Giving popcorn flavour without calories?

Options

Replies

• KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    i sprinkle dill on mine, yummy!
  • brittrose33
    Options
    Awesome thread, I am trying all of these! I'm a popcorn fiend.
  • Hopelessone
    Hopelessone Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Bump! I love popcorn
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    My son and I love popcorn. I pop my own on the stove with smart balance w/ flax light butter. Just melt a tablespoon or two depending on how much you are making put the kernels in, lid on and shake until its done popping, then season with garlic and seasoning salt. Its delish!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    WOW! thanks for all the ideas. My main issue was getting stuff to stick to the corn - I've used sea salt but most of it ended in the bottom of the bowl:tongue: I expect I can get the "I can't believe its not butter" spray over here - many of the other suggestions are just not available in the UK (booo!). I love parmesan, but I was concerned about adding too many calories. 0 fat and 0 calories added are what I'm aiming for:bigsmile: Off to check my Ocado order........
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    If you're in the UK, then the very nicest thing you can put on popcorn is Marmite. Mmm mmm. It's a bit of a faff because the best way to do it is to put your popped corn out of the microwave into a big non-stick pan with the marmite and toss it around. But so delicious.
  • rblesd
    rblesd Posts: 28
    Options
    look at making the chex mix "dressing" less the butter.

1 1/4 tsp. seasoned salt or butter flavored seasoning. (ie land o lakes)
    4 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

I liked it. But take it to work? never tried that.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I've put some of the yeast stuff recommended onto my shoppng order. I love marmite but couldn't see how to spread it around the popcorn:bigsmile:
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    nori/seaweed flakes. You can get them in Asian markets or sometimes Whole Foods.

Adds nutrition, almost no calories, and it's delicious. Nori is the sheet of seaweed that goes on sushi rolls.

I absolutely can't wait to try this! We always have furikake in the house (husband is asian), but never thought of putting it on popcorn!

Is it time for snack yet?
  • rhonsal
    rhonsal Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Smoked spicy paprika - yum!
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    Frank's hot sauce on air popped popcorn is one of my favorite snacks!
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    smoked paprika is delicious!
  • cutierozie
    cutierozie Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Get a olive oil spritzer and fill it up with an infused flavor olive oil of your choice it works freaking great.
    One spray usually is about 1/4 tsp of oil.
  • DanaJ1983
    Options
    I know this sounds really weird but I like to use a little bit of olive oil cooking spray and Nutritional food yeast (Big flakes) It is pretty tasty and I have the added delight of knowing I'm getting B vitamins
  • bccorbett123
    Options
    Just remember that because butter is a fat, that doesn't mean it is unhealthy. There is a large difference between healthy and unhealthy fats. I love popcorn, eat it just about every night, probably shouldn't eat it quite that often but I eat it in moderation. I pop 1/4 cup of kernels in either canola (i know that this isn't real healthy) or olive oil. I put salt and butter on it. That amount of popcorn usually lasts 3-5 nights (my wife doesn't partake in it with me). I figure that a little bit of butter and salt spread out over a few days is not that unhealthy for me.
    Does anyone agree or disagree with me? Because I am no nutritional expert.
  • ronnathebest
    Options
    I sprinkle chili powder and sea salt and spritz lime juice.
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    i use rosemary and salt but they actually have different flavored shakers you can buy for popcorn and they have no calories: bufallo, white cheddar and salt and vinegar are theones I have.
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    oh, love the chili powder, sea salt, lime juice idea! Thanks!
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I like spicy...so chili powder! But really, experiment with spices that you know you like. Curry might be a good one too if you like curry.
  • Fragilebird24
    Fragilebird24 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I use hot sauce. Just don't put TOO much on. I've made that mistake many times before.