Ending 1200 Calorie Bashing: Respecting Your Peers

Options

Replies

• crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Where are we at as a community when the person recommending medical consultation and highlighting that there is not a one-method-fits-all solution is treated like they are absurd? That thread is downright discouraging and depressing. Why couldn't it have carried the tone of something like "1200-Calorie Roadblocks and Alternatives?" Why would it outright attack people like me and try to make us feel doomed?

So again, please, try to actually be my fitness pals, not my fitness judge and jury. Words are very powerful things and we have to be careful with them.

With love,
    Natalie

I love this whole post, but especially that quote.

Where are we as a community if the person recommending medical consultation ... is treated like they are absurd?

- at a turning point where some people need to stop pushing their habits and beliefs onto other people as "The Only Way To Jesus". People like you should be cheered for standing up and calling out intimidation and a culture of insulting people who follow this website's own calorie recommendations.

Yes, people can lose weight with a less drastic calorie cut, and -2 lbs a week would require a caloric restriction below 1200...(which is why MFP stops there) but most of us are so sick and tired of being overweight and tired of hating ourselves and feeling like we aren't good enough because we are overweight that we need to do something about it NOW, we need to make ACTUAL progress traveling down the road.

If you start a long journey, and only make it a half mile from your home, how likely is it that you would turn around and convince yourself that you should go back and sit on your couch.. As opposed to making it ten miles, turning around would be just as hard as pushing forward.

This is a psychological battle because we cannot quit our drug or coping mechanism of choice. Alcoholics can stop drinking, heroin users can go to rehab, but overeaters cannot stop eating, in fact it is required that they continue to eat, and all it takes to fall off the wagon is "just one more bite"

OMG! This^
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    OP: quick question. Somewhere many pages back you said you were eating 1,200 net. Would you mind telling us how many calories are you eating gross? Just trying to understand context here.
  • Alexfit12
    Options
    Thank you. Feel free to add me.
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Good luck sticking to that for many years. I did that for 4 years and destroyed my metabolism and hit a plateau about 2 years ago. I only recently started losing weight again after eating more... (which boggled my brain)

I think people are genuinely trying to help so you don't end up in that situation it isn't an easy one to get out of.

You don't understand that people just want to help you before you end up unable to lose weight.. I won't go off and call people stupid (people can do what they want), but I will say that after 4 years of eating like a bird and nothing happening anymore it is the MOST depressing thing. You don't know what you're doing wrong, you're starving yourself trying so hard, exercising like mad and the numbers dont move. It is worse than being overweight and knowing what your problem is...

I did that for years. YEARS! Quick results in a short amount of time that then stop and don't move. Only eating more fixed it...

I also fail to see how sticking to the default 1200 MFP calories can be good for EVERYONE. People act like MFP calculated those calories for them specifically. I got news, that is what everyone starts out with. :/
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Where are we at as a community when the person recommending medical consultation and highlighting that there is not a one-method-fits-all solution is treated like they are absurd? That thread is downright discouraging and depressing. Why couldn't it have carried the tone of something like "1200-Calorie Roadblocks and Alternatives?" Why would it outright attack people like me and try to make us feel doomed?

So again, please, try to actually be my fitness pals, not my fitness judge and jury. Words are very powerful things and we have to be careful with them.

With love,
    Natalie

I love this whole post, but especially that quote.

Where are we as a community if the person recommending medical consultation ... is treated like they are absurd?

- at a turning point where some people need to stop pushing their habits and beliefs onto other people as "The Only Way To Jesus". People like you should be cheered for standing up and calling out intimidation and a culture of insulting people who follow this website's own calorie recommendations.

Yes, people can lose weight with a less drastic calorie cut, and -2 lbs a week would require a caloric restriction below 1200...(which is why MFP stops there) but most of us are so sick and tired of being overweight and tired of hating ourselves and feeling like we aren't good enough because we are overweight that we need to do something about it NOW, we need to make ACTUAL progress traveling down the road.

