Any chubbies at your gym?

Options

Replies

• srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I was heavier and used to HATE going to the gym when I was in college because all of the girls were very thin and simply beautiful. It was full of sorority girls and frat guys. The girls never seemed to be really working out. When I was there, I was sweating like a fat pig about to be turned into bacon. I just felt SO out of place. I then started taking some classes and one of my friends at the time (now one of my best friends) was in the class I went to. Her and I started to go together more often. That helped me feel better about being at the gym. I started to feel like I belonged there and I was not so concerned about what others thought. I then began to feel as though, hey, I'm here trying so that's better than I could say before.

WITH THAT, my suggestion would be find a gym buddy. It definitely helps to workout with someone else when you're feeling a little insecure.
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I've gotten the occasional chubbie now and then! !Oh wait, what?? :noway:

Thats what I thought it was going to be about too. :blushing:
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Don't be shy...there are plenty of people in there with similar goals to yours, and if anything, people will just applaud your efforts :) Most people at my gym are pretty supportive, and those that aren't just keep to themselves. I'm sure you'll run into the same scenario at yours :)
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Me. I weigh 268, go everyday and sweat my *kitten* off, no shame :D Ithere are quite a few other girls that are 300+ lbs also
  • Getyourshineon
    Options
    Don't worry about anybody else.. I'd bet most of them were heavy when they started.. Hold your head up boldly and just concentrate on what your goals are. You don't need anyone's approval there and once you realize that, your journey will become much easier. I used to be the same way.. The aerobic classes were always so scarey to me because the women were younger and trimmer... got to get past that. If I hide behind my fears I will never achieve my goals! Good luck to you!!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    me.

who cares what other people think.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Do you really think other people will be paying that much attention to you? Doubtful. They're usually concentrating on what they're doing.
  • otterish
    otterish Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Working out at the gym is like dancing: everyone is so worried about what *they* look like that they pay no attention to you.

Also, I did see a guy with a chubby at the gym on Sunday. He must REALLY love working out. :)
  • PhoenixIsis
    Options
    Just go and break the ice! It'll be awkward at first but after awhile it goes away. Ive just started and felt the same way, I'm 100 lbs over weight and it was like cultural shock going in and seeing how fit everyone is I felt embarrassed to be there but so far everyone has been nice and its no problem now. I think it is helping on other levels as well, not just fitness but with getting more use to getting out of my comfort zone. You'll be happy that you went :)
  • UticaBoy51
    UticaBoy51 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    As long as there are Yoga pants there will be plenty of chubbies.... wait, what was the question?
  • Panda307
    Panda307 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm shy too, but the more you go the less awkward it is. After a week you should feel comfortable. I love my gym there are people of all ages and sizes.
  • ReclaimingSarah
    ReclaimingSarah Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    <~ This chubby is in my gym! About half of the gym is in better shape than me and the other half are in worse shape. Just get in there & WORK! As long as you are trying, the other gym go-ers that happen to notice you will respect you for it.
  • chicken2v
    chicken2v Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    "You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they did."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt

I love this.

Years ago I started going to a gym when I was about 90 lbs overweight, and I had to ddrrraaaggg myself there because I was paralyzingly self-conscious. But you really do get over it if you keep going and just focus on what you're doing. If anyone said anything smarmy about my big (and not particularly graceful) self, I never heard them.
  • shellym616
    shellym616 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I too feel that way sometimes, but then I remind myself that anyone that looks at me and thinks I'm a chub is also seeing that I'm at the gym doing something about it.
    I wear headphones and listen to music or an audiobook, which kind of puts me in my own world. I've gotten to where I don't even notice the people around me most of the time.

Also... you would be surprised how many other people at your gym feel the same way you do.
    Sometimes it helps to remember that you aren't the only one.

Hang in there and don't let the hotties scare you away from your goal! :)
  • _LA_
    _LA_ Posts: 111
    Options
    Wow, fifty thousand replies already, lol. People of all sizes, ages and such at my gym. Even saw a guy heading for the bikes this morning who was using two walker kind of things to get around (older). I plug in headphones and have no idea what the people around me are doing - I agree, peopl eare much more interested in themselves than you. And many will have the same hangups even if YOU think they look thin
  • kkmonroe79
    kkmonroe79 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've got about 100lbs to lose...and I go 4-6 days a week! I know I'm probably the biggest girl in the gym...but I know I won't be for long. This is all about YOU! Do this for yourself - it doesn't matter who else is there. Put on your head phones, listen to music, and work out, HARD. You won't even notice who else is in there!
  • chokeslam512
    chokeslam512 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Get in there and work out like you own that place. Whenever I see someone else who is overweight (like me), taking the stairs, not using the rascal scooters in Walmart etc, I applaud the effort.
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    There are some in my gym and they get props for being there trying to get better and healthier!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    there are hella chubby's at my gym! I want to say MFP is for u but U never know who will stick with this!!
  • shellym616
    shellym616 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Great reply chicken2v!
    SO TRUE!

We all think everyone is noticing every little thing that we hate about ourselves, when most of the time they aren't even aware of us at all.