those muscles have truly been worked and are on their way to building up and getting stronger. Bigger muscles = tighter body and bigger fat burn!
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    First of all forget the smith machines, they only limit your movements and you don't make full use of your muscles so you end up unbalanced. Squat racks are far more effective.

About your question, it is because of the never ending myth that weight lifting will turn a woman into a female Arnold Schwarzenegger. To make things worse, fitness magazines and media keep on preaching this false myth. Little did they know that a lot of hot female Hollywood celebrities such as Scarlet Johansson, Jessica Biel, Halle Berry etc. actually got their svelte bodies and awesome curves from lifting weights.

In my case, I squat and lunge a 75kg barbell (165 lbs.) and deadlift a 66kg barbell (150 lbs.) but I'm only a size 0-2 and don't look like those roided bodybuilders you see on fitness magazines, not even close.

How much did you weigh when you started lifting? I've heard of many women losing a ton of weight via cardio and diet first before hitting the weights.
  • Mell00546
    Mell00546 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting heavy for almost 6 months now. It is truly amazing to watch your body change with heavy lifting and a clean diet.

I remember how hard it was to commit to lifting and how intimidating it was to walk into the "man area" of the gym. I found a program on bodybulding.com (Jamie Eason's 12 week live-fit) and went to work. The best part about using a program like that was all of the guess work was done for you. There are pictures so you know how to do the lifts and it tells you how many reps to do.

Since lifting 6 days a week for the last 6 months I have met so many amazing people at my gym (men and women). Many with the same goals. That is where I met my workout partner (Djness20) who pushes me through our lifting workouts every morning. It is a great idea to spend some time with a personal trainer, even if you have been lifting for awhile. Djness20 and I both use the same trainer (so amazing) who has shown us different workouts and ways to increase weight and lean out.

Its ok to be the new person in the weight room and ask for help. We have all been there.
  • krizz5u6
    Options
    it's not that i'm scared to do weights, it's that i honestly don't know what i'm doing. None of my friends would lift weights with me and I did buy a weightlifting book, but sometimes the exercises are kind of confusing. If I had someone showing me what to do/ going to do weights with me I'd be fine.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Because women have been told, from birth that they are weak.

Aww :hugs: I don't know who told you that but it makes me sad.

Society tells women that. Look at any "women's" magazine cover. It says tone and lose. It doesn't say get strong. Then open said magazine and there will be pictures of 2lb pink weights and trainers like tracy anderson who tell women not to lift heavier than 2lbs.She also says one can spot reduce. *sigh*

Since when does losing weight and toning = weak??

I have no idea who Tracy Anderson is. I'm not a huge magazine reader, but I've read more than a few in the past half century. I don't recall ever reading one that said don't use more than 2 lbs of weight, unless perhaps it was talking about during a specific exercise. But weights are not required to be strong.

Losing weight and toning = weak when the cover model looks as though they are about to break. Tracy Anderson is a celebrity trainer that gets a lot of publicity in many magazines geared toward women. She also has been known to say that lifting heavy weights will make your skin sag as you age.

The best way to gain strength and to keep your bones healthy is to do weight bearing exercises. I've done plenty of body weight exercises and been stronger than the average woman. I know I'm a lot stronger when I left heavy. That means being able to lift 50+lbs easily when life requires it rather than asking someone for help. I couldn't do that as well without the weight lifting.

To each their own. We all have an ideal body type and opinions about what is best for us. I am not here to tell anyone what is best for them. I do believe that society conditions women to think the ideal body type is not in the least bit muscular looking and skinny. I know what the benefits are with weight training and I will continue to do it.
  • ArtGranny
    Options
    I'm new here and just wanted to say I'm not scared of weights but they bore me to death. So I recently tried a Les Mils BodyPump class - it's done with barbells, and combines weight training with cardio. I was really impressed, I LOVED IT! The first 15 minutes are always careful instruction on proper form, and the instructor gave lots of direction on form throughout the one-hour class. (She was six months pregnant and doing it right along with the class!) These classes are offered at my local YMCA. Anyone who has these available - try it! Do not be afraid!!! I am a 61 year old grandmother, and I surprised myself and did the whole one-hour class!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The best way to gain strength and to keep your bones healthy is to do weight bearing exercises. I've done plenty of body weight exercises and been stronger than the average woman. I know I'm a lot stronger when I left heavy. That means being able to lift 50+lbs easily when life requires it rather than asking someone for help. I couldn't do that as well without the weight lifting.

