How to Drink Alcohol...

Options

Replies

• Kerri214
    Kerri214 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My go to is Diet Coke and a flavored Vodka. Great idea on the Crystal Light packets. I'll have to try that!
  • weloveourboys
    weloveourboys Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My questions is why can't you go out and enjoy yourself without alcohol? Maybe that's your problem!

I agree with this opinion. I haven't had a drop of alcohol in years, and I can very well enjoy life that way. sometimes I don't understand why people can't have fun without alcohol.
    Plus, alcoholic drinks have lots of calories.

Yay you. Want a medal? Sometimes I don't understand why people feel they have a right to judge others. Perhaps you can explain.

So if I voice my personal opinion I am judging?
    We have a lot of rude people on this board.
    As a member: If someone asks a question I have the right to respond in any way I want as long as I follow the rules of theboard moderator.

You're a quick study, aren't you. Yes you are judging.

Funny you should mention that we have a lot of rude people on this board. Do you want to be the kettle or the pot?
  • GBOGH_5
    GBOGH_5 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm a Crown and Water kinda girl...

however if you really want to party without consuming calories, i've heard the alcohol enema is negative calories! Butt-chuggers stay skinny! :laugh:
  • woodsy0912
    Options
    Bumping this one, I love finding out new tasty low cal drink ideas.

I usually stick to drinking a bottle of red wine 1 night a week but those times do pop up then you need some nice mixed drinks! (Girls night!)

I do vodka/ sprite zero and rum and diets with lime.

I want to try the crystal light vodka as well!

If you are lucky enough to own a margarita machine, you can make any of your favorite drinks into a slushie! It's not just for margaritas! I have been having way too much fun lately doing this. :laugh:
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    lm2EF.jpg
  • UsaJewels05
    UsaJewels05 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My go to is Vodka Cranberry!
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I actually love ordering a hard liquor (vodka, gin, tequilla) with club soda and then I pull out my secret stash; I keep a few individual packets of Crystal Light or Bob's drink mix powder in my purse and mix one in with my order.

I usually keep a variety on hand; lemondade, margarita mix, mango margarita mix, mojito, pomegranite, etc.

That's a good idea.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I actually love ordering a hard liquor (vodka, gin, tequilla) with club soda and then I pull out my secret stash; I keep a few individual packets of Crystal Light or Bob's drink mix powder in my purse and mix one in with my order.

I usually keep a variety on hand; lemondade, margarita mix, mango margarita mix, mojito, pomegranite, etc.

I like this idea.. I usually go wtih vodka cranberry.. but the juice is just too sweet after two and I end up with beer. Not a fan of club soda or ginger ale..

I might steal this idea.. LOL
  • rachiech13
    rachiech13 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I totally agree. I don't think there's any need for judgement.

I also understand what its' like when you're out dating and socializing, there's a stigma attached when you have to enter into a big, long schpeel about why you aren't having a drink.

Personally, I can't stand vodka but a vodka water with lime is really low cal drink.
    Gin and tonic, is good too.
    Goodluck!
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I just drink shots now. 3 or 4 and I have a buzz for under 300 calories. Beer, before was more like 800 calories to feel it.
  • rachiech13
    rachiech13 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    hahahah tell me you're kidding
  • AshS1050
    AshS1050 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    bump. i want to try some of these low cal options!
  • jgollnick
    jgollnick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    An average mixed drink is going to contain an 1 1/2 oz. of liquor which carries 90 to 100 calories. Thats our first problem. If you go to a bar thats not a night club and your a regular chances are the bartender will double that amount in your drink so your looking at about 200 calories just from liquor. Best mixers for a diet will be seltzer or diet soda. Diet soda you really shouldn't have too much of either. It delays the fat burning process. Now, you can already see with this information how easy it is to drink 1200 calories. really easy. If you like mixed drinks I would suggest bloody mary. The calories actually have some nutrition to them and it can actually fill you up making you want to drink less. I am a beer drinker so I switched to Miller 64. This at least enables you to get more beer for your buck as far as calories go and will get you good and buzzed. There are times where I will go out and not drink and I will have seltzer with a splash of cranberry juice. This way at least looks like you are drinking and mixing the seltzer lowers the amount of sugar you would take in from a full glass of juice.... Hope this helps
  • tiffanyvorce
    Options
    I agree with you Meg7399! Way to state it how it is! I too like to go out occasionally and have a drink, I just have to watch out and make sure I'm not drinking a ton of calories! This blog post was actually really helpful, I didn't know all these nifty little tid bits about drinker "lighter" and still being able to have a few drinks without he guilt. Awesomeness! :)
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I didn't see where the OP said she couldn't have fun without alcohol. Some people don't want to give up bread or chocolate so they figure out ways to work it into their lifestyle. The OP doesn't want to give up alcohol so she's asking for suggestions to do the same. There's no need to tell her she should change her lifestyle to suit anyone besides herself. And I'm loving the flavor packet ideas! Definitely going to be throwing some in my purse for our next date night.
  • Ivey05131980
    Ivey05131980 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Dumb question, maybe...are there any more cals in flavored vodka than plain?
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have seen a few threads about how to avoid alcohol when you're out, but my problem is I actually ENJOY alcohol. It's a part of my future career,