If you start a long journey, and only make it a half mile from your home, how likely is it that you would turn around and convince yourself that you should go back and sit on your couch.. As opposed to making it ten miles, turning around would be just as hard as pushing forward.

This is a psychological battle because we cannot quit our drug or coping mechanism of choice. Alcoholics can stop drinking, heroin users can go to rehab, but overeaters cannot stop eating, in fact it is required that they continue to eat, and all it takes to fall off the wagon is "just one more bite"

OMG! This^

This was my favorite as well :heart:
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Good luck sticking to that for many years. I did that for 4 years and destroyed my metabolism and hit a plateau about 2 years ago. I only recently started losing weight again after eating more... (which boggled my brain)

I think people are genuinely trying to help so you don't end up in that situation it isn't an easy one to get out of.

I also fail to see how sticking to the default 1200 MFP calories can be good for EVERYONE. People act like MFP calculated those calories for them specifically. I got news, that is what everyone starts out with. :/

Go back and read the ENTIRE thread hun lol You're WAY behind.

And then when you're done....Read it again.

It doesn't sound like you got past the first sentence. If you did, you would know that she's not on 1200 because of what MFP says.
  • zuppie76
    Options
    I genuinely don't understand why people need to be so nasty to each other, especially when they join a website for support. I am very sorry that others have treated you in this way. Of course we are all different. Take for example medication for mental illnesses - doctors (qualified ones at that) mess around with meds to try to figure out what works *for that person*. We *are* all different - body size, approach, culture - and to be honest, that's what is so appealing about this.

I very rarely come on to the message boards because I have two kids, a home to run and I'm writing up my PhD. Yes, I'm smart. Hopefully in a few months I can actually be called "Doctor" ... does that give me the right to dole out medical advice? No!!! I'm working on education! To suggest that a trainer, who has to go through a short course on physiology, is better than a doctor is laughable and speaks to the intelligence (or lack thereof) of the person who is suggesting it.

Keep doing what you're doing and what your doctor advises you to do. I am in a different position with less to lose, but I also have health problems (endometriosis and arthritis in my hip ... think the warranty is about up on me) and find it hard to stay active during flare ups.

Take care, best of luck and don't let stupidity get to you: you appear to be too smart for that!
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    OP: quick question. Somewhere many pages back you said you were eating 1,200 net. Would you mind telling us how many calories are you eating gross? Just trying to understand context here.

I think what you're referring to is when I said that it is true that many people are setting themselves as sedentary and not eating calories back when they, perhaps, should.

As for myself, and again my BMR is extraordinarily low, I do not "eat back" exercise calories visibly on MFP. My 1100-1200 range is with my doctors already factoring in 2.5 hours per week of moderate exercise and my exercise is all carefully tracked and monitored with a heart rate monitor to make sure I don't push past that. I CERTAINLY do not recommend this to anyone without extensive monitoring and testing because it's much too low to be safe for most. I still log my exercise in to MFP because I like to 1) have encouragement and 2) keep track of days and food together vs. my workouts just being on other apps.
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    very well timed and important post OP. congratulations to you for being so rational, articulate and calm.hope it helps build awareness.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    OP, :drinker:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I think what you're referring to is when I said that it is true that many people are setting themselves as sedentary and not eating calories back when they, perhaps, should.

As for myself, and again my BMR is extraordinarily low, I do not "eat back" exercise calories visibly on MFP. My 1100-1200 range is with my doctors already factoring in 2.5 hours per week of moderate exercise and my exercise is all carefully tracked and monitored with a heart rate monitor to make sure I don't push past that. I CERTAINLY do not recommend this to anyone without extensive monitoring and testing because it's much too low to be safe for most. I still log my exercise in to MFP because I like to 1) have encouragement and 2) keep track of days and food together vs. my workouts just being on other apps.

Thanks for clarifying - it is a long thread and I though I saw it a ways back - I must have misread.

ETA: it was actually someone else who mentioned it.
  • Toumani
    Toumani Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I genuinely don't understand why people need to be so nasty to each other, especially when they join a website for support. I am very sorry that others have treated you in this way. Of course we are all different. Take for example medication for mental illnesses - doctors (qualified ones at that) mess around with meds to try to figure out what works *for that person*. We *are* all different - body size, approach, culture - and to be honest, that's what is so appealing about this.