Life does not require a gym. People have been lifting the things required in life without a gym since people have existed.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba on my cardio days because it's fun. I get a good workout from it, but i enjoy it much more than the typical cardio machines or running. i strength train 3 times a week. i'm on week 3 of stronglifts 5x5 and i love it. i feel that i can get stronger without getting huge, and the LBM i will have to burn more fat is an added bonus.
  • Runninglibrarian13
    Runninglibrarian13 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have to admit... I was intimidated (not scared, exactly) by weights. But the gym offered some free instruction, I took it and decided to get over myself. (lol) Granted I'm not lifting heavy (yet)...or doing strictly free weights, but doing a combination of machines and free weights (plus cardio on the treadmill, etc)

I'm still only just getting started (only 2 or 3 weeks so far) but hey... I started! And I can't wait to see how it changes my body. In fact, I think I'll take my measurements since its been awhile for that anyway...and god knows the scale hasn't cooperated lately. (Maintained this week, but much better than the bouncing up and down I had been doing.)

One day, I will be badass. lol
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm grateful they stay in the cardio are, more space for me at the free weights. Yea, I'm selfish that way.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of women (myself included at one point) are unsure of where to start or how to use the equipment and worried that they'll look silly if they have to ask for help (I have to admit, this was a big stumbling block for me!).

This is me...I don't have a clue, and can't afford a trainer....

This isn't exclusive to women. Same goes for men that havent had some sort of weight training in college/high school for sports. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Also, youtube is your friend you can watch a lot of videos on proper form so that you're doing it correctly.

Look online find a plan before you go into the gym and stick to that plan. Overtime as you get comfortable you will be able to modify it.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you right now it's hard sometimes to go to the weight side because I'm such a wimp. Here I am huffing and chuffing over these tiny weights while the guys and ladies who have been doing this for years muscle around huge amounts without breaking a sweat.

But they started somewhere, too, so I go over there and do my weeny weights anyway. Because I'm never going to get better at it if I don't keep doing it.

Besides, if anyone laughs at me I'm going to oopsie drop my little weights on his foot!
  • Runninglibrarian13
    Runninglibrarian13 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you right now it's hard sometimes to go to the weight side because I'm such a wimp. Here I am huffing and chuffing over these tiny weights while the guys and ladies who have been doing this for years muscle around huge amounts without breaking a sweat.

But they started somewhere, too, so I go over there and do my weeny weights anyway. Because I'm never going to get better at it if I don't keep doing it.

Besides, if anyone laughs at me I'm going to oopsie drop my little weights on his foot!

Heee! Love this!
  • meFreshwater
    meFreshwater Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Maybe some women aren't scared, but just don't know what to do so they go where it's easiest. I didn't think weights would be any fun at all, until I joined a gym and tried them. I only planned to use the pool and maybe a low-impact exercise class, but I keep finding new options that I enjoy. The gym I use is a great place, and no one has ever made me feel out of place in the training room, exercise studio, or pool for any reason at all. I still don't know much about free weights, but I'm learning. I encourage any person, male or female, to reach out and try new things. Get the support of the staff, personal trainers, or a more experienced member. It's worth it, and you may find you can do things you never believed you could.
  • wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    There is a class in my gym where all you do is lifting, 90% are women. Even there are more women going into the weights room now. Women are not scare of weights.
  • jacquelinecao75
    Options
    I follow a lot of models around on Instagram that I would like to look like (these are rap video models, Kim Kardashian types) like Claudia Sampedro, Valeria Orsini and they ALL lift and lift heavy. They post photos of themselves lifting heavy, like 135 lbs and up etc and that's what I strive for. I'm super petite (I'm Asian) but I like super curvy/big booty look and ALL these models lift and I think it is awesome.
    Heavy squats, lunges, deadlifts etc are must if you want a toned, bigger, perky *kitten* which is what I want.

A home gym is not an option for me since I do not have room for a squat rack and I like to eventually lift extremely heavy and won't be able to do a clean and get the bar behind my back. I'm also going to increase my weight weekly etc... so will need heavier weights all the time. It's just easier to go to the gym despite having to deal with the annoyance of being in the presence of 99.9 percent men....

I've never felt weak or intimidated and I'm not traditional so I like to defy societal norms. However, it severely irritates me to be around a bunch of guys in order to lift since there are hardly any women in the weight room. I actually feel SEVERELY irritated and annoyed and pissed off at this; maybe that's good, my anger can fuel my workout.

I am not scared of weights; I just get pissed off by the men in the weight room. It is annoying to be around a bunch of guys; it's like a sausage fest.

