Do you measure up?

Options

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I don't cope well with changing work schedules. I like to get up daily at the same time, be expected somewhere at the same time, arrive home at the same time and go to bed at the same time. I prefer to eat on a consistent schedule and to work out consistently. Sometimes I feel people don't understand, but I get depressed with my ever-changing schedule.

Also, I don't do well with noise...especially the repetitive variety (tapping, banging, humming, beeping)...it makes me feel crazy!

I feel so insecure because these things do not seem to bother others, and yet it really throws me off!

Lots of people I know don't deal with changes well. It get worse as we get older too, or at least it has for me. I think a lot just has to do with internal expectations and being able to get out of that and live in the moment. Of course, easier said than done!

And even though I was in a band in my youth, I can't stand loud noises anymore.

Cheers.
  • AmandaLY17
    AmandaLY17 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My horrendous, irrational, gut wrenching, panic inducing fear of heights.... especially when little kids are marching right on past me hyperventilating from the fear lol
  • Timshel_
    Options
    No worries man. The average Willie is around 5. See!

willie-nelson-456-112910.jpg

LOL

This one seriously cracked myself up. I was hoping some one else saw it too. Stupid I know. lol
  • Timshel_
    Options
    My horrendous, irrational, gut wrenching, panic inducing fear of heights.... especially when little kids are marching right on past me hyperventilating from the fear lol

I swear I have totally become more fearful of heights! I have bungie jumped, did sky diving, and used to climb around rafters way above the groud without even thinking. Few tiems in the last couple years I have been close to en edge of heigth and it freaks me out now. WTH is that about? Grrrr...

Well, keep yer feet planted firmly on the ground!
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Inadequacy is a huge issue for people. . . So what is your deficiency and how are you working on it?

Shall I just list my deficiencies in alphabetical order? Exactly how much bandwidth do I have to work with here?

It's true, I have a big list of deficiencies at the moment, starting with my bank account. But maybe my biggest inadequacy is my ability to forgive myself. I tend to be an all or nothing type of person. I jump in with both feet. If I can't do it "right" or "well" or to my satisfaction, I stop doing it.

I am trying very hard to approach this health, diet and fitness thing with a whole different attitude.

Calories: If I go a little over on my calories, I'm not going to beat myself up. I'm going to be aware of what I put in my mouth. I'm going to log it. And I'm going to reap the rewards of weight loss or I'm going to dust myself off and do better the next week.

Food choices: If I crave something, I'm not going to deny myself just because it's not something people typically eat on a diet. If I want ice-cream (tacos, bacon, enchiladas, a burger) I'm going to allow myself an occasional indulgence. Oddly enough, the mental aspect of knowing that it's OK to eat something helps to curb the cravings.

Exercise: My motto for 2013 is: Baby Steps! And that's the attitude I'm taking with exercise--something I've not done in more than two decades. I have a goal and when I hit it consistently, I change that goal so that I can continue to push myself. But I will not set the goal above what I know I'm capable of consistently reaching.

BTW ... I have been loving all the pics of "you" on the boards today. LOL
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Had this discussion with a young lady in one of my dance classes the other night. She came in complaining that she's too short; all her jeans drag on the floor, then she said she was too flat-chested; all her tops are too baggy. My response: "Girl! Adjust your attitude! I never have that problem, bc I am just right--if I find jeans that are too long or ill-fitting tops, they're obviously made incorrectly."

Attitude is everything. Choose to be happy. Choose to be fabulous.

No one can make you feel inferior without your permission.
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    Lack of self-confidence but it's getting better.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    But maybe my biggest inadequacy is my ability to forgive myself. I tend to be an all or nothing type of person. I jump in with both feet. If I can't do it "right" or "well" or to my satisfaction, I stop doing it.

BTW ... I have been loving all the pics of "you" on the boards today. LOL

That is TOUGH to concur - both forgiving yourself and having and all or nothing attitude. I've been there myself.

What helped me in the last year has been really paying attention to my own self-defeating talk in my head. I am a perfectionist who realizes there is no perfection to be attained, but that doesn't make accepting it any easier. So it comes down to expectations and setting realistic goals for myself anymore.

