What to do with a head of cabbage?

Options
ThunderButt11
ThunderButt11 Posts: 33 Member
I have become a fan of the local farmer's market and am trying to expand my, and my family's, fruit and vegetable palates. I went a bit crazy and bought without a plan this week and find myself singing the following to the tune of drunken sailor:

What do I do with a head of cabbage
Cause I don't want to waste money

Replies

• GodzGirl4evr
    GodzGirl4evr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I cooked some tonight: I just put water in a frying pan. Next, I chopped up the cabbage a little and cooked it in the water on medium-high, stirring it all up every couple of minutes. I actually let it 'almost' burn in there, browning it a little. I added a little salt and pepper. Later, I thought I should have added onion, but it still tasted awesome! I just served it as a side dish. Otherwise, I know there is a easy recipe where you brown hamburger, put it in a 9x13 pan, chop up the cabbage (more fine) and put on top, and then add tomato sauce or soup. But I'm not sure on the exact recipe for that. Good luck!
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Slice it into 6 wedges. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, add a little EVOO and some bacon bits. Wrap it up in some foil and bake it until it's nice and soft. yummy!
  • liittlesparrow
    liittlesparrow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I love making cabbage soup :) I use a cup of purple and a cup of green cabbage. I use tomato paste, vegetable broth, and an array of veggies and herbs/spices all simmered together for about an hour. Makes a lot, low calorie, and I love it! I guess what I'm trying to say is try making a soup :p
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Taco salad! Ground beef (or I use Yves ground round since I'm vegetarian), shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, shredded cheese, black olives, crushed tortilla chips, I think kidney beans or something similar, and I think the dressing is Catalina dressing, it's red, and it's what makes the salad awesome. Anything else you want to add! I'm sure I forgot something, but it's awesome! Now I want some...
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    CABBAGE SOUP!
    COLE SLAW!

**what I don't do is let my dog have it, LOL. For some reason my dog LOVES cabbage, but it results in really ugly doggie digestive problems. :laugh: **
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Boil it with some salt and serve it warm
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Boil it with some salt and serve it warm

Boil it now with some salt and water
    And put it in your belllllyyyy!
  • jigglewiggles
    jigglewiggles Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Chop it up, boil it with a couple of chopped white potatoes, sliced yellow onion, frozen or canned corn, salt and pepper, a splash of apple cider vinegar and a Tb oil.
  • RawTriGal
    RawTriGal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    1 of my faves:

cabbage crunch salad:

15 cups shredded green cabbage (we used 2 medium heads, cleaned and cored)

1 teaspoon black or white toasted sesame seeds (we like the black for contrast)*

1 bunch (about 8) scallions, finely sliced including some green stems

3/4 cup sliced almonds, divided

Honey Dressing:

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1/4 cup apple cider

2 tablespoons honey

Salt, to taste

To make salad: In a large mixing bowl, toss all ingredients together well. Refrigerate until ready to dress and serve.

To make dressing: Whisk together all ingredients until emulsified. Cover and refrigerate. When ready to serve, whisk well and pour over salad; toss to coat. Makes 6 servings.

Per serving: 291 calories, 78 percent calories from fat, 25 grams total fat, 3 grams saturated fat, no cholesterol, 14 grams carbohydrates, 3 grams total fiber, 8 grams total sugars, 10 grams net carbs, 5 grams protein, 116 milligrams sodium.

*To toast sesame seeds: Place in a small heavy skillet over medium heat. Stir occasionally 2 to 3 minutes or until white ones begin to take on color and black or white become fragrant. Watch closely, they burn quickly.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    i hate how it stinks when boiled.

Sooooo... i chop it fine, stir fry it on Med High heat with onions and bell peppers and then add steak strips with Fajita seasoning for Fajitas!

I also shred it fine and stir fry it with sausage, onions, bell pepper.
  • fitmommy2013
    fitmommy2013 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    cabbage rolls =) soooo yummy and filling/healthy
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Options
    Braised cabbage is nice. Slice up an onion and chop up some bacon, saute those in a little olive oil (in a coverable saucepan big enough to hold the cabbage) til the onion is clear and the bacon cooked. Slice the cabbage - maybe around a quarter of a cabbage would probably feed 4-ish depending on the size) finely and add it to the saucepan. Cook for a couple of minutes, then add around a cup of white wine and around a cup of good chicken stock. You could also add a couple of bay leaves and a few peppercorns at this stage, and a teaspoon of brown sugar can be nice as well. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for at least an hour. Season to taste at the end (sometimes I find it needs a bit of lemon juice to bring out some tartness).

Goes nice with sausages.

Sorry if this appears twice - computer is having a bad hair day.
  • shaleigh07
    Options
    I love chicken cabbage soup! Throw some other veggies, broth, & spices (definately cumin)
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    First you make stuffed cabbage with the outside leaves and then the inside you make cabbage and noodles. 2 meals out of one cabbage!
  • superjean1
    superjean1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Mexican/Southwest slaw for fish tacos or just as a side. A recipe:

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/fish-tacos-with-creamy-lime-guacamole-and-cabbage-slaw

I usually do it on the fly without recipe (make ahead, the longer it sits the more flavorful it gets), but just google and there are plenty of different ones.

Cabbage
    Lime juice (1-2T)
    vegetable oil or olive oil (1T)
    cumin (1 t.)
    salt and pepper to taste
    celery seed to taste
    cilantro (1/3 c.)
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    mmmm green cabbage?? put it in soup!!!! i put the entire thing and i cut it into big chunks... i like it in my chicken soup.... !!! mmmmmmmm
  • aeg176
    aeg176 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2009/05/recipe-for-spicy-cilantro-peanut-slaw.html

You will wish you had an ever bigger head of cabbage!
  • wetsel23
    wetsel23 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Juice it!!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I had half a head left and I made egg rolls. Here is my recipe:
    Generic - Cabbage, Raw Shredded (70.0 g), 7 cup
    Generic - Ground Turkey, 16 ounces
    Shredded Carrot - Shredded, 2 cup raw
    Generic - Green Onion, 1/8 cup
    Kikkoman Soy Sauce - Low Sodium, 2 Tbsp
    Nasoys egg roll wraps, 15
    Several shakes of garlic powder
    1 tsp. grated fresh ginger

I put them on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper, sprayed them with olive oil cooking spray and baked at 350 for about 45 minutes. The wrappers were a bit more crunchy than what I would have liked, but after storing them overnight in a sealed plastic container, the leftovers were soft and delicious.Next time I plan to brush them with beaten egg instead of cooking spray to see if I can better results. Calorie count is 108 per egg roll.