Has anyone lost weight eating less than 1200 calories a day?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If I eat 1700 calories a day I'd be mooing in no time. Sorry, but especially when you get older and your metabolism slows, your caloric intake to lose weight or to maintain it is much different than when you are younger.

I'm 44 years old and menopausal and my TDEE is around 2200. I lost weight (20+ pounds in four months) eating around 1700, and reduced BF% from 30-ish to 23-ish. So I say phooey to you and your slowing older metabolism! :)

The key is in keeping your metabolism alive by not turning into a couch potato - I do some sort of exercise every day, including regular strength training, and I am probably stronger now than I was in my cardio-crazy 30s.

I have no horse in the 1200 calorie race, but my question is why deprive yourself? You can eat cake, drink wine AND lose weight!

EXACTLY! I am 40 years old and only 5'1", and my TDEE is over 1900 calories. I eat between 1400-1600 calories and lose weight very consistently. Do I lose 2 pounds a week? Nope, but that's not my goal. My goal is to be strong, and be able to eat this way for the rest of my life, and since I spent over 20 years weighing well over 200 pounds, I figure 5 years of losing weight eating enough food for me to be satisfied is well worth the time and sacrifice.

Looks like you lost a few pounds there! Congratulations!
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    The diet I've been on for the last two months allows me to eat 1200 calories a day and my results have been amazing, I've lost around 15 pounds, but that also includes eating healthy and exercise. I'd recommend limiting yourself to around 1200 calories a day if you're serious about losing weight.

What about the people who've lost far more than you have while eating A LOT more than that? This makes me sad not only because it's spreading misinformation, but because you really believe it and are restricting yourself in a way that isn't necessary, unless a medical condition is present.

This!!! Wow the people who lost a lot whilst eating lots weren't serious obviously. They probably all really ate 1000 cals a day and lied
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Help...I think I have figured out my TDEE at 1755 but I have no idea what that means or how much I should be eating. I am on the 1200 plan but I work out so much that I am always well under what the recommended calorie intake should be. My plan allows for a bit more protein and less carbs because I had gastric bypass seven years ago and my doctor wants me on 60 grams of protein a day. I actually struggle to get in more than 1400 calories because I always feel full, especially after workouts. I've been on the program since Jan. 4th and have lost 10lb. so far. I'm happy with how things are going but am fearful of that dreaded starvation mode I keep hearing about by not eating enough to make up for the exercise add ons. Suggestions?

Where did you get the 1755 number? If that is a picture of you in your profile that number seems off. Also, after having a gastric bypass can change things with the regular math as well as add reasons why you shouldn't eat so much. But it's been many years and I'm not sure how a gastric bypass works after that and if you go back to eating a regular amount of food? If so...

It sounds to me that you have MFP set up in a way that you should be logging your exercise calories and eating those back. Otherwise, you would have your exercise built in automatically and your recommendation would be higher. This site does not recommend eating under 1200 cals and usually bans threads that promote eating less then that if someone reports them. Extra protein is a great idea then the recommendation on this site. The site's recommendation is based on the RDI, which stands for the minimum protein intake to avoid deficiency. There's a thread about this here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/869015-fundamental-flaws-with-rda-recommendations-for-protein
    and here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/823505-research-on-protien-intake

With that being said, I'd recommend bringing that to the attention of your doctor before changing it and asking if the recommendation is so low for a specific reason (unless you know the reason already). I don't know much about it. It may have something to do with the fact you had a bypass.

As for starvation mode, a lot of people have a misconception of what it actually is...so I'm not sure what you think it is. If you think it's something where you can eat 2 calories a day and consistently gain weight, then no, that doesn't exist.

If you think it's something that can cause your metabolism to slow down then yes, it can and absolutely well. Our metabolism is as fast as our energy expenditure which is a sum of our RMR+EAT+NEAT+TEF. Look up those terms to learn more about them
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermogenesis
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resting_metabolic_rate
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermic_effect_of_food

Your body only has as much energy as you give it. There are many factors associated with low calorie diets that slow down the metabolism. If your body has less fuel to work with, it will shut off certain functions so it doesn't need to run as high. Thermogenesis for example (the process of heat production in organisms) tends to slow down. Many people on low calorie diets will feel cold. Also, when you are eating more then your energy expenditure for a extended period of time, it well speed up. You'll also gain weight when you do so. So despite the large person that tells the skinny person they have a fast metabolism...the larger person is the one with the faster RMR (resting metabolic rate). If they're eating the same amount, then the smaller person moves around more.

