Afterlife: Is There Life After Death?

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    "Nope. you get a dirt nap and then you're worm food. I think the concept of an afterlife is just a crutch for people who are afraid of death being an absolute end."

Actually, when I was an unbeliever, I never feared death. I figured that I didn't know anything before I was born so why would I think that there would be any problem after I ceased to exist.? But then, I had an experience, that caused me to fear God. The Bible says, "...the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom." Not saying that I possess any wisdom other than what I read in Scripture. But I lived my life in a very selfish, stupid and self-destructive way before God reached into the hellish pit that I was in and pulled me out. Were I Him, I can think of a lot of things that would probably have been a better use of His time and energy. But I will be forever grateful.

In Matthew 10:28, Jesus said: ""Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in Gehenna."
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    If Islam has a picture of Jesus that is very different from eye-witness accounts in the New Testament, then, considering that the Q'uran was written approximately 600 years after the life of Jesus, which account would I be more likely to consider accurate?
    Well let's see, back in the day eye witnesses would claim volcanoes were evidence of god's anger. Today we know from science why volcanoes erupt. And that's WELL after.
    Point is, eye witness testimony is subjective. Which ever one one was exposed to the most is probably the one they will believe.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

But would you believe a person who had never seen a volcano?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    "...Kinda hard pressed to deny that biblical scripture doesn't mention being born into sin..."

Yes, we are born in a world that is infected with the contagion of sin and we all sin (except for the One who knew no sin). BUT, we are not born with "Original Sin"---that is a theological concept conceived by men.

Let's just take one of your Scripture passages: "Psalms 58:3 - The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies."

The first thing you need to remember is that the Psalms are beautiful Hebrew poetry and thus there are poetic expressions. If you try to take it very literally, you come upon an absurdity--that the "wicked" speak lies from as soon as they are born. Don't know any newborns that speak at all, let alone speak lies. :smile:

You may or may not know that there are some basic rules of interpreting Scripture called hermeneutics. One of the first rules is that you take any passage literally, unless to do so results in an absurdity (such as the commonly cited Jesus' description of Himself as "the Door".
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    "Would you believe a person who had never seen a volcano?"

Don't even try using logic to debate matters of faith. It is your faith. Not science, not logic, not independently verifiable. To a non-believer, no book claiming to be written by God, no interpetations claiming to be done in spirit, are more legitimate than another.... Until they have faith.

If you guys wanna argue about scripture, you totally hijacked this thread.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    "...Kinda hard pressed to deny that biblical scripture doesn't mention being born into sin..."

Yes, we are born in a world that is infected with the contagion of sin and we all sin (except for the One who knew no sin). BUT, we are not born with "Original Sin"---that is a theological concept conceived by men.

I have to go with ninerbuff on this one.
    There is abundant scripture about being born into sin.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

But there is none that suggests that an infant who dies goes to hell.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Don't even try using logic to debate matters of faith. It is your faith. Not science, not logic, not independently verifiable. To a non-believer, no book claiming to be written by God, no interpetations claiming to be done in spirit, are more legitimate than another.... Until they have faith.

Well, "yes" and "no" answers can be pretty boring without an exploration of why we believe what we believe. Many of us use Scripture as a basis for our beliefs.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

But there is none that suggests that an infant who dies goes to hell.

Who is asserting that?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    "...Who is asserting that?..."

Perhaps I'm wrong, but that seemed to be Ninerbuff's original objection. He said, something to the effect of, "What about babies and young children who die?"
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I do believe that God wants us to question Him. To bring our doubts and confusion to Him. He wants it to be a real, living faith and relationship. A back and forth, getting to know Him.
    It's not stagnant. He wants us to know why we believe what we believe. We're not robots. He created us to be in relationship with Him.
    He gave us free will because He loves us and wants it to be our choice to believe in Him and follow Him. He doesn't want to force us into a relationship with him.
    Same way as I want my husband and children to WANT to have relationship with me. I want them to freely give their love rather than it be an obligation with resentment.

I am a member of a denomination. But, in general ritual, tradition and religion really turn me off with their propensity for hypocrisy and the my way or highway mentality.

I sense God most in my life when it's me and Him one on one, while being guided by my pastor.

This probably will not satisfy your quest for argumentative proof one bit, but it's all I got right now..:wink:
    What of children that die at birth or shortly after? Obviously if one is "born" into sin according to christian belief, then these children can't have received redemption, right?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I read it as a question requesting scriptural proof rather than an outright assertion
    But only ninerbuff can answer and tell us his intent:smile:
  • Jelaine56
    Jelaine56 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!! And where you spend it is the biggest choice of your life.

Yes, we all have choices and no one can make it for you.. But in my view you only have the choice between heaven and hell. Jesus or Satan... Make the right choice..
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    @ninerbuff: here is a preliminary answer with some scripture references (I still want to do further investigation, especially within my denomination to find out if they agree with the following assertions)

John 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed on the name of God's one and only Son.

2 Thessalonians 1:8-9 He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of The Lord and from the majesty of his power

Infants are incapable of not believing or of disobeying the gospel

Matthew 18:14 In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should be lost

2 Peter 3:9 Not willing that any should perish

God is loving and merciful, with a compassionate heart
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

Well, "yes" and "no" answers can be pretty boring without an exploration of why we believe what we believe. Many of us use Scripture as a basis for our beliefs.

To be quite frank, it's rather boring *with* the explanation, too. And I take offense to how you comment on other's religions or beliefs as if you are the expert....while citing "pride" as a sin in others.

I'm off to celebrate the holy day that today is, leaving ya with one quote to think on:

"Ain't nothing worse than a monster who thinks he's right with God."
  • goldied01
    goldied01 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    As a pk, I used to be adamant that there is a life after death. Then, I developed my own life view and now I'm not so sure. If someone finds out for sure (with concrete proof), please let me know.

Just out of curiosity, what would you consider concrete proof? There have been many accounts of people technically dying and then being resuscitated who claim to have seen heaven, hell, dead family members, bright light, God, etc.; but society writes it off as a delusion that is not to be trusted. So if the word of someone who has experienced it is not concrete proof, what is?
    I doubt God will let anyone bring back a heavenly donut (the taste is to die for and it has no calories).:laugh:

I'm with you. Great answer, I might ad..
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

To be quite frank, it's rather boring *with* the explanation, too. And I take offense to how you comment on other's religions or beliefs as if you are the expert....while citing "pride" as a sin in others.

I'm off to celebrate the holy day that today is, leaving ya with one quote to think on:

"Ain't nothing worse than a monster who thinks he's right with God."

Not an "expert"--just know what I believe. It has been my observation that pride is typically a problem with those who are easily offended. Have a nice evening.
  • gayatrik
    gayatrik Posts: 173
    Options
    Well.. the concept of KARMA says " this is a cycle" .... Soul leaves the body and then enters a new body based upon the good and bad deeds done during the past life ...

So, if you ask your Soul has a life after death.... YES and if its that your BODY, then definitely NO :)

My understanding of it :)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Well.. the concept of KARMA says " this is a cycle" .... Soul leaves the body and then enters a new body based upon the good and bad deeds done during the past life ...

So, if you ask your Soul has a life after death.... YES and if its that your BODY, then definitely NO :)

My understanding of it :)

Samsara at it's finest.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    Yep. I'm a prideful evil heathen, offended by xenophobia, racism, sexism, and homophobia. You nailed it!

Cue up the death metal!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Yep. I'm a prideful evil heathen, offended by xenophobia, racism, sexism, and homophobia. You nailed it!

Cue up the death metal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJkMrl4AG8w

You're welcome.
This discussion has been closed.