PISSED. Squats & lunges made me bigger.. wtf!!

Options

Replies

• jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I ride my bicycle. I love it :)
    One thing I've read and actually noticed is working for me..Don't work your problem area with strength exercises. What you are actually doing is building muscle under the fat and pushing the fat out making your problem area bigger. Which is why I stopped doing sit-ups and crunches cuz they makes my stomach bigger. cardio is the way to go. I suggest Dancing with your friends or something along those lines. Keep it fun and you'll do more often. Another tip: When it comes to losing weight and staying healthy you want to think about your routine in the long run. Do you see yourself running in 20 years? Or going to gym every day in 20 years. If they answer is no than you need to find something else you enjoy doing. I enjoy biking and I see myself continuing to do so in the long run...so that is what I've chosen. I hope this helps you :)

I just literally LOL'ed at this advice. I'm sorry, I know that sounds mean, but I honestly did.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Based on the information here, scientists need to start bottling up estrogen and start injecting bodybuilders with it like it's going out of style. Then apparently they'll get massive doing next to nothing!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    women are different -low weights high reps. That will slim you down and build muscle but not bulky muscle.

No, just no.

Muscle is muscle and it is very hard for a woman to gain any appreciable mass.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that thinks that firm but thick butts and thighs are sexy? Bring on the squats and lunges for me!!!
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    This thread is funny.... It took me 6 months of solid lifting to actually GAIN in my legs... and they look awesome. But, hey... if you want a fat JIGGLY *kitten*, by all means, do yo thang girl!
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I ride my bicycle. I love it :)
    One thing I've read and actually noticed is working for me..Don't work your problem area with strength exercises. What you are actually doing is building muscle under the fat and pushing the fat out making your problem area bigger. Which is why I stopped doing sit-ups and crunches cuz they makes my stomach bigger. cardio is the way to go. I suggest Dancing with your friends or something along those lines. Keep it fun and you'll do more often. Another tip: When it comes to losing weight and staying healthy you want to think about your routine in the long run. Do you see yourself running in 20 years? Or going to gym every day in 20 years. If they answer is no than you need to find something else you enjoy doing. I enjoy biking and I see myself continuing to do so in the long run...so that is what I've chosen. I hope this helps you :)

I just literally LOL'ed at this advice. I'm sorry, I know that sounds mean, but I honestly did.

Nope not mean; I almost just spit out my food laughing. While I see the point in finding something you love she was trying to make, the other stuff is just a flat out face palm.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    In my case, walking (lots of it) took out the hips and thighs. Squats etc built up my glutes (butt). I did gain an inch around my hips from them but it made for a really nice firm behind. Plus strong glutes support your lower back!
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm hourglass shaped and squats and lunges have been a lifesaver for me. My booty looks amazing.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    I've tried the whole squat lunges stuff and for a long time.
    My thighs only got bigger. I'm just blocked out what others say about squats and lunges.
    I just do intense cardio and a bit of the stair climber and my thighs are fairly good
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    A++ thread! Would read again!

:laugh:
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    bigger isn't bad, jiggly is bad. Focus
  • vleebow
    vleebow Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. My problem area is my butt and hips too. I have been doing serious cardio for the past month and lost 1/2" in my neck, an inch in my waist and an inch in my hips. I've dedicated this past month to heavy cardio, which includes running the bleachers 3 x's a week and long runs on the weekend. I plan on incorporating weights in my 2nd month. Maybe try a combination of cardio & weights? Honestly, I like having a bump--but I want to LIFT that bump. Ha ha!

DON'T GIVE UP! Good luck! ;-)
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Based on the information here, scientists need to start bottling up estrogen and start injecting bodybuilders with it like it's going out of style. Then apparently they'll get massive doing next to nothing!

LOL. Truth. It would be a gold mine, no?
  • vleebow
    vleebow Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    bigger isn't bad, jiggly is bad. Focus

TOTALLY agree with this comment. LOL.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    This thread is funny.... It took me 6 months of solid lifting to actually GAIN in my legs... and they look awesome. But, hey... if you want a fat JIGGLY *kitten*, by all means, do yo thang girl!

Smack dat *kitten*?
    Fo sho!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    women are different -low weights high reps. That will slim you down and build muscle but not bulky muscle.

No, just no.

Muscle is muscle and it is very hard for a woman to gain any appreciable mass.

you're so wrong, Sara! I have been lifting heavy weights and clearly I'm the size of Arnold Swartzenegger!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    I'd say you are retaining water in those muscles. Keep at it. You will slim down. A lot of women on my FL are the poster children for what squats/lifting can do for a woman's figure. You should pm them and get their thoughts: Crankstr, _crafty_, and the_dizzle all show fantastic results from squats specifically!
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Somebody kill this old thread and put it out of its misery. She did not gain an inch of muscle in a month (or two). STOP. I am pear-shaped, naturally muscular, and I lift heavy (for 8 years). My thighs have become much slimmer over time. I am not bulky. It is HARD to gain muscle size and if you are not deliberately gearing your DIET (surplus) and exercise to specifically build muscle size it won't happen. It just doesn't work that way. The end.

Yep - not sure why it was necromanced.

IT'S ALL MY FAULT! X_x And I just did it again, LOL! :3
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Deleting my own post after just noticing how old this thread is...
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I am one of those, my legs seem to gain size easily too type people. I also like lifting heavier. So I compromise. 50% body weight squats/lunges/etc from all directions. And then 50% heavier weights. So I get the benefit of both schools of thoughts.

Making steady progress. My legs are changing, and I know I'll never be part of the skinny leg club. It just isn't in my genetic potential.