What to do with a head of cabbage?

Options

Replies

• Bean5
    Bean5 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    1 of my faves:

cabbage crunch salad:

15 cups shredded green cabbage (we used 2 medium heads, cleaned and cored)

1 teaspoon black or white toasted sesame seeds (we like the black for contrast)*

1 bunch (about 8) scallions, finely sliced including some green stems

3/4 cup sliced almonds, divided

Honey Dressing:

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

1/4 cup apple cider

2 tablespoons honey

Salt, to taste

To make salad: In a large mixing bowl, toss all ingredients together well. Refrigerate until ready to dress and serve.

To make dressing: Whisk together all ingredients until emulsified. Cover and refrigerate. When ready to serve, whisk well and pour over salad; toss to coat. Makes 6 servings.

Per serving: 291 calories, 78 percent calories from fat, 25 grams total fat, 3 grams saturated fat, no cholesterol, 14 grams carbohydrates, 3 grams total fiber, 8 grams total sugars, 10 grams net carbs, 5 grams protein, 116 milligrams sodium.

*To toast sesame seeds: Place in a small heavy skillet over medium heat. Stir occasionally 2 to 3 minutes or until white ones begin to take on color and black or white become fragrant. Watch closely, they burn quickly.

So good! We make this with purple cabbage and also add toasted pecans.
    For regular green cabbage I'd say use it on fish or shrimp tacos, in pot stickers or lo mien or stir fry, or make a veggie-barley soup.
    These are the ways I get my family to eat cabbage! Lol
  • MadeToCraveHIM
    MadeToCraveHIM Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Cut it into wedges, spritz or drizzle with just a little oil, and roast until carmelized (browned). Best way ever to eat cabbage!!
  • playprettie1
    playprettie1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kpnive
    kpnive Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    GRILL IT! if you can't grill, then put in over and cook it - this is what you do, you cut into quarters *but not all the way down - so it is still in tact). Salt, pepper, Garlic powder the crap out of it and stuff a chopped onion into the quarter. If you have bacon or turkey bacon, use 6 strips of bacon and criss/cross over the top. Cover the whole thing in foil (like a ball) and bake on 350 for a good hour or until it softens. IT IS SOOO GOOD!
  • AubreySue81
    AubreySue81 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Bump. There are some delicious-sounding ideas here!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Make sauerkraut.
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump
  • devan44
    devan44 Posts: 130
    Options
    Fry 6 strips of bacon save grease chop up onion, cabbage and throw it in the pot with the bacon and the grease cook till tender - DELICIOUS!

Or make cabbage soup - cut up cabbage, onion, put in a pot with 2 cans of tomato, green pepper, some celery, 2 packs of beefy onion soup mix, and cook till tender, delish and low cal
  • chette78
    chette78 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hello...Haluski! Yum....Cut up cabbage saute with a minced onion salt and pepper and Smart Balance butter serve with cottage cheese and egg noodles (wheat) best thing ever...
  • Shook765
    Shook765 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I usually slice it up into shreds and then cook it in a pan with a little EVOO and a splash of sherry and some salt and pepper. We use this alot when making stir fry as the base to put the other veggies and meat on instead of rice. I also make vegetable soup and add cabbage to that or slice it up and throw in our salads...gives a nice crunch. Cabbage rolls are good too. :)
  • eutalia2000
    Options
    With a hole head of cabbage besides salad i would do 3 recipes:
    1st - Cabbage with white rice and salsa
    2nd- Rolls with rice and lentils
    3rg- Rolls with rice and pork mince
  • phyllistheresa
    phyllistheresa Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I usually sautee it in some EVOO with fresh garlic, salt, pepper and onion.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    This---> http://theadvocate.com/features/recipes/4716834-123/smothered-cabbage

I made it with turkey sausage and it was really tasty. The pre-chopped fresh Cajun seasoning blend referred to is equal parts of onion, bell pepper and celery.
  • joeyhabib
    Options
    I like doing a lazy mans cabbage rolls with ground turkey, fresh tomoato, peppers, and what ever else you want to put in.. LOL
  • slcostel
    slcostel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I use it where I would put shredded lettuce on my sandwiches. Had some yesterday on a philly chicken sandwich, and also on a tuna po boy. I thought it was great. I can't really tell the difference between cabbage and lettuce though (apparently there IS one...)
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    Chop it finely and fry in a wok with a little oil, when it starts turning brown i add a little water and let it steam, then in another pan I fry up some apple and chopped bacon and add it to the cabbage, really yum. Even my son who hates veggies loves this!
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I sautee mine in EVOO, garlic chunks and salt and pepper. I love it crunchy, so I only sautee til its just heated. MMM MMM!!
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I really want to like cabbage... maybe this will help.