Any chubbies at your gym?

Options
OK -- I have about 40 pounds to lose. I used to work out, and have just signed up for a gym membership. I cannot get myself to go in, however, in spite of being fairly used to using equipment, because I feel too porky to be there. Also, I am 48. Everyone there seems to be about 30 and very trim......................any suggestions on how to get my nerve up and get in there??? I feel like I have to lose about 20 pounds first, and meanwhile my membership isn't being used. Dorky I know, but I am kind of shy and don't have a great body image at this time.

Replies

• Routerninja
    Options
    Yep, me.

I don't really pay much attention to other people at the gym and if someone wants to judge me for being there. eff 'em. at least I'm there doing something about it.
  • baotzu
    baotzu Posts: 28
    Options
    Plenty of people in there in all shapes, sizes, and ages. Stop being insecure and just go in there and workout. No one will care, nor will anyone pay any attention to you.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Just go. Maybe it sounds mean or "too easy" but once you go, it'll be easier to go the next time, and the next. Baotzu is right-no one will care or notice. They're there to do their own thing. Walk in like you've been going there for years, jump on a machine and bust out your workout :happy:
  • blondie3_04
    blondie3_04 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I work at a college and get to use the gym here because I am staff. I had been to this gym when I was in college a few years earlier (I now work at the University full time) but had gained weight since then. I was nervous because even though I am still in my 20s there are a lot of younger college guys and gals that are very fit and working out there. At the time I had about 70 pounds to loose (now have about 50). I finally just walked in and said to myself "you know what if they are going to judge me then screw 'em. I am here to get healthy so I am not going to worry about these other people." I am also a shy person and often worry if I am going to be judged but I was finally able to convince myself that I really do not care what other people think. I now believe that me being there does not affect them so they probably are not even paying attention to me. Now I go and feel better for it. I do understand about being nervous especially the first time you want to get started. Good luck :)
  • miss_believer
    Options
    They may all be trim now but I bet there is at least one person at that gym who has felt exactly as you do. The first day is the hardest. Once you walk in you soon realize that everyone is too busy doing their own thing to pay you any mind. A good way to get it over with is to invite a friend to come with or go at a time where there are less people around.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yeah, me! Lots of other people too. I'm down 20 with 15-20 more to go. I actually get lots of high fives and what not from some of the guys there who've noticed my dedication and progress.
  • dtf88
    dtf88 Posts: 53
    Options
    People that feel the need to judge others to make themselves feel better are insecure, and honestly wasting their time. Do your best to ignore these people as best you can and focus on yourself. Your opinion of yourself is what matters, and other people's opinions alone can't physically stop you from reaching your goals, only you can stop yourself. I would be willing to bet that most people really don't care or judge you, some may even find it motivating to see someone really working hard at accomplishing the very tough goal of losing 40 pounds. Stay the course and you will get there.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I think this is a common misconception in gyms.

From talking to other gym goers and friends, more often than not, in the unlikely event that they DO notice you, they will think good on you for going.

Also, how do you know these people weren't in your position a year ago? Get your *kitten* in there and go for it.
  • caribear1984
    Options
    I am the "chubby" at my gym. I have another 150lbs to lose. I go work out with my personal trainer and am starting to jog on my own. My suggestion is that you get over it. Everyone there has at least one huge insecurity that they are hoping noone else will notice. Go work out, ignore everyone else.
  • JuliannaEP
    JuliannaEP Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Please go, despite your hesitations! Anyone who is worth anything won't be judging you. If you're actually working out when you're there (I'm sure you will be), then no problems. The people who judge aren't worth anyone's time. You'd be surprised by how supportive the fitness community (all shapes and sizes) can be if you work hard and smile occasionally. Gym time is for YOU and no one else. That's how you have to treat it. Good luck!
  • LisaGod85
    LisaGod85 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    There are always a variety of people who work out; people who look great, people who look not so great, and those in between. don't let how others look affect how you treat yourself! get in there!

Personally I use those who look better than myself to motivate me to succeed!
  • davidpearly
    davidpearly Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    dude I am just starting and need to lose close to 80 lbs still, and I go to mine 5 days a week. MAN UP and just go, screw everyone else and there opinions, people who judge are not worth the energy worrying about. Get in there and do your thing.
  • nofeardiver
    Options
    Just go in, no one there is truly paying attention to you, they are there for the same reason you are, to get in shape... Just do it... and dont look back...
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am 57, nearly 200 lbs and go to the gym most days at 5am. I will agree that 90% of the people dedicated enough to be there at that time are pretty fit and much younger. I think that makes me special because I AM THERE!! I get a lot of encouragement from the younger crowd as I believe the appreciate that I am making changes. I can't do everything in the classes but each week there are improvements. That younger, smaller group can be a real source of inspiration - variety is the spice of life - GO ADD SOME SPICE AND have fun with it!!!
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I'm 25 and chubby. I'm in good shape with weights/cardio but I HATE going because I feel like every time I do a move or machine a roll of fat is hanging out.

There are some others that are heavier there, but they stick to the cardio section....
    I guess we all have to suck it up and do it, or we will never lose the weight!
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Yes me.. when I go. Actually there are a lot, on the main floor there are mostly meatheads that don't work their legs (they drive me crazy) on the upper level there are all kinds of people of both sexes. Just suck it up and go. Seriously what do you have to lose?
  • athenaheim
    athenaheim Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Yep me. Just tell yourself that you are there for you and not them. Dont care what anyone thinks. You wont get anywhere if you dont make yourself do it. You can do it.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of overweight people at my gym, including myself.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I use 2 different gyms and the one thing that I know about the people at both of them is that no matter where their progression is versus their goals we're all there because we need to be in order to reach the goal, or maintain what you have.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Just go..is the proper advice. At first I was ashamed, but at least I knew that I was on my way to a better me. I use to hate going in to the weight side of the gym, because it was filled with hot, sweaty, not to mention grunting guys. Now I just go in there, show off my new found "guns" and grunt right along with them! LOL