Like weight - I know I want to be around 180 pounds, but sitting at 210 it's tough to see that finish line. I can diet and exercise for a week and if I don't see decent results I can get discourage and just feel like " F it!". Don't know if that is the same with you. However, if I set smaller goals along the way and just keep that 180 in the back of my mind instead of putting the pressure of that expectation on myself, I seem to do better. And then, when I don't progress in ways that I hope, I also give myself some slack. The balance is making sure you are hard enough on yourself to move forward but not overly critical about it to feel like a complete failure. I hope you can find your balance point!

And thank you so much for the comment on the pictures. I tend to do things like that to blow of steam so you'll see more. They help me laugh and not take myself too serious.

Cheers!
  • Timshel_
    Options
    No one can make you feel inferior without your permission.

Amen! I have a tattoo that I got when I was younger and it simply says "ATTITUDE" I have always believed your attitude is what makes things good or bad. YOU are responsible for your happiness, success, etc. There are factors that might go against you, but how you react - your attitude about them - is what ultimately makes the difference.

And hell, there isn't much anyone can do about certain physical traits.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    Lack of self-confidence but it's getting better.

That is a bi one for lots of folks. I have it for certain things and it is difficult to overcome sometimes. Just keep working at it will always get better. Cheers
  • stormtruck2
    stormtruck2 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    1) OCD
    2) ADD
    3) Expect perfection of myself
    4) Expect nothing from anyone other than me
    5) Extremely quick to anger, hold it all in, rarely i let it show
    6) Everything is my fault i think
    7) Net freak
    7) Sloppy
    8) Very optimistic
    9) Very pessimistic
    10)Ride too fast on my motorcycles. 150 -160 mph on my road bikes is not uncommon, even at night.
    11) i hate people
    12) i love people
    13) After my military years, i hate crowds, i get very twitchy and nervous in them. If i can't see an exit, i erpostion until i can.

My father was a + and my mother a -, and they did attract each other. Rather than I being born a neutral, i vassilate between + and - very quickly. Some times several times an hour. As my sons say, if i were rich i would be eccentric, since i'm poor i'm just a nut.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Sticking with things. I'm a bouncer; I bounce from one thing to the next, often without finishing the first thing. College, craft projects, weight loss...I'm really working on getting better at the follow through :)
  • DaraEden
    DaraEden Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Well honestly, wanting to be really thin, just so I can be the thinnest in the room. I just equate being thin with being successful
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I put the 'pro' in procrastinator and I am unable to overcome the rare form of depression I have.

Well this is not fun....
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
    I don't do well with public speaking and in social situations. I am a talker to when i am comfortable; but get me in a group and I turn all quiet. It's really strange because I have been described as a very outgoing person who doesn't know a stranger.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    I put the 'pro' in procrastinator and I am unable to overcome the rare form of depression I have.

Well this is not fun....

You're supposed to be positive about yourself! I know you have some positives.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options

Well this is not fun....

You're supposed to be positive about yourself! I know you have some positives.

I did that earlier...

I got confused - why is everyone saying what they need to work on now? :)
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    "Social situations can send me into a tailspin panic.

I can't approach strangers, I dislike crowds, I don't like new places."

Very similar with me. New situations and people always give me anxiety, and I avoid crowds and large groups of people usually.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    1) OCD
    2) ADD
    3) Expect perfection of myself
    4) Expect nothing from anyone other than me
    5) Extremely quick to anger, hold it all in, rarely i let it show
    6) Everything is my fault i think
    7) Net freak
    7) Sloppy
    8) Very optimistic
    9) Very pessimistic
    10)Ride too fast on my motorcycles. 150 -160 mph on my road bikes is not uncommon, even at night.
    11) i hate people
    12) i love people
    13) After my military years, i hate crowds, i get very twitchy and nervous in them. If i can't see an exit, i erpostion until i can.

My father was a + and my mother a -, and they did attract each other. Rather than I being born a neutral, i vassilate between + and - very quickly. Some times several times an hour. As my sons say, if i were rich i would be eccentric, since i'm poor i'm just a nut.

I think we all go through that black and white fluctuation at times.
  • Timshel_
    Options
    Sticking with things. I'm a bouncer; I bounce from one thing to the next, often without finishing the first thing. College, craft projects, weight loss...I'm really working on getting better at the follow through :)

It is hard for some people to complete things. At work we call them idea generators. Not a bad thing if you realize you need to push yourself on the follow-through. Good luck!