• smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Just break up then

Kick her in the taco.

lol.
  • mommamisty823
    Options
    a couple of my coworkers are and DH's family. I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes about 2 weeks ago (I found out from a phone call at work and freaked out....so my co workers know). And a few of them can't stop offering md junk food, donuts, cupcakes, cookies, mixed coffee drinks etc. Drives me crazy, most of the time I say "No thank you" but when they start with the "Oh, it won't hurt." it starts to get to me.
  • imthejenjen
    imthejenjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I smell an 'ABC afterschool special' here...

<script>

<skinny girl walks around corner... opens one side of trenchcoat...> "Pssst! Wanna honey bun?"

<...switches to coat's other side...> "...How 'bout some Skittles? Got dem Skittles right here!"

438891-Royalty-Free-RF-Clip-Art-Illustration-Of-A-Cartoon-Boss-Sitting-At-His-Desk-With-A-No-Sign.jpg

LMFAO!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • imthejenjen
    imthejenjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    SINCE you've already all told her about it, she's just being nasty now or needs a stonger stance. The next time she offers you food, accept it sweetly and while still talking to her...walk over to the trash and toss it in the garbage. She will be pissed and say something and you just repeat whatever it is you told her when you asked her to stop food pushing. She'll be mad for a minute but isn't going to end the friendship over a wasted pecan roll. And hopefully this will make such an impression she will never offer again.

lol. gotta love the passive aggressive ;]
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I usually just say "No thank you." It really works wonders.

this is my strategy as well! and i always think to myself that i break down the phrase like this:

"no (honoring myself) + thank you (honoring the other person, but while keeping myself a priority)"

when looked at this way, it becomes an almost spiritual practice. it is simple, firm, kind (to ME and others), and directs attention AWAY from food
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    My mother is like this. She's always buying junk food. Yesterday she bought a container of mini chocolate cupcakes (I only ate one). It gets annoying, I need to develop a stronger will power.

PS what's a pecan roll?
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    my sister is like this. one minute she is trying to lose weight. will exercise with me like crazy. but then she is eating fast food every night for dinner and drinking full calorie monsters. in your case, i think she uses you to settle her conscious when she eats these foods. kinda like a if she does it, i can thing. you either need to brush it off or make a bold statement that your trying to lose weight and to stop.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Another way to stop them in their tracks, ask them what's in it. Like a list of ingredients. Then ask about each ingredient and keep digging for more and more detail until they give up. Take it to the absurd if necessary. Water? Is that tap water, distilled water, purified water, mountain spring water, organic non-GMO cage-free water?

Don't ever be satisfied with their description of the ingredient, keep digging further. So is that heavy water? What's the protium/deuterium/tritium ratio? ...
  • Eightcosmo
    Options
    Lol, sounds like a couple of my co workers. I solved the problem. I started making 2 and 3 of my healthy lunches and offering them to my co workers. Lentel salads, Spaghetti squash dish, my 10 almonds a day, fresh steel oats for breakie with blueberries and strawberries, daily carrot cake yogurt ( carborator) 6 bean dish, veggie chili just to name a few yummies. After a few months I had both of them eating what I do and they enjoy my foods now. I can now saw "I have them eating out of my hand" literally, lol.
    Good Luck and stay positive. Your health is about you and only you. Be kind to yourself, you deserve it!! :wink:
  • cheshire1865
    Options
    My friend at work does this and because I adore her dearly, I don't want to hurt her feelings. I have taken to saying "thanks honey but I have my snacks all prepared." and show her my fruit. Sometimes she tries to give me packets of crisps and stuff so I have a packet "on hand" as my decoy pack. I show her that and go "I'm good thanks, got a pack already here." I think I've had the same packet for the last month lol!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    sometimes I wonder if it's a secret/subconscious plot to keep me fat.
    I'd be surprised if it's that. I think it's that they want to eat this stuff but feel they can't so they offer it to other people and somehow other people eating it meets a bit of their own need to eat it. IOW, they are using other people as their eating surrogates.

It's kind of like when a reformed alcoholic pushes other people to drink....
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    My mother is like this. She's always buying junk food. Yesterday she bought a container of mini chocolate cupcakes (I only ate one). It gets annoying, I need to develop a stronger will power.

PS what's a pecan roll?

Picture a tiny cinnamon roll with pecan bits. "Tis delicious evil sticky badness. On the plus side they're usually small, about 100 calories each. :happy:
  • sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I'll admit it-I do this. A LOT. I was brought up with the mentality that I should never ever ever eat in front of a person who didn't have food, and if I had to then I should share and if I didn't, I was an aweful evil person. Probably came out of being low-income in a low-income neighbourhood for most of my life. Sharing really is caring!

