Waitress fired for posting this online

Options

Replies

• Scoopers804
    Options
    As I see it, the tip is a mandatory thing Applebees themselves applies to any bill for a group larger than 6-8, and this Pastor's group was more than 8. If the Pastor had an issue with their rules, she shouldn't have gone to Applebees. It isn't a hidden rule. It's posted quite plainly, so in my opinion, not paying it is rather akin to stealing. 2nd; Tons of people give 10% to their church, and still don't stiff a waitress or establishment. Using God as an excuse not to pay a bill for services rendered, is really low. 3rd: Part of that 10% the Pastor gives, comes right back to the Pastor. Tithes are where their income comes from, so in a sense, she doesn't really even give all 10%, because she gets some back in her pay. Also, 10% is the minimum tithe one is supposed to give. Not the maximum. One can give as much as they wish. 4th: 18% for more than 8 people, isn't even 3% each, so if the Pastor wanted to skip out on tipping, she should have only skipped out on 3% and left the other people in her group decide for themselves if they wanted to tip. and last? I wonder if the others in the group even know anything about what the Pastor wrote and I wonder how they feel about their Pastor now? I'd love to see that interview! As for Applebees? They have no more right to fire that woman for posting it online, as many restaurants take customer photos all the time and post it to their facebook pages, comment about their customers on twitter, etc. All without the customers approval and usually without their knowledge. Oh.. and the woman who posted it and got fired? Wasn't the waitress who served the Pastor's group. It was another waitress that worked there, who just popped it online thinking others would find it rude, but funny. I have a feeling the Pastor was only upset, because she got caught being a cheapskate in public. If I was one of those guests at her table that night? I'd be hanging my head in shame. Perhaps her congregation should all chip in and only tithe 10% of what it costs to run a service on Sunday, instead of 10% each as most usually do? Maybe then this Pastor would understand the depth of the message she just sent to the waitress. Ok.. that's my take on it. =)
  • jsenecal12
    Options
    i wish there was a website

that customer service employees could upload pictures like this, snapshots of faces, descriptions of horrible customers

all kinds of privacy infringement, i know, but publicly abusing service professionals is much too popular of a pasttime

so public shaming should be happening in turn
    as for getting fired,
    yeah, it sucks but
    less-than-minimum wage and minimum wage jobs are a dime a dozen
    since it takes having 2 or 3 of those suckers crammed into a person's schedule
    just to survive

notalwaysright.com is a great site people use to vent about customer situations they encounter in their jobs. It's actually pretty funny... but also kind of upsetting to read what people can be like.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Like I said, i usually tip 20-25%. Sometimes more. Almost never less. BUT, I do that of my own free will. If I was directed that I MUST, just because I have a larger party, I'd probably bite back, too!

Do you not realize that a large party can take up a server's entire evening, depriving them of other customers and therefore tips they might have earned? Many restaurants will tell a party that if they reserve a table a tip will be automatically added to the bill. They don't like it, let them dine in their homes or do carryout.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Christians are cheap when it comes to tipping and anything else they don't think they should have to pay for. I am NOT SAYING ALL CHRISTIANS are cheap, but a majority of them are.
    Stereotyping. She is also African-American. Are you going to blame African-Americans?
  • shade0343
    shade0343 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Ummm, not impressed with the passive aggressive whining the pastor engaged in. The pastor plainly lacked the courage to complain face to face. Almost as disappointed in the employee's behavior. I will say that some form of complaint is understandable. Equally disappointed in Applebee's for firing her after the less than brave pastor was moved to complain. I do take note that the pastor only got on the phone once she was embarrassed because their bad behavior was outed on the internet.

I seem to remember something about Christ teaching humility and to turn the other cheek. I think the pastor needs to seriously consider asking 'What would Jesus do?'.

I think Applebee's went overboard. Firing wait staff over this will only embitter the remaining wait staff, not encourage better behavior.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    A receipt is not considered a public document so the privacy laws are applicable. I wish she had blacked out the last name and left the Pastor part then she would have probably not been fired.

The "pastor" is obviously an unhappy person who finds no joy in life and has little love or kindness for others.

I nearly always tip 20% especially if my water glass is kept full. I left a tiny tip once cause the service was so bad. The guy spent all his time visiting with a table of "friends" and did not attend to my table at all, and it was not busy.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I think it should be mandatory that everyone be a waiter/waitress once in their life. No one would be torn on this issue.

I've said this multiple times! Being a waitress before and someone who has worked in retail you really see all sides of people and many are horrible.

