Binge Eating... Do you Own up?

Options
I was just talking to my mom (who's weight and emotional problems are very like my own) and I said how my bingeing gets worse when I am on PMS (now) and she was shocked I said the word out loud. She knows I do it, and I learned it from her, but we've never talked about it, and we pretend it doesn't exist when talking about our "healthy" diets.

She said she does it alone, and she would never talk about it. I will only do it alone too, but I feel like talking about it is the first step to stopping the behaviour. What about you?

If your spouse is around, will you not binge?
Do you hide your food packaging?
Does your spouse know about it?
Do you talk about it? To who? Therapist?

Just Curious

Replies

• maddi1315
    Options
    I absolutely do it in secret. I do it alone when I am stressed. If someone else is there, it keeps me from doing it out of sheer embarrassment. I guess I never realized that before though...
  • kaylinn9
    kaylinn9 Posts: 112
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with binging itself. The stigma that comes with binging has more to do with the aftereffects and the potential cases of those various binge eating disorders. Even so, it's not anything to be ashamed about!

You and your mom can help each other. If you talk to her and get her to understand why you want her to be more open about this, you both can help each other when you feel the urge to binge.

As supportive as your MPR family may be, it's good to have someone physically there to help you resist the cravings and temptations. I know that when I binge, it's a crazy guilty feeling afterwards.

I have a little countdown app on my phone that helps me stay motivated to not binge again, even with the onslaught of PMS syndromes. It's the little things that help.

And you can talk about it to anyone - a friend, someone that wants to listen, that cares. You don't have to be super secretive, because everybody - trust me on this - has those urges. Don't let your self-imposed thoughts on binging lead you to think that you're all alone in this. You aren't!
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    If your spouse is around, will you not binge? When I was married, no I tried to not binge around him. Overeat yes but binge no.

Do you hide your food packaging? I'd eat multiple candy bars and throw away the wrappers so no one saw. I'd eat 2 sandwiches from McDs on the way to work cuz I was alone.

Does your spouse know about it? My fiancee knows I used to have a problem and I can still slip (hubby and I divorced) and since my lifestyle change I'm really open about the fact that I am/have been a binge eater. Talking about it helps me stop the cycle and I hope it helps others too.

Do you talk about it? To who? Therapist? No therapist, but before i got on here and started changing, I did consider overeaters anonomous. Now I talk to friends that are on this journey with me.
  • VogtAndrea
    Options
    Usually when I binge, I'm alone. A lot of the time it's when I'm mad at myself, upset about something, sad and feeling sorry for myself or it's because I want something and don't know for sure what it is..... but its not what I put in my mouth a minute ago.
    I binge when I'm bored. In fact, I would binge right now but I'm done eating for the day and already logged my food. It doesn't take much to give yourself an excuse to binge. I ought to know. A year ago I was 300 lbs and I'm only 5 feet tall... on tiptoe. I've still got a long way to go but 230 lbs is easier on the knees, ankles, heart and lungs.
    Yes, I log it when I binge. I believe in accountability. Then I start fresh and log it all good or bad.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I live alone so my binges are usually alone though if there's a party, it's easy to do it then as well. But I won't record it all on MFP. As soon as I go over my limit, I stop tracking, but I know it's a lot. I usually try to make up for it the next day by working out extra hard.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to what people consider to be binge eating. How many calories in a day, for instance? I've always thought of binge eating as stuffing down five or ten thousand calories at a sitting (not a secret trip to McDonald's for the #8 and a milkshake) but I'd like to know what it means on MFP. Thanks!
  • rougecrayon
    Options
    When I binge I eat a normal amount of food, then a normal amount of another food, then another food. For example, I might have a bowl of salad, then 2 cookies, then a bowl of soup, then carrot sticks, then a zuchinni, maybe a bowl of chips. Just keep going back for more.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to what people consider to be binge eating. How many calories in a day, for instance? I've always thought of binge eating as stuffing down five or ten thousand calories at a sitting (not a secret trip to McDonald's for the #8 and a milkshake) but I'd like to know what it means on MFP. Thanks!

