Obsessed with low fat cottage cheese

Options
13»

Replies

• kazmurphblin
    kazmurphblin Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    with pineapple! yum yum I have it almost everyday!
  • EinTX
    EinTX Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I like to add some green onion and bell pepper let it refrigerate for a few hours then enjoy. Mmmm. It works well to pack it for lunch before work then the flavors have time to blend by lunch time.
  • Anycleavers
    Anycleavers Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Try it with some diced avocado, a squeeze of fresh lime juice and a little bit of hot sauce. Awesome!
  • bluemoon551
    bluemoon551 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Read in a recent copy of Oxygen Magazine that no fat cottage cheese is not so good, but the low fat is a good choice. Can't remember if it was added sodium or what.
    It's the same with fat free/low fat sour cream. The low fat version is made with milk and cream, but the fat free is made with skim milk and thickened with corn starch.

Low fat is just as bad as fat free. To make up for the lack of taste in both versions they add more crap to it. I've never understood why people are afraid of healthy fats. Its a marketing scam and a good one at that. I could put two pies next to each other, slap a low fat sticker on one of them and people would buy the low fat version without actually comparing the nutritional information.
    I don't limit my saturated fats, but some low fat things taste exactly the same to me and are worth the fewer calories.
  • RockKelly
    RockKelly Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Diced avacado
  • RSD73
    RSD73 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My kids just love cottage cheese on their pancakes!
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Read in a recent copy of Oxygen Magazine that no fat cottage cheese is not so good, but the low fat is a good choice. Can't remember if it was added sodium or what.
    It's the same with fat free/low fat sour cream. The low fat version is made with milk and cream, but the fat free is made with skim milk and thickened with corn starch.

Low fat is just as bad as fat free. To make up for the lack of taste in both versions they add more crap to it. I've never understood why people are afraid of healthy fats. Its a marketing scam and a good one at that. I could put two pies next to each other, slap a low fat sticker on one of them and people would buy the low fat version without actually comparing the nutritional information.
    I don't limit my saturated fats, but some low fat things taste exactly the same to me and are worth the fewer calories.

Found the info:
    April 2012 OXYGEN magazine:

PICK IT: Low Fat Cottage Cheese: has 100 calories per 1/2 cup, plus 12 g of protein, mostly casein, which provides the body with a steady supply of amino acids to prevent muscle breakdown.

KICK IT: Fat Free Cottage Cheese: has more added sugar and sodium to enhance its flavor. And the fruit on the bottom varieties can pack over 14 g of sugar per serving.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    The stuff makes an amazing "ice cream".

Just toss the whole carton in a blender, followed by ice cubes and bits of whatever flavour you want the ice cream to be - fresh fruit, chocolate, protein nuts, etc - then just blend it all up with about a tablespoon of added water. Leave it in the freezer to chill for a few hours and stir every half hour and - bam - a MASSIVE bowl of ice cream, depending on the ingredients.
    Good if you're a volume eater ("pig") like me. ^_^

That sounds yummy!!! Thanks for sharing!!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Be careful with the no-fat or even low fat cottage cheeses. Read the labels! I found that there are a lot of brands that add other "stuff" to it that really isn't necessary. The brand that I get and like is Daisy 2% cottage cheese. Ingredients are basically what they should be: low fat milk, cream, salt, vitamin A.
  • szarlotka717
    szarlotka717 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I usually get Straus low fat cottage cheese. On a day when I really needed more protein, I made myself a sandwich with TJ's California Style Complete Protein bread, cottage cheese, and sunflower butter (tastes like peanut butter, but is nut-free since I'm allergic). Otherwise, my go-to's are fruit (for a sweet version) or radishes and green onion.