Has anyone lost weight eating less than 1200 calories a day?

Options

Replies

• emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    If you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight.
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Just curious! I actually ate around 1000 calories per day several years back and lost really well! This was before the starvation mode thing was even a known factor (as far as I knew at least) I lost 60 lb easily within 7 months...I gained my weight due to some depression issues ONLY which of course will happen on any diet! Soooo would like to know if this has worked for anyone else!

And have you pet it off?????
  • UneJolieFemme
    UneJolieFemme Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It works for me. I am alternating between P90x and running, and eating around 1200 cal/day. Worked after baby #1 and is working too after baby#2. i am 5'2, small built tho. Try it and see for yourself, you can adjust if it doesn't work for you.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Anyone can lose on less that 1200 a day, the question is, is it weight you wanna lose weight or mostly fat? Cuz eating that low will promote more muscle loss.
    Some folks BMR is less than 1000.

The people in this thread do not know their BMRs. That is the issue.
  • loranch
    loranch Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This topic gives me a migraine every time.

Ugh...

THIS!!!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I am a bit older. I checked with 3 of my doctors and was told to eat 1000 calories a day to lose. If I eat 1200 I gain weight Much of it is age. In my 30's..40's I lost so easy. Now at 60 it is difficult.

I'll be 55 in March of this year. Still losing. I eat between 1700 and 1800 every day. It is possible.

NO WAY!! I thought you were in your 30s!!! You look AMAZING!!!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Anyone can lose on less that 1200 a day, the question is, is it weight you wanna lose weight or mostly fat? Cuz eating that low will promote more muscle loss.
    What if someone's BMR is below 1200? Some folks BMR is less than 1200.

This is very true. But as far as a healthy person with no diseases go...or a person who can increase their BMR to what it should be by eating sensibly...the math shows that I'd have to be about 85 pounds (at 5'7). And if we talk about shorties, a 20 year old 4'9er would still have to be under 85 lbs for their BMR to be less then 1200...and even if they were...they'd still lose on that...For their TDEE to be under 1200 at 4'9 they would have to weigh under 44 lbs. Not a look I think people should go for...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

This is very true. But as far as a healthy person with no diseases go...or a person who can increase their BMR to what it should be by eating sensibly...the math shows that I'd have to be about 85 pounds (at 5'7). And if we talk about shorties, a 20 year old 4'9er would still have to be under 85 lbs for their BMR to be less then 1200...and even if they were...they'd still lose on that...For their TDEE to be under 1200 at 4'9 they would have to weigh under 44 lbs. Not a look I think people should go for...

Not everyone is 20 years old.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I'd bet quite a few do.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Four years is great, and now you're back to get a tune up. GOOD!! Congrats!

Thank you. Maintenance is flipping hard. I have always felt it is way harder than losing the weight. I'm not perfect at it, probably never will be...but I'm always in the fight!

oh, btw, every few years your metabolism will do a CLUNK, downshift. Which will necessitate a tuneup. You may have had one of those down shifts. I've had 3 or 4. They suck. :smile:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Pshh, they wish they were lol.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    If I eat 1700 calories a day I'd be mooing in no time. Sorry, but especially when you get older and your metabolism slows, your caloric intake to lose weight or to maintain it is much different than when you are younger. I eat 900 calories a day, with slight variation either way. I'm healthy, fit, and maintained my 70 pound weight for more than 5 years before gaining back a few pounds which I have now dispatched again. YES you can lose weight eating less than 1200 calories a day! EVERYONE's needs are different and don't let anyone here tell you otherwise!!!

I hate these posts.... don't know why I even bother to respond. Google "starvation mode" to see what that truly means. I'd say you're in no danger of getting anywhere close to that. There are so many "experts" on this forum that will tell you why everything you are doing is wrong. If you really want to know what you should be doing, consult an ACTUAL expert.... a dietitian, nutritionist, and your doctor. You will get lots of misguided information here from well intentioned folks who are just filled with advice, a great deal of which is just plain wrong.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Pshh, they wish they were lol.
    Sure, but they're not. I'm pushing 50 and at 5'6" and 132lbs my BMR is heading into the 1200s soon... My sister at 50 and 5'2" has a BMR around 1000....
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options

They must be short & not weigh that much if they have BMRs that low, or old as I reckon age plays a part? I'm 5'5 120 24yrs old & my BMR is higher than 1200.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Less that a few percent of the population and almost no one that is obese has a TDEE below 1400.

Median TDEE In America is recognized at the nice round number of 2000 for women. It is likely a little higher as per the Geneva study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11320913).

Median.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    As said above though, you will still lose if you eat ab your BMR, as long as you're not above your TDEE, you wont gain weight.
  • jenn_in_sj
    jenn_in_sj Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine does this every time she has a wedding to attend or a big function when she knows she's going to see her ex-husband with his latest piece of 40-years-younger arm candy. She always loses A LOT and looks wonderful for her event and then the minute she eats normally again she gains it back FAST. I would recommend staying within your guidelines for calories. it may pay off in the short-term but you might find yourself scrambling to maintain or continue losing after that. My mother is a dietician and she always says don't try any kind of diet or weight loss trick unless it's something you can do for LIFE. (Like people who can give up sugar or carbs tend to only be able to do it for a short time and then the weight creeps back when they eat normally again). I have taken her advice and will only to what I can turn in to a life habit. Like exercising every day and calorie counting but eating a little bit of everything and not feeling deprived. : )
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I am a bit older. I checked with 3 of my doctors and was told to eat 1000 calories a day to lose. If I eat 1200 I gain weight Much of it is age. In my 30's..40's I lost so easy. Now at 60 it is difficult.

Doctors are not the greatest to take nutrition advice from. THey know barely anything about nutrition and anyone who does shouldn't be telling someone it's ok to eat so litte.

I would rather take advice from a nutritionist or dietician. They really know about food.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

They must be short & not weigh that much if they have BMRs that low, or old as I reckon age plays a part? I'm 5'5 120 24yrs old & my BMR is higher than 1200.
    That's it. They are old, or shorter, or older and shorter than you... less active, more active, physically disabiled..their needs might be different....Their goals might be different.

I'm not advocating at 1200 calorie diet. Just wondering why folks are being such absolutists without considering lives and (importantly) life styles that differ from their own.

I could be on the chit chat section harping on everyone who doesn't put 400 a month into their 401k. That's where I'm at. Others may be thinking: wtf is a 401k and why do I care? My lifestyle and my needs may be different than theirs.
    And please, don't bring up snowflakes.
This discussion has been closed.