It's bugged my friends...way I see it, they're perfectly free to take it home and save it for later. : P And if they really can't stand me doing it then they can tell me and I'll do my best to refrain, but I make no promises.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I just need to vent for a second here. I have a friend at work (skinny, of course) who has seriously horrible eating habits and is one of the most weight-obsessed people I've ever met. I love her but she drives me NUTS with the food pushing! We spent about 15 minutes during lunch talking about food and what I am trying to do to lose weight. An hour later, and she's IM'ing me to see if I want a pecan roll. Seriously?

I and others have given her grief about the food pushing over the years, and she has acknowledged that she does this. Yet it simply will not stop. It is in her nature to be generous and share with her friends, but sometimes I wonder if it's a secret/subconscious plot to keep me fat. Thankfully my willpower has shifted a great deal over the years in terms of not eating junk food, but just dealing with the nuisance of a food pusher is enough to make me want to go down to the vending machine and go apesh*t on a pack of Reese's Cups!!

Anyone else have one of these people in their life? How do you deal with it?
    A pecan roll doesn't make you fat. It's over consumption that does. Lots of people who are "skinny" eat whatever they want in most cases because they have an idea of how to balance their calories.
    Yeah, eating more whole foods and reducing high calorie foods help, but you can get overweight eating whole foods too.
    Easiest way IMO to stop it is, accept, take a bite, spit it out or count it in your daily intake, then let the rest sit out in the open. A person who sees someone "wasting" food eventually stops giving it to them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    SINCE you've already all told her about it, she's just being nasty now or needs a stonger stance. The next time she offers you food, accept it sweetly and while still talking to her...walk over to the trash and toss it in the garbage. She will be pissed and say something and you just repeat whatever it is you told her when you asked her to stop food pushing. She'll be mad for a minute but isn't going to end the friendship over a wasted pecan roll. And hopefully this will make such an impression she will never offer again.

That is seriously rude. lol ... I have never had someone grab my hand and force my fingers around a muffin, donut, or brownie. A simple "No thanks" works great. If they keep on, "COME ON TRY ONE!" I'll still say no thanks or I'll just set it aside and decide if I really want it later. If not, I'll chunk it when they're not looking. I already have my foodstuffs planned for the day, so it's no big deal unless a pastry or sweet will really throw you off that bad, and then it's your issue, not theirs.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    My husband is a food pusher and I'm constantly telling him NO, but it gets exhausting, learn to have some respect for the person trying to lose weight.
    ^^THIS!^^

Gotta stay strong. It is up to you not them.
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It's more like this:

Her: Hey, I have a box of doughnuts over here. Hot 'n' Now light was on!!! You want one?
    Me: No, thanks.

30 minutes later
    Her: OMG these doughnuts are so good! Come get one!
    Me: I just had a yummy bowl of oatmeal and I'm not very hungry. Thanks for offering, though!

30 minutes later
    Her: Only a couple of doughnuts left--better come get one before they're gone! Great with a big glass of chocolate milk!
    Me: Appreciate you thinking of me but I am really not a big doughnut eater.
    You might want to point out how many times she's asked. For example for #3

"I appreciate you thinking of me, but I've already said 'no' twice because I'm trying very hard to avoid that sort of food. Please don't ask me to have a donut again today. Maybe some other time I'll have room for it in my calorie budget, just not today. "
  • Mildern
    Options
    I love it when I'm at the gym and I see a commercial for outback steakhouse or olive garden. Super annoying.
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Say no with what my family calls the "mom glare " the one that means back off or I'll bite you!!!!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    had a girlfriend be like that all the time. she'd said "here have some cake!" and id say "no thank you" and shed say, " oh but it is sooooo good cmon just try it " and again id say "no, thank you" and she shoves a piece in my face and says "come on, one little bite won't hurt! " and i smacked it away and it hit her in the face covering her in icing! hahahaha! she said "WHAT THE H*LL WAS THAT FOR!" ......and i said, "well you didn't understood the first 2 times i said no so i thought i would be a little more clear!" lol i can be a b*tch to those ppl really easy. they don't understand ! once i start eating i cant stop! SO YES ONE LITTLE PIECE DOES HURT! .....im sure there are alot more tactful ways to say no and be clear. but i thought that situation was hilarious. she deserved it i believe for trying to force me to eat cake when i said NO ..

EPIC. :flowerforyou: