Gym Etiquette - what bugs you?

Options
I'm sorry to sound high maintenance, but I don't understand when I see people at the gym that:

1) Sweat all over the cardio machines (dripping sweat) and don't wipe them down
2) Talk REALLY loud on their cell phone. Loud enough to hear their whole conversation
3) Come in with extremely bad body odor.

Do you all feel the same way? What else bothers you?

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Cell phones, period.
    Standing in groups talking and blocking machines and stations.
    Jumping in front of someone on a circuit and moving slower.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    One day I was on a stationary bike when a woman came in and got on the bike next to mine. She was wearing street clothes, not exercise gear, and pedaled verrrry slowly, just barely moving the pedals around.

What was she doing? Watching the soap opera that was on the TV above us. Since it was the middle of the day, I suppose she wasn't keeping anyone else off the equipment, but I did think it was funny--and iffy gym etiquette. All I could figure was that she was on her lunch hour from her job, and was popping into the gym to catch her soap.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    not re-racking weights. there were at one point signs in our weight room that said that those who failed to re-rack would have their membership revoked. it's seriously like another workout for me just to re-rack the huge weights that some of these guys just leave on the bars when they're done. not all of us can squat 315.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Not so much an etiquette issue - but something that drives me batsh!t crazy are people who wear flip flops on the treadmill or fur lined crocs on the ellipticals or jeans in general at the gym. WHY?!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    People who worry about what other people are doing rather than just focusing on their own workouts.

Well, that and people who keep talking to me when I'm trying to work out.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    When I used to go this is what bothered me
    1. People who sit on a machine and talk on their cell phone or text.
    2. People who don't wipe their machine down.
    3. WOMEN who don't wipe the machine down, where they were sitting and then leave behind that diamond shaped crotch stank on the seat. >_<
    4. People who try to chit chat with you even if you have ear phones in.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Guys who wear beanies (and other head gear that isn't a sweat band) to the gym.

Also, a while back, I was on the elliptical, and there were these teen boys just sitting on the weight machines behind me, not actually using them and when I came off, they were still there and just stared at me. I was thinking "Yeah, you're actually meant to USE the equipment in the gym."
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    People that come on the internet and whine about other people at the gym.
    :tongue:
  • stresco
    stresco Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    You know what has been bugging me? Although I do laugh when I see them and it reminds me of my days competing... Those Planet Fatness Commercials bug me. They are manipulative, and discriminatory. If any other company had add campaigns pointing out the bad habits of overweight people and labeling them FUNKS, or LAZIES, or whatever, there would be a massive class action lawsuit.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to sound high maintenance, but I don't understand when I see people at the gym that:

1) Sweat all over the cardio machines (dripping sweat) and don't wipe them down
    2) Talk REALLY loud on their cell phone. Loud enough to hear their whole conversation
    3) Come in with extremely bad body odor.

Do you all feel the same way? What else bothers you?
    In response,

1) Sweat is proof that I was there. I need justification for this triple cheesburger that I'm about to eat, even if it means leaving behind my sweat for you to see/smell
    2) I have to talk loud because of all those huge muscly men grunting and dropping weights!
    3) Somebody has to balance out all the perfume-ridden cardio bunnies
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    1. CELL PHONES
    2. Busybodies who give unsolicited advice
    3. People who don't wash their gym clothes
    4. DUDES WHO BICEP CURL IN THE SQUAT RACK
    5. People who don't carry a towel and/or don't wipe benches/handles after use
    6. People who want to talk and talk when I'm clearly busy
    7. People who come in reeking of alcohol, garlic, unbrushed teeth, etc.

I can deal with/ignore the rest.
  • MinisterTom
    MinisterTom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    People using the racks for squats. I gotta do my curls somewhere.
  • Flossie1981
    Flossie1981 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    People who feel the need to comment on my workout regieme.... I'm doing my stuff so you do yours!!
  • KelBelz22
    KelBelz22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I only have two things that really bug me.

1. When people don't wipe down machines. Especially in the winter with th Flu going around. When I'm sick I skip the gym and workout at home so everyone else doesn't get sick. Some people don't care.

2. Boys that are like 10-12 years old running around the gym using all the equipment. Maybe it's just me but why would a young kid with tons of energy need to go to a gym to workout? You're with all your friends, go run around outside and play a game. My nephew is 11 and he doesn't go to a gym to work out. It really bothers me when I'm on a roll and I'm ready to move from a machine to something else and I can't get on a specific machine because a 10 year old thinks he needs to work out on an elliptical.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Not wiping equipment down.
    Spitting.
    People who are there just to pose not to work out.
    Dismantling the weight machines- the lat pull down has been left in pieces like three days in a row now o-o
    About it now :3
  • smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    When I used to go this is what bothered me
    1. People who sit on a machine and talk on their cell phone or text.
    2. People who don't wipe their machine down.
    3. WOMEN who don't wipe the machine down, where they were sitting and then leave behind that diamond shaped crotch stank on the seat. >_<
    4. People who try to chit chat with you even if you have ear phones in.

#3 - LOL (especially on the abductor/adductor machines) ;)
  • cole_ashleyy
    cole_ashleyy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    People who stand or sit on the cardio equipment but aren't actually using it -_-
    Especially in small places were equipment is limited... people just take up the space
  • dillydally123
    dillydally123 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    there's just one super obnoxious dude who goes to my gym. he commits every gym crime known to humanity. Safe to say every one of those listed above (apart from the triangle of crotch sweat) . The two that really rankle me are 1. talks constantly in a really loud voice to his buddy about women, only he always refers to them as "*****es", nice. 2. He throws his dumbbells on the ground when he's done with them without looking to see who/what is around him, then he leaves them there.

right, I'm off to hunt him down.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    cell phones and the staff of new york sports club generally scream at you when the gym is closed and flicker the lights. thinking of quitting that gym and joining a gym.
  • smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    1. The girl I see in the spin class who only half-*kitten* participates because she's too busy playing on her smartphone. The entire time. I can see through the window of the spin room while I'm in yoga and it drove me so crazy that I had to move to another spot. I'm just like 'WTH do you even go into that class?'

2. Creepy staring people.

3. People who walk the wrong way around the track, especially when it's crowded.

4. People who come in 5+ minutes late to yoga class, wearing perfume, and being generally loud.

5. I don't know what the general etiquette for this is, but the dropping/slamming sound of the free weights and weight machines drives me nuts and makes my heart jump out of my chest.

6. I really just don't understand why talking on the phone at the gym has become OK. I know I'm weird but that is the last thing I want to do when I'm working out, and I know my friends don't want to hear me huffing and puffing while trying to carry on a conversation. My mom used to call me when she was out walking and it drove me batty.

These 2 are my husband's:
    1. People who walk abreast on the track and you almost have to blow a whistle to get them to move when you're passing.
    2. People who walk around the locker room naked, holding their towel instead of wrapping it around their body.

Yes, we are easily annoyed.