• Carrie_D
    Carrie_D Posts: 120
    Options
    One of my family favorites:
    1 whole chicken and take off as much skin as possible
    Red or white potatoes
    Carrots
    Celery

Poke potatoes and layer in the bottom of the crockpot. Top with carrots and celery. After the chicken has had its skin removed, season all sides with onion powder, garlic powder, and a little seasoned salt. Place on top of the potatoes and veggies. Cover with lid and cook 6-8 hours. No liquid is needed. The chicken releases its natural juices as it cooks and flavors the veggies and potatoes. NOTE: If your crockpot cooks very hot, add vegetable or chicken broth (low sodium) to the bottom.
  • lacbusybee
    lacbusybee Posts: 5
    Options
    Bump bump bump yummmmmmmmmm!
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever made Gumbo in the crockpot?

I'm going to try it. If you have any hints or recipes, please repost them.

Thanks,

JAM

PS: I've got shrimp and mild sausage that I can use for the meat.
  • anewg
    anewg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Suzanita
    Suzanita Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Suzanita
    Suzanita Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sunnysmile
    sunnysmile Posts: 1,192
    Options
    Here's a great easy dessert for the crockpot, believe it or not ... cheesecake comes out great

Crock Pot Cheesecake Recipe
    pan that will fit in crockpot (I use a pyrex loaf pan)

Ingredients

Crust (optional)
    •1 cup graham cracker crumbs
    •2 tbs cup brown sugar (I use Splenda spoonful here, save calories, can't tell the difference)
    •3 tbs cup butter, melted

Cheesecake filling
    •16 ounces cream cheese, softened
    •3/4 cup sugar (I use Splenda spoonful here, save calories, can't tell the difference)
    •2 large eggs
    •1/4 cup heavy cream
    •1 teaspoon vanilla
    •1 tablespoon flour

Directions:

1.Combine graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, and butter and press into pan sprayed with Pam (for easy slip out later).

2.In a large bowl, beat eggs well. Add cheese and sugar and continue to blend until fluffy. Add cream, vanilla and flour and beat an additional 2 minutes. Pour mixture on top of crust. (I own a Vitamix blender and mix it in it and pour it in the pan when done)

3. Put in crock pot, then add a cup water to the crock pot around it for the water bath. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours (be sure to put two layers paper towels on inside of lid to stop moisture that gathers on the lid of the crockpot from falling onto the cheesecake)

4.After two hours, check it at that point, if it looks set then it's done, otherwise continue for a bit. Let cool for an hour in crock pot. Then refrigerate for 2 hours before serving (or longer).

I tried making this with lower fat cream cheese and lower fat milk instead of cream and it just doesn't do it, but getting rid of the sugar does work, splenda works great and saves calories and is great for the diabetic.

Happy Mother's Day
  • wantmycurvesback
    Options
    I make a pulled pork in the crock at least once a week:

pork tenderloin and enough Coke or Dr, Pepper to cover it, let it go all day and it just falls apart - pull it out carefully from the liquid and shred.... add bbq sauce and serve over low cal buns.

The soda helps break down the proteins so it's extremely tender and the fat also just floats off.
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    bump-thanks!
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I do a taco soup just grab a couple cans of differnt kinds of beans, a can of corn, brown some hamburger and add a packet of taco seasoning. Simmer all day then eat with cheese sour cream (if you like it) and corn chips. Even my 2 year old loves it.

Yum! My version of TACO SOUP is: can of red beans, can of black beans, chopped onion and green pepper, 1/2 can corn, chopped tomatoes, taco seasoning, 2 shredded chicken breasts (or a can or two of chicken) 1/2 jar of salsa. Serve with fat free shredded cheese, sour cream and a few nacho chips as topping! It is great served with corn bread and slaw! Enjoy!
  • chris31
    chris31 Posts: 19
    Options
    What does bump m:ohwell: ean
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: I love my crock pot and could do with more ideas, I tend to put some sort of meat veg and a few potatoes in first thing and leave them all day.

Some good ideas here for me to try too.

Viv :smile:
  • Eliza0930
    Eliza0930 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jiweber
    jiweber Posts: 5
    Options
    Here's a family favorite:

3 cans low fat cream of mushroom soup
    2 small cans mushroom
    1 small onion chopped
    1-2 pounds beef stew meat -I don't cook the meat before hand, it cooks in the crockpot
    pepper to taste

Throw all in crockpot and cook for about 7 hours

Put over whole wheat egg noodles for beef and noodles-YUM!
  • SuzMcH
    SuzMcH Posts: 343 Member
    Options

pork tenderloin and enough Coke or Dr, Pepper to cover it, let it go all day and it just falls apart - pull it out carefully from the liquid and shred.... add bbq sauce and serve over low cal buns.

The soda helps break down the proteins so it's extremely tender and the fat also just floats off.

Really ? Could I use diet coke or Dr P zero ? In UK pulled pork isn't a regular on weekly menu but I want to try it. From reading other posts I assumed you had to cook in the bbq sauce ?
  • wantmycurvesback
    Options

Really ? Could I use diet coke or Dr P zero ? In UK pulled pork isn't a regular on weekly menu but I want to try it. From reading other posts I assumed you had to cook in the bbq sauce ?

Yes, you can use diet soda... but the soda is the ONLY thing I add to the crockpot. After it is done cooking, I drain the liquid (soda and fat) and then shred the meat and THEN add the BBQ sauce. :)
  • erica79
    erica79 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    bump- thanks everyone
  • sorellabella
    sorellabella Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Brisket
    Red wine about a cup (optional)
    Can of chopped tomatoes
    Season with salt (garlic salt is also good), pepper
    Add 2 cans of salsa verde

Simmer about 8 hrs on high

Get home change crockpot to warm or low ...shred your brisket with two forks meat should be supper tender so this is a piece of cake. Heat up some corn tortillas, chop up some avocado, onion, tomatoes, cilantro, lime and make yourself some tacos. Your family will love them.............mine do!!! I always come off as the best mom ever and it takes me less than a half hour to put together for them.
  • livingnlove
    livingnlove Posts: 49
    Options
    bump
    4507 Posts: 5
    Options
    Cook a whole chicken in the crock pot with a can of chicken broth, salt, pepper & any other seasoning you like. When done you can make warm chicken sandwiches, cook noodles in the broth (after you've skimmed the fat) & have chicken & noodles, or transfer the skimmed broth to a pan & add some veggies (carrots, celery, onions, etc.) & serve the chicken with veggies.

My real favorite is roast beef. Put roast in crock pot with chunks of potatoes, carrots, onions & celery & add a can of beef broth, salt and pepper. When done, just scoop out what you want & the rest can stay warm. You can get everything ready the night before, store it in the refrigerator overnight & then just turn on the crock pot the next morning.

Soup: Start with either beef stew meat, crumbled, lean ground beef or chunks of chicken or turkey breast. Add a package of frozen vegetables, chopped onion, a can of beef or chicken broth, depending on what kind of meat you are using, a 12 oz. can of V-8 or tomato juice or a can of diced tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook all day. Serve with crackers, pita bread, etc.