I very rarely come on to the message boards because I have two kids, a home to run and I'm writing up my PhD. Yes, I'm smart. Hopefully in a few months I can actually be called "Doctor" ... does that give me the right to dole out medical advice? No!!! I'm working on education! To suggest that a trainer, who has to go through a short course on physiology, is better than a doctor is laughable and speaks to the intelligence (or lack thereof) of the person who is suggesting it.

Keep doing what you're doing and what your doctor advises you to do. I am in a different position with less to lose, but I also have health problems (endometriosis and arthritis in my hip ... think the warranty is about up on me) and find it hard to stay active during flare ups.

Take care, best of luck and don't let stupidity get to you: you appear to be too smart for that!

First off, respect, Zuppie for working on such a project as a PhD with kids!

I was thinking this the whole time when people in this thread have been writing "I don't trust doctors" and "so what if a person has a degree in the subject"?

I have a doctorate in a different subject, computational linguistics, but to be fair, I have formally studied the subject for 12 years before receiving the degree, and then did groundbreaking research, so you could say, yes, I *AM* the authority in certain areas of my field, ie, that what I did and do my research in. Nobody else has, so they look at my research.

I may not always be right, because of course I don't have all the knowledge there is, but I would be amused if someone off the internet would claim they know more about the subject than I do because they took a course in it. I don't know all the answers but I have a lot more years experience under my belt to know how to approach/solve an issue in the field.

So, please, stop with "what do doctors know"?!? They can try to assist people like Natalie in a controlled environment.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I'm going to point out something obvious about TDEE prediction formulas that I hope everyone realizes.

When one has restricted calories, chronically, they lower their Resting Metabolic Rate which in turn reduces their TDEE.

If one restricts for several months, like many members here, their TDEE will have adjusted downward - the longer and steeper the deficit, the greater the decline in RMR/TDEE. Thus, if you calculate your TDEE during caloric restriction, it should be of no surprise to see your adjusted TDEE is likely considerably lower - perhaps by several hundred calories - than what your actual TDEE was during maintenance or in a consistent state of adipose gain.

This brings me to my point: The use of TDEE predictions are meant to provide an estimate of energy needs when a person is eating the maximal amount of calories to maintain their weight relative to activity. If a person has created a significant calorie bias due to long-term restriction, they should look at that first as to why their energy needs have all of a sudden become so low rather than state how grossly off the prediction formulas are.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I want to make a very brief reply to this:

I started out about 4 or 5 years ago at 372 pounds. I joined Jenny Craig and was put on 2250 calories a day. I dropped weight easily, even without exercise. Life happened, and I couldn't afford Jenny Craig anymore, so I started on Atkin's. All told, I got down to 290 pounds, eating a fair amount of food. With PCOS.

I moved, I joined the Y, and I started exercising and WEIGHT TRAINING. I got down to 272.

Fast forward to about a year ago and well, I won't go into the gory details, but after living with my in-laws for over a year, watching them tear my house to shreds, and then watching my fiance almost bleed to death on the kitchen floor, I kind of sank into a pretty crippling depression. I got back up to 325. In a hurry.

Now I'm back on the wagon. I've been around here for a while, trying to read and absorb. Listening to the 'everything in moderation crowd'.

Here is what works for me and what does not. With PCOS, but otherwise, fairly normal bloodwork and blood pressure. Eat everything in moderation? No. Dieting only to lose weight? Everyone says it works, but it really doesn't. What works is moderating carb intake, eliminating heavily processed carbs and added sugars. And busting my *kitten* at the gym. And yes, this includes weight lifting. Once you start reducing body fat, you reduce the estrogen in your body, and this causes the testosterone to drop. I can't speak to people who have doctor recommended extreme cuts, but I will say this. There are not a lot of doctors that specialize in nutrition. It's a fairly long confusing topic, and can require years of study.