Genuinely curious here, not saying you should or shouldn't drink. What career are you going into, that drinking alcohol is a part of it?
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It really all depends on how often you're going out. One gin and tonic (this is also my fav and I use diet tonic when I can too) shouldn't throw you off for the week, but if you're having 1-2 every night or most nights that could definitely change things.

Good food and good wine are a part of the culture around here, and going to the bar around the corner was common after class when I was in grad school. I found myself having 1-2 drinks almost every night with dinner even when it was just me and my boyfriend at home.

I'm not saying that there is a problem with enjoying a drink at home, but I decided that for me it was too much. The calories were a big part of it, but also I started reading more research on health impacts. It is recommended that women have no more than 1 drink per day (http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/brochurewomen/women.htm#drinking). In addition, I read up more on the research linking alcohol consumption to increased risk of breast cancer (http://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/20111101b). The increased risk for moderate drinking (3-6 a week) is small and more research is definitely needed, but it was enough for me to think twice about how much I consumed over the course of a week.

Anyway, I found some good (lower calorie) substitutes for when I'm home. I found that I really liked the bite of the wine and just having something different to go with dinner. The substitutes I found give me both a bite and something new or different to drink after a long day of work. My favorite so far is cucumber flavored dry soda. I still have a drink when I'm out with friends or on date night with my boyfriend, but now I know that I'm not overdoing it for the week when I do (even if they don't have diet tonic).

I get we're all different and what works for me may not work for you. Just thought I'd share what helped me :). Good luck!
  • BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I am craft beer and whiskey. I hate the macro beers (Bud, Coors, Miller, etc...) for many different reasons, but that's another topic.

So my problem is that there's no such thing as under 100 calories for my beers. Even a Sam Adams Light is 10 calories an ounce and as most Craft breweries serve beer in pint (16 oz) glasses or more that's 160 calories for a "LIGHT" beer. (that taste good) ;-)

I have found a few practices that help me...
    1. Save up calories for the brews you know you will have
    2. Only have the number your calories will allow
    3. Order a pint of water with every pint of beer and only order another beer when both the pint of beer and the pint of water are empty.
    4. Keep track of every drink. (I use Untappd and MFP)
    5. Work off calories before going or after the next day to make up. (the next day to make up is for when you fail at step 2 above)
    6. (This is the hardest one for me...) Do Not eat after a night of drinking. You will end up eating far more than you want to, or at least I always do. (Late night drive through... I hate you!!)

One last thing for any fellow Craft Brew drinkers out there. There is not way to nail down the calories in those things unless you know the beginning gravity and ending gravity and a rather large math equation, but I have found the info here: http://www.simplybeer.com/how-many-calories-are-in-my-beer/ is a great tool for guestimating... I have this on my phone and usually use the middle of the calorie range and it seems to work fine for me.

CHEERS!!
  • pandia17
    Options
    I love Captain Morgan and Diet Coke. Over the years I have dropped the Coke to Diet Coke and I'll have that. or I'll have vodka and Diet Sprite (if i can make it myself - most bars don't have that), or Plum Vodka with Sprite or Club Soda. (This one has more calories so it's used sparingly!)

I also like vodka with water and then adding Crystal Light. Best way to go for vodka (in my opinion) and you can customize it to taste however you want!

My advice? Stay away from all of the foo-foo drinks (margs, pina coladas, etc.) and stick to light beer or hard liquor with minimal mixers. When I'm out at a bar, I do like to drink. It's no fun being the only sober person there. Just keep it in moderation!