What to do with a head of cabbage?

Options

Replies

• Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I love it anyway you make it!
    One of my favorites is fried with a bit of diced up green tomato and a few hot peppers.
    Also good with some onion sauteed in with it and then toss in a little brown sugar and cooked noodles. Last time I added smoked sausage. Not the healthiest meal on the planet.. just mind your portions
  • TNEKEIA
    Options
    sautee it with julienne cut johnsonville smoke turkey sausage links, green bell peppers and extra virgin oil with a little sugar (to kick the bitterness), pepper and sea salt. Cut the cabbage in thin strips it cooks faster. Let is sautee for about 30 to 40 mins. i eat this at least once a week.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend brought home a head of green cabbage a couple weeks ago and I've been slowly working on it. First I sliced some thinly and threw it into a chickpea vegetable soup. Another day I chopped up a few leaves and added them to a Thai red curry. Tonight I'm going to shred it to make a topping for tacos. I think I still have half a head left after all that but it least it lasts a long time in the fridge. Maybe I'll make a potsticker filling with the rest.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    brown one slice of bacon in a large pot. remove bacon. add 1 chopped onion to bacon drippings and sautee for a minute or so. add cabbage (1/2 - 1 whole head as it cooks down a lot) and cook over very low heat for a few minutes. add about 1/2 cup water, salt, pepper and/or lawry's seasoning salt to taste. cook down until soft. yummy! (but it'll make you toot). :) also, cabbage rolls are wonderful and healthy -- also cutting it up and adding to an asian stir fry (at the very end so it's a little crisp) OR, I also like to make Curtido - south american version of coleslaw. You can find several good recipes online. Involves vinegar and oil heated to boiling - pour over cabbage with shredded carrots and pickled jalapenos and a little oregano, salt and pepper. Refrigerate and serve as a side or on pupusas. YUM!
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Chop it up and add the ingredients to make a Chinese Chicken Cabbage Salad. Yummy
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    make soup
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Slice it into 6 wedges. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, add a little EVOO and some bacon bits. Wrap it up in some foil and bake it until it's nice and soft. yummy!

What's EVOO? Sounds easy and good with few ingredients (three of my criteria for recipes). :smile:

p.s. I just figured out that EVOO is "extra virgin olive oil". I'm going to try this recipe!
  • sweatinontheeastcoast
    Options
    Can't wait to try some of these :) I always order a cabbage stir fry when I go to the asian restaurant near my work but I haven't been able to master bringing it into my own kitchen.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    "...(but it'll make you toot). :)..."

Well, OP does call herself, "Thunderbutt" so it's all good. :laugh:
  • tnshahud
    tnshahud Posts: 163
    Options
    Slice it up and use it in place of Lettuce in a Turkey Wrap!
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    My favorite cabbage dish: Unstuffed Cabbage stew, from Jane Brody's Good Food Gourmet. Super yummy with mashed potatoes, but I'll be skipping that part now (or maybe just a small helping). Besides the cabbage, it contains lamb (and rice) meatballs. Basic ingredients are:

large onion
    2-pound head of green cabbage
    1 pound ground lamb
    raw white rice
    tomato sauce
    canned whole tomatoes
    water
    honey
    lemon juice
    Worcestershire sauce
    salt & pepper
    raisins

Makes 6 servings, about 430 cals. each. You could cut the cals. a bit by eliminating/reducing the raisins or rice and moderating the honey. (The book came out in the low-fat era, which perhaps explains the somewhat high amount of carbs.)

If interested, send me message, and I can give you the complete recipe. Super easy.
  • Sballard418
    Sballard418 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I spray the frying pan with Olive Oil and then add large chunks of the cabbage and fry - almost until blackened, but definitely browned... then pour flavored rice vinegar over it and let it cook just a minute or so more! YUM!
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    In case you have excessively dry skin, you can take some cabbage and boil in milk. Wait for the mixture to cool completely and then blend in a mixer jar. Form a smooth and thick paste. Add a few drops of wheat germ and bergamot essential oils to the mixture, if desired. Apply this mask all over face and neck and keep for about 25-30 minutes and then wash off with warm water. Apply this mask at least thrice a week for maximum benefits.

For greasy and acne-prone skin you can mix 2 tablespoons gram flour with enough cabbage juice to form a smooth and thick paste. Add a few drops of tea tree and lemon essential oils to the mixture. You can also add a pinch of turmeric to further increase the potency of the pack. Apply this pack evenly to face and neck. Keep for about 25 minutes and then remove by massaging in gentle circular movements. Do this at least four times a week for best results.

Read more at http://www.ifood.tv/blog/how-to-use-cabbage-for-skin-care#o3vBaRozCQGbCo4p.99
  • jg6511
    jg6511 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have become a fan of the local farmer's market and am trying to expand my, and my family's, fruit and vegetable palates. I went a bit crazy and bought without a plan this week and find myself singing the following to the tune of drunken sailor:

What do I do with a head of cabbage
    Cause I don't want to waste money
  • jg6511
    jg6511 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love cabbage. Did you know that if you let it ferment (kraut) it becomes a superfood? So I'm making my first batch of sauerkraut. Here's how: Wash and dry cabbage, shred it, adding salt to taste. Place in large jar or crock with lid. Cover the cabbage with piece of cheesecloth (I didn't have any so used a clean handkerchief. Weigh the cheesecloth down (I used large rocks). Screw top on jar or tighten lid on crock. After 24 hrs, if water hasnt formed enough to cover cabbage, add salted water enough to cover. 2-6 weeks later (after air bubbling stops), It's now a superfood.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    In case you have excessively dry skin, you can take some cabbage and boil in milk. Wait for the mixture to cool completely and then blend in a mixer jar. Form a smooth and thick paste. Add a few drops of wheat germ and bergamot essential oils to the mixture, if desired. Apply this mask all over face and neck and keep for about 25-30 minutes and then wash off with warm water. Apply this mask at least thrice a week for maximum benefits.

For greasy and acne-prone skin you can mix 2 tablespoons gram flour with enough cabbage juice to form a smooth and thick paste. Add a few drops of tea tree and lemon essential oils to the mixture. You can also add a pinch of turmeric to further increase the potency of the pack. Apply this pack evenly to face and neck. Keep for about 25 minutes and then remove by massaging in gentle circular movements. Do this at least four times a week for best results.

Read more at http://www.ifood.tv/blog/how-to-use-cabbage-for-skin-care#o3vBaRozCQGbCo4p.99

Thanks for sharing this-- I'm always on the lookout for dry skin treatments and coconut oil isn't cutting it these days. Have you tried it yourself? I wonder if it would work just as well with water or almond milk (I usually don't have cow's milk at home).
  • nursestewart
    nursestewart Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    If anyone has a kimchi recipe.......
  • Blossom59
    Blossom59 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I make cabbage soup. I like mine hot and spicey.......so I add a can of tomatoes with green chilis......then I add either chicken or ground beef to it. My family loves it......make it in your crock pot and then it will be ready when you get home.