What is the biggest unexpected surprise after losing weight?

Options

Replies

• helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I'm not far off goal weight now, and TBH the thing that has surprised me the most is that things aren't as great as I thought they would be.

I thought that losing weight and exercising more would help my asthma. But it hasn't so far.

I also thought that clothes shopping would be so much easier, but it isn't. The things that used to suit me don't suit me anymore and I can't figure out what suits me now.

I don't regret losing weight, but the results aren't as great as I thought they would be.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm not far off goal weight now, and TBH the thing that has surprised me the most is that things aren't as great as I thought they would be.

I thought that losing weight and exercising more would help my asthma. But it hasn't so far.

I also thought that clothes shopping would be so much easier, but it isn't. The things that used to suit me don't suit me anymore and I can't figure out what suits me now.

I don't regret losing weight, but the results aren't as great as I thought they would be.

Try watching a programme by Gok Wan. he tells women what suits them depending on their shape. Its only natural that your style will change because your shape has. You'll soon find a style and cut that will suit you loads more :)
  • Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Just how cold I am. It this what thinner people have been dealing with all their life?

Also the compliments on losing weight and looking better. I never got compliments when I was bigger. It feels pretty nice. But being so unaccustomed to it, I dont know how to deal with the compliments.

But still no attention from girls yet...
  • RunningMom42
    RunningMom42 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I HATE the way my face looks now. I'm so sad about it. I've worked so hard to lose this weight and still have 30 pounds to go and I hate to look at pictures of myself now. I look so wrinkled, old and tired. Everyone else on here looks so much younger and healthier in their after pictures. :-(
  • slynnalex
    slynnalex Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I find that I can wear more fitted clothes now - a big change for me. I'm not trying to cover up my butt and middle any more. I can wear a pair of boots and a sweater dress!
    I still have self confidence issues, but now I don't want to wear my 'fat clothes' I want to show off a little.
    Some people have said, 'Where's the rest of you?' It will take a while for me to get used to being this size I think, but I'm SO happy that I'm on this journey to have a healthier life and be here for my kids.

Try watching a programme by Gok Wan. he tells women what suits them depending on their shape. Its only natural that your style will change because your shape has. You'll soon find a style and cut that will suit you loads more :)
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I got pregnant after being told I couldn't.
  • BellaEle
    Options
    My feet got smaller! Went from a 9/9.5 to an 8.

I thought I was imagining things but my shoes are all feeling bigger! I'm glad I'm not alone!

Mine too!! From a 9 to a 7.5/8.. I'm happy I'm not the only one!
  • Merlin569
    Merlin569 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    since no guys have said it. apparently every 30-40lbs you lose youre little soldier is said to gain an inch.

now, im not sure cause i dont have two yardsticks to properly measure but.....

LOL!!
  • LoriIone
    LoriIone Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My cutest pair of jeans, that I LOVE and wear all the time, are too big and don't look too flattering on me....which I hate. I LOVE that that they are getting too big but the next size smaller is still a little snug in the waist....something I didn't think of, they should make jean half sizes! But where I shop they don't.
  • hgrizzle
    Options
    I used to hate going to the Dr. for checkups because I would get the you are too fat talk and she would send me home with these pamphlets describing proper diet and exercise at every visit. The biggest surprise so far was how much she praised me the last time I went in for a checkup. She was really happy for me and excited that I had lost so much weight. She kept telling me I should write a book and open a personal trainer business lol. It was a huge ego boost for me!

Some of the things other people have mentioned as well. For instance, former students and other people I barely know come up to me to complement me. I also used to love the cold (family called me a polar bear), but now I bundle up and use the heater in the winter. And even though I still have plenty of weight to loose I've lost a lot of padding on my butt. Sitting on a hard bench or stadium seat is pretty uncomfortable now.
  • isabulle13
    Options

It also surprises me that I don't see it. I was wearing a size 20/22, now I'm in 8/10. How can I not see that? I honestly don't know-but I really don't. And that is a surprise to me. Everyone else sees it-but I don't.

Do you "feel" it, though? 75 lbs - that's quite a bit! Do you feel like you breathe better, move better? And with pictures now vs. before?

I've known people who said they had an "aha" moment - not seeing anything for pounds and pounds and one day, they look in the mirror one second longer than usual and they finally see it.

And even with a few pounds I'm also colder. And although I don't see it either, I bought one cute bikini set for my upcoming vacation in the Caribbean, that I'm looking forward to wear!
  • Jribeiro86
    Jribeiro86 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My biggest unexpected surprise after losing the weight I have so far...was how much and often I touch my neck (collar bone) area. Feeling the bones there now, feels just...hard to explain. But when I noticed it at first it was like, "OMG! I have bones!!!" and it almost seems like a habit to just touch them, and such. :laugh:

^Oh my gosh, THIS! I've been overweight to varying degrees my whole life, so I've never really had visible collar bones or a long neck before. I'm about 45 lbs into my weight loss now and SURPRISE! there were bones underneath after all. :) I didn't even realize how important it was to me to have such things, but I frequently catch myself touching my neck as I work or when I'm on the phone... Like subconsciously, I can't believe these pretty, feminine features actually belong to me.
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    Me too with the collar bones! Love em! Cheek bones too.
    I'm still like, look, I have bones!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    My hands are cold all the time also. And since the fat loss around my groin are well things are a tad larger or appear to be due to the fat loss. My wife hates it :-))
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    the biggest surprise was that when I looked in the mirror, I still saw the fat girl. It took quite a long time to truly see myself as I now was as opposed to how I used to be.

As far as being treated differently, yes in more ways than one. I lost a few friends along the way which I think was due to their own insecurities. I found that my close friends were super supportive and proud of me and have stood by me all along while the others obviously were no real friends. I also find that women always have something to say about the way I look. Mainly it's something to the effect of being too skinny. Usually the women who say that are severely over weight. Other than that, I don't feel like anyone else treats me different.
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Im so jealous of you guys who lost shoe sizes.. I'm still a size 9 sob

However I no longer fear shopping for knee high boots lol
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Lots of skin sag, I guess I didn;t expect it in the amount I have it.

BUT on the bright side.. I love all the looks I get now ;) Makes me feel like I look good!
  • mchrys81
    Options
    My feet shrunk I couldn't believe it! Also I am always cold.
  • Ghette
    Ghette Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Bump:happy:
  • appelsiinipuu
    appelsiinipuu Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    How much more comfortable movie theater and airplane seats are now!

I can't wait for this one!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!