Negative comments about me lifting weights

Options

Replies

• Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be surprised by the response. Remember, half of the people you ever meet are below average. At least when you talk about lifting weights (or in my case about owning snakes) they're good at identifying themselves for you.

"they're good at identifying themselves for you."

That's good:happy:
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    Yes, it is good.
  • mommy7
    mommy7 Posts: 153
    Options
    People have no idea! I've heard the comments and now just roll my eyes or point out how small I am from lifting. If we are suppose to get big and bulky, I'm doing something wrong, lol.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    This is why I keep all my weight lifting conversations limited to MFP.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Unless its someone very supportive and close to me I just don't talk about myself because people will always pick you apart. I used to over share thinking those who asked where really interested. They're not. No one gives a *kitten* about my medical issues, my bad day or what I'm doing at the gym. Time to pull out the short answer that satisfies and move the convo along I say!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Just let it slide off your back. No matter what you do or what you look like, someone's going to have an "issue" with it, and sometimes that someone has a big mouth and no filter between the brain and vocal cords.

You do what YOU want and work for the body YOU want, and let the rest of the world just deal with it.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Forget about them, they obviously have no idea. You are going to look fabulous AND burn more fat then them :P
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    I've learned my lesson. Not worth it, i'm sticking to you all!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Here's what I say:

"Good thing I'm not trying to look attractive for YOU, then. My body, my problem"
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    My (firefighter) husband off-handedly jokes that he doesn't want me to have bigger shoulders than him.

No worries I tell him. I can't lift more than 10# for overhead press reps if my life depended on it.

Besides, he's 6'5" and benches some obscene amount.

I'm a 5'8" wimp ... :tongue:
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Who told you that? People with no muscle definition?
    My boyfriend likes my muscles. (And yes, he is still a hell of a lot stronger than me)
  • Trechechus
    Options
    Here's what I say:

"Good thing I'm not trying to look attractive for YOU, then. My body, my problem"

Also, I like this.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Today I talked about starting to weight lift and this is what I got:

'Women who have muscles have ugly bodies, only tone what you have. You don't want to look ugly.'

'You shouldn't look stronger then your husband, you need to look like you compliment him.'

'Make sure you get help, you don't want to make your body horrendous looking. '

Well, you know what? I think a muscular woman is beautiful and I am going to make me the most beautiful me I can. And you want to know what? Since I have started this journey, I now am able to open a jar by myself. I was never able to before hand. Being strong is beautiful. I want to say, all you women with muscles you are beautiful no matter how big or small they are. You are strong and I can't wait to be strong too.
    The first response is just a matter of opinion which you don't happen to share.
    The second response is some sort of "women need to be subservient" crap.
    And the third response is an old outdated idea that has been dis-proven time and time again.

I'm glad you are now able to open jars by yourself. Now go open a jar of "whoop-*kitten*" on all the people who are trying to crap on your dreams.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options

Yes, that is the truth!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Here's what I say:

Also, I like this.

:laugh:
  • Trechechus
    Options

Yes, that is the truth!

I had a very unfit friend tell me that women with muscles were gross (she knew I lifted when she said this.) I was pissed, but I enjoy my muscles more than she enjoys her lack of them.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Just don't talk to people about what you are doing, this goes for nutrition as well. Everyone's an 'expert' and you can almost guarantee that according to them you're doing it wrong...
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options

Yes, that is the truth!

I had a very unfit friend tell me that women with muscles were gross (she knew I lifted when she said this.) I was pissed, but I enjoy my muscles more than she enjoys her lack of them.

I would too. Muscles are great. (and you do have some good ones!) That is why I am going to move on from this. I'm going to just do what I do and when they see me next and rave about how good I look, i'm just going to say thanks!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    If you really want to get them back...have patience. Wait until you see them struggling with something relatively heavy one day, offer help, pick it up with ease, walk a few steps, sit it back down, and say "nevermind...it looks like you can really use the exercise, because this is incredibly light".
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Christmas2009020.jpg

Like taking Candy From a Baby- Start them out young.