Also, it's normal to feel full on whatever calories you eat long term. Even if it's 400 calories. Some scientists believe it's a survival mechanism. '"the cause of this therapeutic anorexia is not known but it is likely to help obese subjects to comply with prolonged periods of caloric restriction." http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/49/5/745.short
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Bye-bye muscle and hello never being able to eat normal again without re-gaining weight at lightning speed. Thanks to the muscle you lost in your low cal loss it will be even harder to lose again. Also, if someone is beginning at an obese level and attempts to lose that way they will most likely look absolutely deflated.

It's sad that all of the basics aren't readily available at easy obvious access with citations and explanations. Took me years of research to figure it all out and weed through the bulls*it.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Bye-bye muscle and hello never being able to eat normal again without re-gaining weight at lightning speed. Thanks to the muscle you lost in your low cal loss it will be even harder to lose again. Also, if someone is beginning at an obese level and attempts to lose that way they will most likely look absolutely deflated.

It's sad that all of the basics aren't readily available at easy obvious access with citations and explanations. Took me years of research to figure it all out and weed through the bulls*it.
    ^this.....this was exactly my problem.
  • amyschicos
    amyschicos Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    To the OP - just curious why you asked a question when you were going to do whatever you wanted anyway? The only poster you have thanked was the one telling people they weren't serious about dieting unless they ate 1200 or less.

Tell that to the 20+ pounds of fat I lost while eating 1700 a day.......

Seriously. Do what you want, but don't come back here crying when you hit middle age and have stuffed your metabolism so badly that you have to eat 1200 just to maintain.

Ohhhh HUSH IT!! She was NICE for a change so I basically thanked for her kindness that's pretty much what I meant!! Don't worry WON'T be coming back complaining!!
  • AMS44067
    Options
    you should reconsider your judgment on me not exercising. I am 60 years old and can hardly walk due to major back problems. I would love to walk or exercise moderately, but if you ever had a back injury you would know what I am talking about. I am living with constant pain for almost 30 years!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    This sounds like the road to an eating disorder. 1200 was already iffy in my book from personal experience..but coming on here to ask about eating even less??? :noway: :sick:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

edit
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

That's it. They are old, or shorter, or older and shorter than you... less active, more active, physically disabiled..their needs might be different....Their goals might be different.

I'm not advocating at 1200 calorie diet. Just wondering why folks are being such absolutists without considering lives and (importantly) life styles that differ from their own.

I could be on the chit chat section harping on everyone who doesn't put 400 a month into their 401k. That's where I'm at. Others may be thinking: wtf is a 401k and why do I care? My lifestyle and my needs may be different than theirs.
    And please, don't bring up snowflakes.

There are very, very, very few people who have a BMR of 1200 or less... but that doesn't matter because you shouldn't be eating at or below your BMR anyway. You should be eating your TDEE which is totally more than your BMR.

And besides, do any of the people in this thread who are advocating a 1200 calorie diet even KNOW their BMR? Or their TDEE? No, they do not.

How do I know that? Because they are 1) asking if they should do it, and 2) telling others to do it.
    Eating your TDEE? to lose weight?
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure? You have to do the work yourself that's for sure. Just asking people for the answer won't be enough. Research nutrition and the what/why of it all. In the meantime, do the best you can!

edit
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Anyone can lose on less that 1200 a day, the question is, is it weight you wanna lose weight or mostly fat? Cuz eating that low will promote more muscle loss.
    Some folks BMR is less than 1000.
    What does BMR have to do with it? Weight loss comes from eating at a deficit from your TDEE - and I doubt anybody here has a TDEE below 1000.
    But the whole thread was based on the 1200 calorie premise...my point: some folks BMR is at, around or below 1200. So why do we act like 1200 calories is the death knell for all people of all ages?
  • smitty24
    Options
    ^This is what I'm afraid of...

I'm hovering above >1200 a day, not really dipping under (<1200). Despite exercising regularly with both cardio and weights - alternating. Weight initially dipped straight away and has fallen off gradually since, but despite my increased exercising the fitter I've gotten of late, my loss of weight has slowed. Almost to a plateau point. A point of a review or assessment perhaps?