I do agree with this as well. Try being a nurse in a psych hospital, lots of abuse there as well.
  • cheryljanine
    cheryljanine Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The rest of the story is that the pastor (who is a woman) left a $6 cash tip on the table. She was being flip in her comment and from what else I read the person who posted it thought it was funny, but readers didnot take it that way. If they would have blanked
    out the name it would have probably been fine. Dumb mistake. Lesson learned. It did seem like a tiny amount for a large party though didn't it?:smile:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I think it should be mandatory that everyone be a waiter/waitress once in their life. No one would be torn on this issue.

I've said this multiple times! Being a waitress before and someone who has worked in retail you really see all sides of people and many are horrible.

I do agree with this as well. Try being a nurse in a psych hospital, lots of abuse there as well.

At least they have the excuse of being crazy. Customers are often just bullies taking out their issues on those powerless to defend themselves.
  • Deipneus
    Options
    The rest of the story is that the pastor (who is a woman) left a $6 cash tip on the table.
    That's what she told TSG when they called her up. Not verified by anyone else.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/tipping-pastor-apologizes-687234
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Why exactly does the pastor deserve to maintain privacy? Its a private establishment, not the US government. If you're an idiot, let's trumpet that to the world. Maybe a bit of ridicule will make people think twice about being a moron.

There are privacy laws governing the use of non-public personal information by entities that collect such information, including establishments like this restaurant. Granted, no NPPI was shared publicly in this situation, but publishing the the receipt on an online platform could expose the restaurant to allegations that they are breaching consumers' right to privacy. I would have fired her too, for liability reasons.

As a former waitress, sadly, the pastor's lack of decency doesn't surprise me. The waitress should have known better, however.
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Bump--I want to show this to my daughter and her SO. She was a waitress for a while and was thrilled when she got a desk job. Said being a waitress was one of the hardest things she ever did. The restaurant paid her $/hr. Was expected to make her salary in tips. Sometimes she did well but there were many days she made very little--and not always due to a lack of customers but because of a lack of tippers. Her SO is a waiter, and a very good one, and the same goes for him. The restaurant automatically applies a gratuity for large parties (8 or more) of 18%. I think the employer should either pay the server a realistic wage abd add the cost to the food or apply automatic gratuities. I would prefer the first option and abolish tipping. And, in answer to the question, I do not think the server should have been fired. I think the diner should be ashamed of himself. My husband and I routinely tip 15% on the total check (drinks and tax, too--I know some people don't) and 20% if service was above and beyond normally expected.
  • Scoopers804
    Options
    Why exactly does the pastor deserve to maintain privacy? Its a private establishment, not the US government. If you're an idiot, let's trumpet that to the world. Maybe a bit of ridicule will make people think twice about being a moron.

^

My thoughts exactly! lol.
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Like I said, i usually tip 20-25%. Sometimes more. Almost never less. BUT, I do that of my own free will. If I was directed that I MUST, just because I have a larger party, I'd probably bite back, too!

Do you not realize that a large party can take up a server's entire evening, depriving them of other customers and therefore tips they might have earned? Many restaurants will tell a party that if they reserve a table a tip will be automatically added to the bill. They don't like it, let them dine in their homes or do carryout.

The SIZE of the PARTY was not my central issue. I just said that because the only add on mandatory tops for large parties, generally. My central issue is that, if I am allowed to decide tip of my own free will, I will, and I will tip generously. If it is MANDATED, I may protest. Not to the point this Pastor did, but, words may be said!
  • kansasbelle
    kansasbelle Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    OH I forgot I really must being going to burn in hell because every time I waited on Jimmy Swaggert who dispises Catholics and that we're all going to hell. I would offer him Alcohol...I did out of spite I know but it made dealing with him and his hatred easier. He just made me so mad being judgmental ...I've never judged other people faiths or said they were going to hell. Plus everyone would crack hooker jokes in the kitchen..
  • AJL_Daddy
    Options
    The rest of the story is that the pastor (who is a woman) left a $6 cash tip on the table.

Seems a lot of people on both sides are making unverified allegations!
  • megan1869
    megan1869 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs to go watch the movie Waiting..... just a friendly reminder there are far worse things the server could have done...
  • Deipneus
    Options

Seems a lot of people on both sides are making unverified allegations!
    What unverified allegation has my side made?
  • AJL_Daddy
    Options
    Everyone needs to go watch the movie Waiting..... just a friendly reminder there are far worse things the server could have done...

I'm sorry. but WAITING might be the worst movie ever! I take that back, STILL WAITING is worse.

I realize my movie taste has nothing to do with this. So, go back to your arguing.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Already posted twice, but I forgot to add that I think it's bullsh*t the waitress got fired. Maybe reprimanded or suspended for not blocking out the name, but definitley not fired.