For me it's any time when I go waaaaaay over my calorie limit because im feeling so hungry or when i an impulsive fast food run as an emotional response to something and then try to shove it all in my face even after I start feeling full. The later has not happened in a while thankfully.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    For me it means eating until I'm so full I feel sick then a few hours later doing it again. I definately have done it alone.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I don't think there is a specific calorie definition to a binge, but what defines it is a feeling of lack of control. When you start and can't stop.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    When I binge I eat a normal amount of food, then a normal amount of another food, then another food. For example, I might have a bowl of salad, then 2 cookies, then a bowl of soup, then carrot sticks, then a zuchinni, maybe a bowl of chips. Just keep going back for more.

To me, this doesn't REALLY seem like a true binge. None of the foods you listed are complete meals on their own (unless it's a hearty soup/salad) so maybe you could try eating fewer and bigger meals throughout the day? I find that I don't eat like that if I have decent sized meals with an adequate amount of fat. Dietary fat is like my anti-binge, anti-snack secret weapon.

Still, if you are hiding food wrappers and keeping it a secret and just feel out of control and reckless when you eat, you definitely need to face that you have disordered eating habits and seek help for it.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever binged. Unless eating candy on Halloween counts, and in that case my husband sees me. One time when I was 16 I weighed 88 pounds, so I started eating lots of brownies and pie, so I could get back to 98 pounds and be healthy. My mother was worried that I was binging, but I wasn't. I just needed to gain weight and I did and then I ate in normal portions again. I'm glad I trusted myself and ate the brownies and pie.
  • lilylux
    lilylux Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm keeping myself accountable and logging all of my food when I do binge. I've just moved to a new place where the pantry is in the lounge (where my housemates hang out) which makes things easier as I wouldn't want them to see me overreat. I try to keep only fruit and almonds in my bedroom (which I've never binged on).

As someone else said - eating dietary fat certainly lessens the urge to snack/overeat/binge.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    i do binge and hey i get it twice a month tom and ovulation!!! joy! :sad:
    but it normally lasts anout 2 days each time!
    i DO confess everything in my food diary and always tell hubby ect i do not hide the wrappers.The way i see it if you just cant be honest why bother doing a food diary?:blushing:

THERE CONFESSIONS OF A FATCHICK DONE !:wink:
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Funny you should ask this tonight...

- I binged tonight.
    - I used to binge upwards of 2K or more, mostly junk food
    - today my binges are around 500, usually healthy-type food and happen once a month to once a week
    - I usually log them, but I didnt tonight... I have a special section in my diary for these occurrences and only a few of my friends on here know exactly why this section exists, besides the funny title.
    -I struggle with the thought of purging, and I resist it 99% of the time.

there, ugh... confession made. :ohwell:
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i do binge and hey i get it twice a month tom and ovulation!!! joy! :sad:
    but it normally lasts anout 2 days each time!
    i DO confess everything in my food diary and always tell hubby ect i do not hide the wrappers.The way i see it if you just cant be honest why bother doing a food diary?:blushing:

THERE CONFESSIONS OF A FATCHICK DONE !:wink:

I guess I am in the minority here because I'm a bloke, but sometimes I do binge, and being honest with yourself I think is the key. Then you can work out why you are binging and deal with the cause, not the symptom. If being honest involves talking to someone who will listen, then that helps me too. I worked out that my trigger was boredom when my wife went out, so now I keep myself busy and don't binge.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options

IMO, it is anything above my normal intake, usually when I am not truly hungry... but the biggest factor is that when i binge, I just start shoveling food in, with total reckless abandonment. I typically count every bite I take, and calculate precisely... when I binge, I DO NOT care... until I am done. :cry:
  • Lil14U
    Lil14U Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    That is exactly what I do when I binge; I don't have the excuse of PMS as I am postmenopausal. I think for me it is a habit when I am bored, lonely or upset and there is no one at home to stop me. And yes I used to hide what I ate from others frequently..
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    There seems to be a strong component here related to guilty eating.
    How many of you feel guilty about eating food you shouldn't even when you are either within your calories or just slightly above.

I'm not trying to be reductive, but am trying to understand the thinking that goes on during a binge.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    every once in a while i do binge but i dont hide it. i dont always log it but i do keep a record of how many calories i ate and more often than not i tell my MFP friends. then i wail loudly about the inevitable weight gain from all the sodium, calories and processed fatty rubbish i ate and spend the next week trying to undo the damage :laugh: i do also add my weight gain to my diary so i can see the damage myself.