Replies

• ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    power walk/jog/run/ walk up and down steps
  • vbrent07
    vbrent07 Posts: 115
    Options
    I usually like to go outside and exercise but since it's so cold I have dvds. I rotate Turbo Jam, 30 day shred, and Biggest loser cardio max. If I get bored with them I will borrow Zumba or something else from one of my friends. I do have a coupon for a gym for free week but I haven't had the time to use it yet!
  • Kwpenguin
    Kwpenguin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    check with the rec near you, see if they have a sliding school, or a "scholarship" fund, or something of the sort. I know ymca's do.
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    If there is a YMCA branch in your area, check them out. They offer financial assistance for those who qualify. I don't qualify for that, but my employer partners with the Y for reduced memberships for employees, which is nice.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I also recommend nerdfitness.com

There are also a ton of workout videos on youtube, including all the popular Jillian Michaels videos (free and legally posted)

I prefer to exercise outside, even if it's stupid cold, so I go for walks and run.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Several online sites offer workouts, complete w/ youtube videos.
    Youtube itself is great for workouts.
    Thrift store/second hand (criaglist) is another place to get low price stuff.
    If you have a video game console, they make several games (not just fitness - dance games, other movement based) that are fun ways to workout.
    Books (cd/dvd/vcr) at the library.

You don't have to buy things like weights either - water bottle, cans of food, bags of rice/beans for lighter weight.

Get creative :)
  • Caryn03
    Caryn03 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    there are always people on kijiji looking for workout buddies.
    Maybe look for one who has a couple of machine or DVD's, you get free use of equipment and they get the help to stay motivated, win-win.

I've never heard of kijiji
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    After seeing the photos from a friend who ran a 15k race on ice at 2°F (well below zero after the wind chill), I realized that saying "It's cold outside" was just me being a wimp.

I'm still not willing to be as brave (or nuts!) as my friend, but I will run outside at 10°F. Or in the rain or if it's snowing. But not on ice.

I bought my weight bench and barbell set for about $100 from Sears, and bought more plates as I went along. I consider it an investment in my future health. If I had more patience and smarts, I would have waited until I found some on Craigslist or at a flea market, yard sale or thrift shop.

Before I bought my weights, I'd sometimes deadlift two 40 pound buckets of cat litter.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    c25k (couch to 5k) is a free app for your phone...
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    My gym costs $10.00 a month or roughly 30 cents a day. Maybe you can continue shopping for a less expensive gym?

Man and I thought my 24$ a month was cheap
  • robinsnest02
    robinsnest02 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know the high school in my area allows anyone to use it. You may want to look into that.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    There are so many options open to you through the web, books and dvd's. You don't need a gym but you do need to be a self starter and make yourself do the work. Money shouldn't be an issue.
  • ashprather
    ashprather Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    blogilates on youtube.
  • kshea68
    kshea68 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you have internet or a smart phone you can youtube and get exercises programs right in your own home such as insanity, etc. and that kind of program you do not need any equipment. My daughter in college does program right from her phone or computer--no equipment needed and gets the best workout ever.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I walk, a lot. Living in a cold climate doesn't deter me, I have a 9 month old black lab that doesn't care what the weather, she needs exercise. My rule is: if it's colder than minus 15 I don't go and so far we haven't been that cold. Pushups, situps, squats, are just a few strength training exercise that don't require equipment. That being said, I have a basement full of exercise stuff, a treadmill, a bowflex, and exercise bike that don't see a lot of use because I really prefer to be outside. I wish you luck, this isn't an easy road to follow, but MFP really helps.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I don't like spending money on a gym membership either. I do home workouts. Jillian Michaels' DVDs are cheap; I just bought Ripped in 30 on Walmart.com for $8.00. I also have 30 Day Shred and 6 Week Six-Pack, which were all under $10 each. All you need are small dumbells (3 or 5 lb.).
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I couldn't afford to join our local YMCA ($75 a month, are you kidding me?!) so in place of "exercising" I started off just walking around my neighborhood. Good weather, bad weather, cold or hot (tho less in the hot.) I picked up some cheap wrist weights to keep my arms busy while I walked.
  • ashprather
    ashprather Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    nike training club app
  • GeorgieLove708
    GeorgieLove708 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I buy day passes to my gym ($13 a trip), do workout videos, and lots of body-weight exercises at home. In warmer weather I do walk and run outside, but I don't own winter workout gear or a winter coat so no way am I doing that in sub-zero temps.
  • KelBelz22
    KelBelz22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My gym costs $10.00 a month or roughly 30 cents a day. Maybe you can continue shopping for a less expensive gym?

Dang, I would be stoked to find a gym that is $10.00 a month. I will have to see what I can find.

Planet Fitness is $10.00 a month. I go there. It's basic but it has all the equipment. No frills. But for low budget it works perfectly. www.planetfitness.com and see if theres a location close enough to you.