What is your favourite protein powder?

Options
I've tried quite a few protein powders, and it seems as though the term "You get what you pay for" certainly doesn't apply. I use them post-workout.

My Bootcamp instructor always told me to get it from the health food store and it was a particular brand that she suggested. However, it was very expensive.

I tried a lot of the Vega One products and they were absolutely awful - even mixed into smoothies, they tasted awful. I have no idea how people can rant and rave about this stuff. It tastes gross AND it's expensive - I couldn't think of one good thing about it. Their protein bars aren't too bad, though, if you can stand that health food taste.

I've tried hemp protein and I just couldn't get it down. Manitoba Harvest makes a hemp protein powder, but I just can't get past the grittiness that it adds to smoothies. However, their Hemp Hearts are out of this world! Awesome. I add them to all sorts of stuff.

The BEST Protein powder I have found is the NOW Foods Whey Protein Isolate and the Presidents Choice Whey Protein Isolate. They are cheap, have no added fillers or sugars, and they are pretty much just pure Whey Protein Isolate. I get the natural/unflavoured ones so that I can add my own flavours in the form of fruit or something like that.

All I have to add is - NEVER underestimate the power of e-mailing a company. They WILL send you samples if you ask, especially if you aren't sure that you will like it! What's the point in spending $40-$50 on protein powder only to find you don't like it? Always go for minimal ingredients, as well. Expensive isn't always the best. :)

What's your favourite protein powder?

Replies

• Bobtheangrytomato
    Bobtheangrytomato Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Spiru-tein
  • nuttyduffy
    nuttyduffy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Syntha-6 - pure yumminess :happy:
  • sjklaus
    sjklaus Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Whey Factors and/or NNW Healthy 100% Whey...
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Mmm I like the PC kind as well! The chocolate is so good, haven't tried their other kinds, if there is any.

Also when I can find it, usually in larger chain grocery stores, I really like Dyna Whey. It's similar to PC brand in that it's almost pure protein and minimal ingredients, and it tastes sooo good! Fav flavors are chocolate banana and chocolate peanut butter!

Thanks for the tip about emailing companies... Really good call!
  • anna32aries
    anna32aries Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post, I'm looking to get something cheaper. Right now I get Genuine Health Proteins+ in Natural Chocolate and it's delicious and mixes easy. Regular price it's about $60 so I'll try the ones you recommended.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    So far...the Sam's Club Simply Right Vanilla. About 20 bucks for a 4lb bag, nice and smooth it mixes well and for lack of any better description, it is fairly bland so it adds well to other things. I even made a rather credible no bake cheesecake with it.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Whatever's on sale and is just protein - not loaded with oodles of vitamins and other stuff I don't need.
  • magiccatwearsatux
    Options
    I love Ultimate Meal. It took me three shakes to get to the point where I enjoy the taste, but it makes me feel utterly fabulous. I have one every morning for breakfast.
  • dr3w_s
    dr3w_s Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition Gold standard, best taste and easy to mix IMO
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    It never occurred to me that someone might not like the taste of the Vega One protein powder. So interesting how we are all so different. I started off with a whey protein and my stomach was upset and I really did not like the taste. When I tried Vega one I actually felt naughty about drinking my smoothy because I love it so much. It makes sense though as I don't eat /drink milk products normally that I wouldn't like the whey. Glad you found some you like and thanks for passing the info along.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 (Vanilla). I got a 3lb container for $55, it's delicious, it's 60g protein for a 3scoop serving. I don't need 60g/ serving so it's easy to break up into 1 or 2 scoops (for 93 or 186 calories respectively). I'm a big fan.
  • Lanise_10
    Lanise_10 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition - Gold Standard Natural 100% Whey (Vanilla)
  • mackemom
    mackemom Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Thorne vanilla VegaLite
    Chocolate's good, too.
  • Sw33tKnees
    Sw33tKnees Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I did not do well with whey protein so I use Jay Robb Egg White Protein in Chocolate! Mmmmmmmm
  • Laxmom1418
    Options
    I LOVE Jay Robb Tropical Punch Whey protein powder. I like it alone with just milk. But most times I add plain greek yogurt and some frozen mango.....YUMMY!! If I can't drink the entire shake, I freeze the other half and later I have ice cream!!
    If anyone has any other suggestions, let me know. I can no longer stomach Chocolate, Vanilla or Cookies and Cream!!!
  • texastarmadillo
    texastarmadillo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The Perfect Milkshake protein powder is awesome! It comes in vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. I've tried a lot of powders and this is the only one I can drink with just adding water.
    [mod edit]
  • morielia
    morielia Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Isopure in dutch chocolate or vanilla
  • Prince203
    Options
    Optimum nutrition Gold standard - 100% whey - Double chocolate
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Muscle Pharm Combat Cookies and Cream .. by far one of the best, Have tried a few of the wal marts, the GNC brand, the Optimum Nutrion, Muscle Pharm is my favorite.
  • SweetT415
    SweetT415 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bump for later