This. Most doctors are only required to take one nutrition course. Honestly, I don't trust my doctors, because they recommend whatever the government recommends, and the government is all about low-fat processed crap and shizloads of grains. Which in my opinion isn't healthy, but that's just me. :drinker:

Seconding this--doctors have failed me repeatedly, especially when it comes to anything that is a chronic condition. They seem to be great in the ER if you've got some acute problem...broken bone, a cut that needs stitches, etc. But if you want them to figure out what is going on with your body over a longer time period, and especially in situations when there isn't some totally obvious answer, they really aren't so great in my experience.

I also agree with the comment about doctors and the gov't being in bed together. Throw the big pharmaceutical industry in there too, and it's a right mess. Be very wary!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Posting the screen shot isn't the most awesome thing in this thread, but it does prove once and for all that there has been much too much judgement and bashing. We can argue left and right about what MFP will consider private in these terms. Should a moderator speak with me, I'll gladly remove it. We'll cross that bridge when and if we should come to it. And if that one post is removed--we will be left with a handful of nay sayers who tried to pull negative from what is an incredibly positive thread.

I've had, much to my surprise, hundreds of messages and friend requests in just 24 short hours. I cannot believe the overwhelmingly positive response from people who are trying their best to become healthy or stay healthy in the face of so many challenges. I in no way feel like it's Natalie vs. Dan. I respect those who have defended my point. And I'll say it one last time (though I must have said it 100 times already): Dan is probably a pretty decent guy. Dan spends his time running numbers and stuff for people and filling in a certain gap on MFP. However, no one should attack anyone's person and I still have not done that--though I have certainly tried to reveal an underlying disdain tainting our community.

Nobody in this community ever deserves to, publicly or privately, denigrate someone's person. Nobody should feel scared to talk here. Nobody should be afraid of being a freaking snowflake.

I don't think anyone loves that I posted that picture. It probably makes everyone cringe. It sure as heck hurt me a lot. Nay sayers--don't bother rambling that it's the internet and I need a thick skin. The internet is a part of society and I was called a B**** in front of hundreds of people. We need to be accountable on the internet. We have diaries and friends on here to increase our accountability! When my friends, not even 1% of them even said the faintest thing about Dan's character, I shot it down and focused on how personal attacks are reprehensible. I only ask for others to do the same.

I never attacked IPOARM. If you dare accuse me of that--be sure to carefully reread everything first. It never happened, not in the slightest. I was friends with Dan in the first place and had sent him a personal message long before this thread mentioning how kind it was to calculate numbers for people. And hey--maybe Dan was having a bad day today. I don't care about this one instance as much as I care about the environment that supports it and feeds it.

Among those friend requests I've had were messages from dozens of people on the verge of quitting MFP because of that tone. That's tragic. This place is an essential resource. Again, in a society where 1/3 of Americans suffer from obesity, why would we ever push people seeking weight loss help away or make them feel unwelcome? Why has there been any angry response to what I originally posted? It never attacked anyone. It never told anyone how to eat. It never told anyone how not to eat. It told people be nice; try to find a nicer way to communicate concerns.

Respect is where this thread began and it is where I hope it will continue.

No, it isn't the best thing.

And certainly in the area of respect - of dubious value because it will polarize people. Bravo to the two of you in helping to create an environment that will make things more frustrating. This is now occurring inspite of the good intentions of both of you because you both fail to see that often people do not look at a situation as a spectrum of possibilities but as a dichotomy of choices.
    Respect for your condition and medical situation and weight loss is also an understanding that what you went through with doctors that prescribed higher calorie diets and other methods first is that clinically that was the right thing to do. You are now at a point were you have found your own path - criticism of that path as a general solution or even as the healthiest solution for 10% of the population does not make sense.
    If you are getting hundreds of friend requests for eating at or below 1200 then in among them are a significant number of people that are looking for validation to unhealthy eating habits without medical supervision without regard to micronutrient diversity. It's actually sad that from a reasonable request for respect what you are actually achieving is a groupthink of "us" against "them".
    Except in the case of exceptional individuals, and ideally with clinically identified diseases or conditions, eating at these levels should be considered as the improper way to address weight loss for a variety of reasons. I invite you to recognize that and remind people as needed - eating disorders are serious and this exchange is bound to attract, trigger and justify an associative unhealthy behavior in at least some cases.
    I see and understand your point, for you, but I think many here do not take the measure of the extent of EDs and dysmorphias on this site.
  • DhiaUK
    DhiaUK Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this post.