I'm looking healthier (been told) and feeling healthier but I'm keen on losing more. So my diet or intake type may need a tweak..

or even my exercising needs quality and not quantity?
    ^This is where I'm at. > Weeding and trying to figure out the answers to my body.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Exactly!!! it took you "years of research" to get where you are... so why do folks mock folks who aren't there yet?
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

this blog post seems appropriate here:

"A personal letter to the 1200 calorie dieters"

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/mongoosedog/view/a-personal-letter-to-the-1200-calorie-dieters-481934
  • CoderGal
    Options
    To the OP - just curious why you asked a question when you were going to do whatever you wanted anyway? The only poster you have thanked was the one telling people they weren't serious about dieting unless they ate 1200 or less.

Tell that to the 20+ pounds of fat I lost while eating 1700 a day.......

Seriously. Do what you want, but don't come back here crying when you hit middle age and have stuffed your metabolism so badly that you have to eat 1200 just to maintain.

Ohhhh HUSH IT!! She was NICE for a change so I basically thanked for her kindness that's pretty much what I meant!! Don't worry WON'T be coming back complaining!!
    Just think about it for a second. Say you cared about someones health and you saw that they were being pulled in by a bunch of people who only wanted to show one side of what you thought was a very unhealthy healthy thing when the majority of people in that group don't appear to see the other options. Did you expect everyone to come in and be nice and happy about it?

Some people have ended up going down that road and suffering for it all because they didn't listen to those 'rude' voices:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/572503-why-you-should-eat-more-a-lion-s-tale
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/494091-i-just-don-t-care-anymore
  • Cynclancurrie
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight eating about 500 cal a day. Unfortunately, I didn't realize that this would trigger a descent into depression that I still fight today. Nutrition is a strange thing. Hope we learn more about it. But I must warn those who have a tendency toward mental illness If you find yourself eating almost nothing, you may end up becoming depressed.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Anyone can lose on less that 1200 a day, the question is, is it weight you wanna lose weight or mostly fat? Cuz eating that low will promote more muscle loss.
    Some folks BMR is less than 1000.
    What does BMR have to do with it? Weight loss comes from eating at a deficit from your TDEE - and I doubt anybody here has a TDEE below 1000.
    But the whole thread was based on the 1200 calorie premise...my point: some folks BMR is at, around or below 1200. So why do we act like 1200 calories is the death knell for all people of all ages?
    So your point is that some peoples energy expenditure is much more then that? I thought your point was that they could need lower...1200 is quite an arbitrarily low number for everyone. Same with 1201 and so forth. The 'death knell' should be a ratio but somewhere along the lines the masses decided that everyone was the same height weight and muscle mass and since people like to lose weight fast (and some people need to and refuse or cannot do it with exercise, and apparently skinny and sedentary is better then over weight and sedentary) below 1200 was the lowest value for a women and 1500 was the lowest for a man. New and more extreme circumstances exists by the day.
  • CoderGal
    Options

I'm hovering above >1200 a day, not really dipping under (<1200). Despite exercising regularly with both cardio and weights - alternating. Weight initially dipped straight away and has fallen off gradually since, but despite my increased exercising the fitter I've gotten of late, my loss of weight has slowed. Almost to a plateau point. A point of a review or assessment perhaps?

I'm looking healthier (been told) and feeling healthier but I'm keen on losing more. So my diet or intake type may need a tweak..

^This is where I'm at. > Weeding and trying to figure out the answers to my body.
    Can I steal you away from here and pump you full of scholarly studies and treat you like an experiment doll? :D
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

I'll give you my .02 - I think any healthy young man of average or greater size who eats anywhere near 1200 calories a day is completely out of his mind. I'm 50 years old, lift 3x/wk and mix in a bit of cardio and I'm still losing (verrry slowly, but that's by design) on 2400 cal/day. If you're young and active, your TDEE is probably close to 3000 cal/day - you're creating a HUGE deficit by eating that low, then further deepening the deficit by exercise. If one of your goals is to hang on to lean body mass while you lose the fat, you couldn't be doing it any more wrong, IMO.

Do yourself a favor; take a minute to read this article:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

Then go to these threads and get your calorie intake straightened out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
This discussion has been closed.