What is the biggest unexpected surprise after losing weight?

Options

Replies

• HapThompson
    HapThompson Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Negative things I didn't expect:

I know alot of people have said it, but I can't believe how cold I am all the time.
    I miss my old clothes - i've had to completely change my wardrobe because i've gone down three dress sizes and I look at some of my shirts and blouses and feel a little sad. I didn't expect that.
    I am now a UK size 16, which pretty much means that I can walk into almost any high street shop and find something that fits me but I can't find anything I want to buy - I though i'd walk into a shop and just buy everything!
    I miss my boobs.

Positives:
    Picking up something in a 22 automatically, then realising it'll be way too big.
    Being able to cross my arms in front of my chest.
    Feeling my hip bones - I don't think I ever have before!
    Not recognising body parts as belonging to me: are those really MY thighs, calves, hips etc...?!
    Getting referred to as "cute" by a guy in a pub.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I never became "attractive". I thought I would. I've still never been flirted with, hit on, or had a drink bought for me the way all my other friends who've lost weight said they had once they lost weight.

I always thought being slimmer would mean I was automatically going to be good-looking. it was a pretty big eye-opener when that didn't happen.

so i got all depressed about it and gained the weight back
  • Dougf90
    Dougf90 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Going from not caring at all to caring probably a little bit too much about your appearance. It's turned me in to a perfectionist, I guess it's not a terrible thing but it can suck at times.

Instead of rolling out of bed, you can use your arms to pole vault yourself out of it.

People do treat you differently, but it's probably because of how you carry yourself. Attention from the ladies is nice, too! :wink:
  • ats4908
    ats4908 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It may sound stupid but I can jump much higher when I play basketball. I have been playing overweight for so many years I just stop jumping unless it was really necessary. Now I am grabbing rebounds and blocking shot like I was a teenager.
  • hph442
    hph442 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I often crave healthy food, I enjoy exercise (gasp) and I always wanted to have sex again, what!
  • Firestar98
    Firestar98 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm cold...All the time...But it's a small price to pay.

I'm cold all the time as well! I used to not care if my house was around 60-62 degrees, now it's gotta' be 66 or better, and I will have a blanket on me while sitting on the couch if it's under 70.

There's days I want to gain weight JUST so I can stay warm without a blanket, then sanity kicks in and I go back to losing weight. :)
  • McCelmer
    McCelmer Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm cold...All the time...But it's a small price to pay.

lmao.... me too.
  • DoinItIn2013
    Options
    Bump
  • agoofynut
    agoofynut Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It also surprises me that I don't see it. I was wearing a size 20/22, now I'm in 8/10. How can I not see that? I honestly don't know-but I really don't. And that is a surprise to me. Everyone else sees it-but I don't.

THIS. I'm not as small as you are but I've gone from a 28/30 to a 18/20 and don't see it at all. I think I look just as big as I was.

I know I'm smaller though. Last night we went out to eat at a mexican place that we used to go to almost weekly before I started losing weight and I said they must have spaced out the booths more because of how much more room we had and my son immediately said "no mom, you're shrinking!". :laugh: I just wish I could look at myself and see the difference.
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    As a guy, and I apologise if this is rather crude

My junk has like an extra inch if not 1.5 inches through losing the weight :D I was already average so now I just look like a monster...

WOO WOO :D

LOL :laugh:
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! I hope this works for me as well.
  • Americanbabydoll
    Americanbabydoll Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Bump. I haven't lost enough to notice a difference, but I love reading about others losses.
  • StephMcC89
    StephMcC89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can't wait for all this! Getting there :-)
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I never became "attractive". I thought I would. I've still never been flirted with, hit on, or had a drink bought for me the way all my other friends who've lost weight said they had once they lost weight.

I always thought being slimmer would mean I was automatically going to be good-looking. it was a pretty big eye-opener when that didn't happen.

so i got all depressed about it and gained the weight back

This is an issue of confidence!! Confidence is the reason for the attention. Your friends lost weight and it made them CONfIDENT so they were approached and hit on. You lost weight but it sounds like your confidence did not improve. It's so much easier said than done, I know, but you can do it! Get the body and the happiness and confidence in YOURSELF and the free drinks will follow ;) you can do it!! Attractiveness comes from within and has nothing to do with weight other than overweight people tend to lack confidence which affects their attractiveness. If you need proof look to all the MFPers in happy loving relationships who are losing weight for their health and have loads of confidence and self respect. If you are confident you can be attractive at any size. Hang in there !!!
  • jenniferwren
    Options

My junk has like an extra inch if not 1.5 inches through losing the weight :D I was already average so now I just look like a monster...

How you doin?!

bahahahaha:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :drinker:
  • ReneeDittmar
    ReneeDittmar Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    One of my biggest surprises is how much I like having my picture taken again. I guess I never noticed how much I hid from the camera until looking through photos of my kids and we have lots of pics with kids and daddy but very few with mommy. Now...I'm like "Take our picture!" So happy that I'll have those memories in print now. And hopefully it helps keep me accountable.

This is one of my inspirations. I'm never in the pictures and I need to change that! Thank you for sharing.
  • lkplibra
    lkplibra Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking soda and all artifical sweetners 4 months ago and now water tastes sweet to me. Very strange!
  • RhodRhod
    RhodRhod Posts: 109
    Options
    My biggest surprise is that my energy level is through the roof. I've only lost 4 lbs since I joined on here but have been losing weight since October of last year for a total of 32 lbs. so far. My husband told me the other night that I was now jiggly in all the right places. LOL Of course I'm aiming for not jiggly at all but I'll take what I can get.
  • mermaidlmb
    Options
    totally agree. Once I start to feel more sexy, I can be more sexy
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options

It's the same size but as you lose weight you have less padding in your pelvic area and it makes you... effectively bigger. My wife has definitely benefited.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!