This may be a load of rubbish but worth posting

Options

Replies

• professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    professorRAT aren't you just the special snowflake. Since this poison does not affect you, it should not be posted? What if someone reads this post and realizes they are one of the 'non-special snowflakes' that this poison does affect?

This makes no sense at all. You clearly have a problem understanding scientific evidence.

Also, I never said it didn't affect me. I have never consumed anything with aspartame in it. If you read my posts you would have known that. The post implies removing this from your diet will cure you if you have an autoimmune disease. That is completely unfounded and irresponsible (not to mention lazy not to do a 5 second google search on the post) to make this claim. So, yes, if a claim suggesting a cure for a serious disease is unjustified via scientific evidence it should not be posted. Did you even read this thread at all?
  • happystars13
    Options
    Well that's taught me a lesson, story if I have caused offence it was not intentional and I don't think I will be raising a new topic anytime soon.....
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    To be slightly less mean (but only slightly), aspartame has been proven safe for use (except by phenylketuronic-sensitive folks) in over 90 countries, it has been proven safe in innumerable studies over many decades, and the only time its safety was every called into question was not because of negative reactions, but because of a formality (the FDA wasn't satisfied with the methodology of the original safety studies).

Yeah Aspartame has been proven safe by the very people who are MAKING MONEY FROM IT. The Soda companies do studies that have proven sodas don't cause obesity, same with the corn industry, and the sugar industry.
    Independent studies tend to be a little different. Personally, I developed bad reactions to the stuff over time.

Not that I'm looking to provide a bunch of sources as to why people are right or wrong.. as it's been pointed out, this is the argument that won't die, and there is plenty of written material providing support for either side, but there are things on the market now that are killing people and big companies don't really care. If you sue them for a wrongful death, it's a drop in the bucket compared to the total amount of money they're making, and that's the bottom line.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I haven't bothered to read all the post from people who refuse to accept that diet does impact our health, that auto immune disease can be cause by leaky gut and quite frankly any of you who are sick (yes me included) should be doing everything you can to recover! Did you know that they have research that proves you can starve cancer with a ketogenic diet, that you can stop epileptic fits with keto diet..... You can continue living your lives blindly ignoring that the food you eat does affect how your body works, go ahead but i want to live my life. No food, no artificial sweetener or genetically modified food etc is worth being that sick for!
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options
    For those of you who think your government knows best: www.foodpolitics.com. Get educated!
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options
    Your slating this women for advising you not to consume artificial sweeteners that have been proven to destroy brain cells in unborn children? That triggers many auto immune disease flare ups? Shame on you. For somebody that claims to live by science based research .... Your not very educated in the matter!
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
  • professorRAT
    Options
    Your slating this women for advising you not to consume artificial sweeteners that have been proven to destroy brain cells in unborn children? That triggers many auto immune disease flare ups? Shame on you. For somebody that claims to live by science based research .... Your not very educated in the matter!

No. You are incorrect. This is a well studied issue and the scientific community has arrived at a consensus.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/aspartame-truth-vs-fiction/
    http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/faqs/faqaspartame.htm#3
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/artificial-sweeteners/MY00073

Also, concluding that something that may be bad for unborn children is bad for adults to consume suggests quite strongly that you do not understand how to correctly examine scientific evidence and draw conclusions from it. Sorry, but i am educated in that matter.
  • soniadavisbey
    soniadavisbey Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I DON'T AGREE...MY GRANDMA WAS DIAGNOSED WITH MS AT 64 AND SHE WASN'T A DIET SODA DRINKER...
  • reddcat
    reddcat Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options
    In the 1950s, ads in peer-reviewed journal, JAMA proudly proclaimed: ‘More Doctors Smoke Camels Than Any Other Brand.’ At one time, the now-debunked theory (espoused by many supposedly-intelligent-at-the-time-humans), that the planet earth was flat, was an undisputed fact. Just because we think we are so superior and highly-evolved with our science at this time does not mean we are unequivocally correct. Add billions of dollars at stake for the gigantic sweetener industry, and you may begin to have a tiny glimmer of understanding about the futility of asking any governmental agency anywhere in the world to go against the USFDA in asking for a recall and retesting of Aspartame as a drug, as our Aspartame Consumer Safety Network and Pilot Hotline all-volunteer organization has consistently done since 1987. This is a campaign that will be won or lost at the checkout stand. If consumers cease to use a product, whether for safety or lack of effectiveness, it will be history. It took decades for smoking to be declared an issue of gravest importance. Aspartame was approved in 1981. Do the math.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options
    Would you like to post any links to actual research papers that weren't influenced by the government or the companies that produce artificial sweeteners, both of which have a huge amount to lose if they tell you the truth!
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options

No. You are incorrect. This is a well studied issue and the scientific community has arrived at a consensus.

Also, concluding that something that may be bad for unborn children is bad for adults to consume suggests quite strongly that you do not understand how to correctly examine scientific evidence and draw conclusions from it. Sorry, but i am educated in that matter.

You state that I don't understand how to analysise a study and yet you supplied links that weren't even research papers. Try again!
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Huh, K. :huh:

*sips Pepsi Max* :drinker:
  • professorRAT
    Options

You state that I don't understand how to analysise a study and yet you supplied links that weren't even research papers. Try again!

LOL. You have just proven my point. Cherry picking research papers is NOT how to properly analyze scientific evidence. Experts in scientific areas conduct meta-analysis. This means they look at MANY studies on the topic, discuss them, examine the quality of the studies and panels of experts arrive at a consensus. In some cases, the evidence is in-conclusive, and they state this. In other cases, this meta-analysis points fairly strongly in one direction or another. Then , they will state their consensus view on the topic. That is what I provided in the links, which IS the proper way to analyze scientific evidence. They discuss the research in the meta-analysis and these are sites that represent panels of experts. The first link is a scientist who generally does a good job at providing this type of information on various topics. I sure wish they would teach scientific method and the proper way to examine evidence in schools these days. But, alas.

I really wonder why none of my many doctors (some are experts in autoimmune liver diseases) have never recommended that I avoid aspartame or any other artificial sweetener. I mean, if there was a scientific consensus that it could flare up autoimmune disease, and they know a flare up could kill me outright, you would think they might have mentioned it.
  • professorRAT
    Options
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the taste of the stuff, don't use it.
    If the stuff makes you feel bad, don't use it.
    If you believe the bad stuff you read about it, don't use it.

If you like it, don't believe the bad stuff, have at.
  • JKing727
    Options
    I believe it! The government puts so much crap in our food and our water it is crazy! People need to open their eyes!
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    This started happening to me in my late 30's, stomach pains, couldn't figure it out. I was lucky early on because a gal-friend of mine, who experienced the same, awful stomach pains, asked me if I was eating anything diet or sugar-free and I said no. Then at work the next day I realized what I was putting in my coffee, it was Sweet and Low, those little pink packets (with sacharin). That was my "culprit" and glad I discovered it early on. Anyone that poopoo's this topic hasn't experienced being ill and not knowing it was actually something poisoning them.

Denise
    PS different substances/chemicals, effect people differently. One person it doesn't hurt at all, but it can kill another.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Lollercoaster