Although I registered on the site last year, I didn't start using it until a week ago. I've been reading posts but making very few myself as I was beginning to feel uncomfortable with the anti-1200 tones of some threads. It's impossible to make friends on the site when you feel embarrassed to post.

I do eat my exercise calories, but I'm starting out after a year plus of no exercise (medically enforced). Whilst I won't go below 1200 calories and will eat at least a proportion of exercise calories, for the past year my lifestyle has been sedentary and it will some time to get to a stage where my calorie burn will be significant. It'll help more once my polar heart rate monitor has a new battery and there are some accurate numbers to work with as well! :laugh:

Hope to get to know the rest of you more in the future.
  • rachey_v
    rachey_v Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Society exists only as a mental concept, in the real world there are only individuals. OSCAR WILDE.

This thread makes me sad. There are more important things in life than counting someone else's calories... :(

OP- stay true to yourself!
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options

No, it isn't the best thing.

And certainly in the area of respect - of dubious value because it will polarize people. Bravo to the two of you in helping to create an environment that will make things more frustrating. This is now occurring inspite of the good intentions of both of you because you both fail to see that often people do not look at a situation as a spectrum of possibilities but as a dichotomy of choices.
    Respect for your condition and medical situation and weight loss is also an understanding that what you went through with doctors that prescribed higher calorie diets and other methods first is that clinically that was the right thing to do. You are now at a point were you have found your own path - criticism of that path as a general solution or even as the healthiest solution for 10% of the population does not make sense.
    If you are getting hundreds of friend requests for eating at or below 1200 then in among them are a significant number of people that are looking for validation to unhealthy eating habits without medical supervision without regard to micronutrient diversity. It's actually sad that from a reasonable request for respect what you are actually achieving is a groupthink of "us" against "them".
    Except in the case of exceptional individuals, and ideally with clinically identified diseases or conditions, eating at these levels should be considered as the improper way to address weight loss for a variety of reasons. I invite you to recognize that and remind people as needed - eating disorders are serious and this exchange is bound to attract, trigger and justify an associative unhealthy behavior in at least some cases.
    I see and understand your point, for you, but I think many here do not take the measure of the extent of EDs and dysmorphias on this site.

Thanks for your comment--just a few quick things. I did not say my friend requests are coming from 1200 calorie people. I merely said I have had requests from people who just want to be a part of a healthy and positive environment. In fact, the vast majority of friends I'm making are eating well over 1200, and I've even recommended IPOARM and considering increasing calories for those having trouble at lower intakes who don't have specific medical advice. I'd never support EDs and I am not pro-1200. I'm pro medical consult and careful evaluation of caloric intake.
  • G_iulia80
    G_iulia80 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The doctors also recommended me a 1.200 calories diet, which I intend to keep it. I mention that I have other medical issues, too.

Thank you so much for your post, Natalie!

I need some friends that are on a similar diet recommended by the doctors.

Feel free to add me!
  • Toumani
    Toumani Posts: 78 Member
    Options

Seconding this--doctors have failed me repeatedly, especially when it comes to anything that is a chronic condition. They seem to be great in the ER if you've got some acute problem...broken bone, a cut that needs stitches, etc. But if you want them to figure out what is going on with your body over a longer time period, and especially in situations when there isn't some totally obvious answer, they really aren't so great in my experience.

I also agree with the comment about doctors and the gov't being in bed together. Throw the big pharmaceutical industry in there too, and it's a right mess. Be very wary!

Hmmm, that's awful. I'm guessing this is in the US, correct? Does your health insurance not cover specialists?
This discussion has been closed.