Left Handed Compliment. Who's getting them....

Options

Replies

• dvdfox67
    dvdfox67 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Isn't it telling that in America, if you lose weight people start thinking you're sick! Why else would someone's weight be decreasing instead of increasing?? Ha! Keep up the good work, myfitnesspal comrades!
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    It's not so much a compliment but I'm surprised by coworkers who say "you can eat whatever you want because your so skinny."Something about that word makes me bristle.I work for a new company and didn't know most of the people I work with when I was heavier. They don't know how mucbh work I've put in. Maybe it's because when I was heavier I assumed thin attractive people must not be very smart because,why would they need to be? Can't judge a book....
  • tasharock
    tasharock Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My mom told me "Your face looks so much more like... "you"!
    Jealous much? Whatever happened to a standard, "great job"?
  • Lizzythecat
    Options
    I lost about 75 pounds three years ago in a short amount of time (not in a healthy way unfortunately, liquid protein diet consisting of 500 calories a day), I was working in all-female office and apart from one close colleague no one complimented me (which was ok with me, I wasn't doing for compliments).

Of course I could not sustain the crazy diet and quickly put most of the weight back one. Then the comments started: 'what happened, diet not working anymore?', or, this one really hurt: 'but you looked amazing' (notice the past tense...).

These girls couldn't say anything nice when I lost the weight but as soon as I started putting it back on they couldn't wait to shove it in my face. Women eh :ohwell:
  • Rosytakesoff
    Options
    After losing 100 pounds in seven months, a coworker said, "It's really great you are losing weight sooo slowly. That way you won't look drawn and haggard."

My stepdad said to my husband that I would just gain all my weight back anyway. Good thing he didn't say it to me. He'd be talking around a knuckle sandwich.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I get that from my "overweight" friends/family too! They say my face looks too skinny. WTH?!
  • JulieBGoood
    JulieBGoood Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    " Heard you had weight loss surgery, you look good..." I have never had surgery (not that there is anything wrong with that) Glad to know that people from high school are talking about me & someone decided that I couldn't possibly lost 60 lbs on my own and decides to tell everyone I had gastric bypass.
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    I enjoy people who ask are you on a diet. I usually respond nope I'm just eating healthy and then I show them what I eat in a day and they're amazed with how much I eat. Eating 1700-2100 calories of non junk is hard to do!!

Totally agree! Even though people at work SEE what I eat, they still make dumb comments about me not eating. REALLY?! I eat 1700+ calories a day of REAL FOOD and 66% of that is FAT!
  • SnicciFit
    Options
    Guy at work asked me how much weight I had lost. I always feel uncomfortable answering this, but I'm about being honest, so I told him my number (48 lbs at the time). His response was to laugh and say, "wow if I lost that much weight, I'd be a skeleton."

RUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I love how people ask how you are doing it and when you tell them that you are eating better and exercising, they look disappointed. They were just so ready for you tell them about the newest fad, so they can tear it apart. Or the other people
    that is not losing weight and they are going to tell you what's right or wrong. LOL!
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    OH, sorry about the double post but I hate the word diet...it in our society it comes with a stigma. Diet means what you eat. Everyone is on a diet. I am not on a "diet" as in I'm temporarily lowering my calories to lose weight. I have changed my lifestyle to live a healthier life.
  • alienrite
    alienrite Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I get asked all the time how I lost the weight and I tell them that ate less by counting calories to control my intake and moved more by working out every day before work. I have yet to have anyone be anything other than disappointed by my answer. I am also getting a lot of "you look great but I hope you don't lose too much". I have another 10 lbs to my initial goal and probably 20 lbs until am even close to lean.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of offended because I'm left handed...
  • reasnableblonde
    reasnableblonde Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    A coworker who is very visibly thinner than me (but same height) who knows she is at least 20 lbs lighter than me (we've talked numbers before) was lamenting that she needed to get smaller because she jiggles when working out in her underwear. (She's in the lower range of healthy weight. I am in the upper range, dancing on the line to overweight.) After noticing that I'm standing there looking at her, she goes, "but YOU look good."

Right.

(I'm not really insulted by this. More like inspired to work harder... and it also makes me think she's a little bit off her rocker.)
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Oh,and an old "friend" who said "Wow,imagine if you had done this when you were younger.Maybe you wouldn't have ended up with that loser". ( She's kinda right.He's now my ex and is indeed a loser)
  • BrittanyNBuchanan
    BrittanyNBuchanan Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My mom is by far the worst... I lose 5 lbs and she's like "You're anorexic!!! You need to eat more!" Woman! I am borderline obese!!! I am not even close to anorexic. Then my sister (who is big too) goes "You're not fat. You're lumpy." Excuse me?!?! How is that better? Gah!
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It wasn't really a compliment but it was certainly left handed. My sister (she's the skinny one...I'm the fat one) asked me what my goal was. I told her 145. She kinda made a grimmace and said. I'm 145. 145 is really hard to be. You should probably set a goal a little more modest. Wow.....that's all I can say. Wow.
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I get asked all the time how I lost the weight and I tell them that ate less by counting calories to control my intake and moved more by working out every day before work. I have yet to have anyone be anything other than disappointed by my answer. I am also getting a lot of "you look great but I hope you don't lose too much". I have another 10 lbs to my initial goal and probably 20 lbs until am even close to lean.

Yes! People hate to hear that it's just that easy. They want you to go on and on about some fad diet or magic pill.
    I have told several people about this site and how I am losing and they just roll their eyes and say it's too much work for them. Ok, well then how do you think I am doing it? Haha. I guess they think you're lying, and then of course say you look sick or something to make themselves feel better.
  • brookelynhoneycutt
    Options
    "Do you ever eat?", "You need to get some meat on your bones", "you need to eat more", and then just general comments about being too skinny: all from family of course. But they are also sure to point out if I ever gain weight. So observant! At least they are consistent on both ends of the spectrum :tongue:
  • nikki2001
    nikki2001 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    When I had lost -70 lbs (gained 20 back, but losing it again) I showed a co-worker a before & after pic and she said in my before pic it looked like I had on a fat suit....wow really? but then she said u look great now, did I look so bad before? hmm...:indifferent: :huh: :ohwell:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!