I think many women are like me; not afraid of weights or lifting heavy. Not afraid of the weight room but don't like to be around the MEN in the weight room. It is the presence of the GUYS that holds some back.

Most female gyms are for overweight or out of shape people and don't have squat racks or super heavy barbells for people that wanna go hard so we have no choice but to go to a coed gym where men dominate the weight rooms.
  • jacquelinecao75
    Options
    And as for why I like to lift heavy? For me it's ALL aesthetics. I don't care at all about functional strength or carrying groceries. I care about looking good in clothes and looking good naked. That's about it. My *kitten* and legs look better when they are toned; arms look better. It's just much more sexier than being mushy or skinny/fat and having no muscle tone. I enjoy lifting and don't find it boring. I am aggressive like a guy; I have a lot of anger/aggression inside of me and like to get it out by working out hard.
  • randrews0407
    randrews0407 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    There have been a lot of reasons folks have posted in this thread for why they don't use the weights at the gym. I'm a 5'2" woman. I lift heavy every day I'm at the gym. I am usually one of the only women in the free weight area. Most women stick to the machines, even if they venture outside of the cardio areas.

My two cents (okay, more like 25 cents):

1) Free weights do a completely different thing than zumba (or other classes). Free weights build muscle, which helps boost your metabolic rate, promote fat loss, and make you look leaner. They're also badass.

2) Most men are not looking at you. Most men in the free weight area are just as insecure as the women are. They either are beginners who have no idea what they're doing, or they were beginners once and hung out in the free weight area long enough to have figured out a program they can do. I've seen men with great form, lifting a bunch of weight. And I've seen timid men on entirely biceps-focused programs and terrible lifting form wishing they could hide under a bench because they're so intimidated. In general, though, most people have their earbuds in and are ignoring everyone else around them. They don't really think of the free weights as "their territory", they think of the free weight area as the place that has the weights in it.

3) Men, when they DO notice a woman in the free weight area, are totally impressed by us. It's true that, unlike my boyfriend, I typically wander into the free weight area and no one feels like they can approach me. My boyfriend has made quite a few friends that are all guys who just struck up conversations with him; nobody has felt like doing that with me. It *did* make me feel a little unwelcome... until my boyfriend told me how one guy he met at the gym randomly said to him in the middle of their conversation, "By the way, dude, your girlfriend is amazing. She lifts more weight than some men. That's just awesome."

4) It's okay to not lift that much. Every guy started as a beginner with an empty bar. Every single one. So what if you can't lift 300 lbs or you're still learning or whatever? Every lifter was in that boat. People appreciate people who are trying, not people who are afraid to give it a shot.

5) The internet is amazing. Free weights seem terrifying or dangerous or like you need some form of skill to do them. It does help to have someone show you the ropes. But we live in an internet age where there are youtube self-help videos for everything. There are exactly 4 basic moves you need to learn to start a strength training program, and ALL can be done safely without a spotter -- bench press, squat, deadlift, and row. The internet abounds with videos to show you how to do these exercises heavy and with good form. The squat rack will safely spot you in a barbell squat, and dumbbell versions of all four exercises are basically spotter proof, especially at the light weights that most beginners start at. If you still feel insecure, most gyms offer a free training session that you can use to check your form and learn these exercises, and in my experience, almost every person in the free weight session of a gym is willing and eager to give form tips and spot people if you ask. ESPECIALLY if you are a girl.

6) Lifting weights may be boring. And, I definitely don't think you should do things in the gym that you think are dull. But, one could argue that 60 minutes on a treadmill staring at the paint chips on the wall is boring. I find that setting a lifting goal helps with the boredom, the constant stimulation of moving from free weight station to free weight station is mentally stimulating, and that it's hard to be bored when you're straining under a heavy weight close to failure. I find that free weights are boring when they aren't challenging enough; if you're bored, perhaps try adding more weight or building a structured program so that you have a defined goal?

There's nothing about the Y chromosome that gives men an exclusive pass to free weights and strength training.

If you're a woman who wants to 1) lose weight, 2) get healthier, and/or 3) want to look fabulous, you should be lifting heavy. We pay for the free weight section too, and we have just as much a right to be there as any guy. Also, we make that lifting stuff look good.

THIS ^^^^
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    They don't really think of the free weights as "their territory", they think of the free weight area as the place that has the weights in it.

Exactly! Most of the "they're thinking this or that" stuff is only in our own heads - the only way you know what someone is actually thinking is if they tell you. So why not assume they're in the weight lifting area to... lift... weights? If they *were* going over there to be all judgy, they'd probably be pretty bored. And occasionally shamed, because there's always someone better somewhere.