500 calories burned a day?? Really???

Options

Replies

• abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I weight 190.8 as of today and I can go to the gym and burn over 500 calories, especially if I am running or jogging. Typically I am in the 300-600 range (I know, big range) depending on what I am doing and how hard I am working.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I burn well over 500 additional exercise calories everyday and I don't consume back extra calories. I've dropped 128 in seven months. I actually have had a week where I purposely had negative calories for the week. Burned more through workout than I consumed and I did not eat back my calories. It takes time to burn those calories, but its worth it! Anyone is welcome to add me. My food diary is open to friends.
  • punkinkat
    punkinkat Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I try to burn at least 500 cals per day. I do this by going as hard as I can for as long as I can, or by doing smaller workouts throughout the day. Something like Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred + Jogging on the treadmill for about enables me to burn about 7-800 cals. Toss in a few spins around the block with the doggy, and I sometimes make 1000 :)

I usually eat most of my calories back, focusing on daily "net" calories (in vs out). I just don't feel very well at all when I'm expending way more energy than I consume. Without eating enough or properly, I end up with no energy or motivation, and tend to spend the next two weeks feeling lethargic, not working out, and pigging out on junk food.
  • DonnaCarmody
    DonnaCarmody Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I run in the morning before work at 5:15 for anywhere from 50 to 70 minutes usually 5 days a week. I do not add calories for doing this because I never had before. I believe this would slow down weight loss. People say you need to eat more on those days but I think no because I lost 10 pounds the first month and have 10 to go. Its great when you get off work and have already exercised. Sometimes I will walk at night while the kids are at their sports practices too.
  • samlankford
    Options
    just working out I will burn between 500-1100 calories a day... Les Mills Combat in the morning then walking and running up steps on my lunch break... everyones burn will be different... according to my "body media link" on days that I workout (I take one day a week off but always end up doing SOMETHING!) I will burn over 2500 a day, if I do nothing at all I will burn less
  • Roverage
    Options
    Last year, I trained for a marathon. All you have to do to burn 500 calories is run 5 miles (at roughly ten minutes a mile, I think). That's less than an hour of running. I didn't do that every single day, obviously, but I ran four or five times a week and towards the middle of my training, 5 miles became the short run (which I did twice a week) and then had a mid-length and long run. On those days, the calorie burn would be between 700 and 1500 depending on my speed.
    Anyway, it's time consuming but possible. I tried to do my long runs on the weekends, which I would clear of any plans knowing I would be dedicating anywhere from 1-4 hours to running. It's tricky during the week with mid-length runs. I did a lot of running at night, especially because it was summer and nights were cooler. Where there's a will, there's a way!
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    This morning I ran some outdoor stairs with a friend and took the long way home on my bike for a 499 burn. One hour. If I do circuit training or strength work, it's usually more like 2-300. I love to be out for an hour in the morning, so it's a good, sustainable routine for me 5 days a week. I wear a HRM- the MFP estimates are way off in my experience.

Do what is fun and sustainable for you. I mean, I'm sure some people think being on an elliptical 10 hours a week is great fun, and more power to them! No way in hell I would ever spend more than 20 minutes on a machine at the gym, though. It's like torture.

Also, as I'm sure people before have pointed out, the calorie burn is not the end-all-be-all. You can burn burn burn and get skinny-fat. Tons of cardio is a waste of time unless you are doing something for fun. Make sure you are challenging your muscles with strength training if you want to look good naked!
  • Teako36
    Options
    I do Tae Bo I burn over 500 Cals 4 to 5 times a week
  • MrsSardone
    MrsSardone Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I try to burn at least 600/day in less than an hour. I do the elliptical on a pretty high resistance. For some reason on the days I workout I'm not as hungry as my rest days. On my rest days I'm famished and go well over my calorie goal.
  • ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    The only time I get burns close to 500...450? Is when I do a spin class or Kosama...High Intensity work out group fitness classes.
    I wear a HRM with a strap, I never go by what any machine or MPF says...as they both guestimate me much higher than what my HRM says.
  • Wardnow
    Options
    You do realize your body is always burning calories, even when not working out. probably like atleast 50cals a hour at least!
  • HollyHobbitToes
    HollyHobbitToes Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I could easily do 500 calories with a combo of my stationary bike in the afternoon and then a walk in the evening...I eat back some of my calories burned but not always....
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Last trip to the gym I got about there. 30 mins on treadmill followed by 30 mins of weights... Then again I am still heavy enough that I burn more than someone who is fit and at a healthy weight, per my HRM.
  • McCelmer
    McCelmer Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am looking for some feedback from people who are burning 500 calories working out everyday (or even used to but don't anymore)....is this realistic? What does your normal day look like (go to work at this time, eat this time, workout at this time etc....)? Do you eat more on days where you burn 500 calories? Help! :) Thank you!

For me, running burns about 100 calories per mile. I try not to eat more on the days where I burn a lot but I also make sure I'm consuming enough calories to fuel the workout and recover from it.
  • IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    i burn at least 1000 plus calories :) love seeing my numbers higher then 500!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kmichelle1821
    Options
    i dont pay that much attention to how many calories i burn. i just make sure i get my but to the gym 5 times a week and keep my heart rate between 175-190. im just starting out so im trying to pace myself, as long as i get to they gym and stay 30 to 45 mins i am proud of myself! do what works for you and the more you work out the longer you can stay and the harder the workout you can do to burn more calories!
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Calorie burners on machines typically are inaccurate. I go with about 2/3 of what it says I burnt. 65 minutes on the elliptical, after the math there, is close to 450.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time, usually by walking/running and weight lifting. A 30 minute run/jog with a 30 minute walk always gets me close or over 500 cals. Add lifting 3 times a week and I easily top 600-700. I only eat exercise calories if I'm hungry.
    Ill also add that I weigh less than 150, I'm 5ft 3 and I use a Polar FT4 HRM.
  • CADreaming09
    CADreaming09 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If you workout out for at least an hour and do at least 15-20 minute of cardio during that hour, 500 calories is very possible.
  • haliebest
    haliebest Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I try to burn between 400-500 on the 4-5 days I work out per week. I either do 1 cardio and 1 strength workout OR 2 cardio workouts on these days. I do one cardio at my own at the gym, and then either a cardio or strength workout class. I have to split it up, or I'd go crazy. Here's the typical amounts I burn for each and a typical schedule I follow:

- 6:00 am- 30 min Treadmill walk/run (burns 250-300 cal) OR 40 min swim ( burns 300-400 cal)
    - 8:00 am- Get to work
    - 8:30 am- Breakfast
    - 11:30 am- 45 min Workout class- Total Body Tone/Strength Training class (burns 150-200 cal) OR Circuit Training class (burns 300-400 cal) OR Step Cardio class (burns 300-400 cal)... I'll sometimes do an evening class instead of an afternoon one, but I like to get it over with. I am fortunate enough to have a gym with workout classes at my work
    -12:30 pm- Lunch
    -5:00 pm- Leave work
    -6:00 pm- Dinner