Vegetarians Live Longer and Healthier

Options

Replies

• charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for 15 years.
    But I must say: they are STATISTICALLY healthier. Just avoiding meat won't necessarily make you a healthy person; sure, you avoid many processed and rubbish stuff. But you can have a healthy lifestyle eating meat, and a horrible lifestyle being vegetarian. I see no actual health benefits to being vegetarian; I see health benefits to watching your macros and keeping it as clean as possible.

So true, when I first became vegetarian when I was a kid, I only ate potato (hash browns, fried chips etc) and veggie patties in white bread, cup noodles and general processed junk. I gained so much weight, which is why I'm here now. My diet wasn't healthy in the slightest, but now I eat a variety of foods and feel much better. You can definitely have a shocking vegetarian diet!!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    The reality is, the lifestock industry produce substantially more CO2-equivilant emissions each year than the ENTIRE TRANSPORTATION INDUSTRY. The reason being that people are consuming so much meat, that cows are being artificially inseminated to keep up with the demand and there are far more cows to feed and care for, and eventually process, than the environment can naturally sustain. This isn't something that I've made up either, it's well documented and the WHO (World Health Organization) has even made statements in regards to this issue.

This piece of misinformation kills me. You know plants breathe CO2?
    I can MAYBE see people b#tching about methane levels from animals, but more CO2 just means healthier plants.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    As a vegitarian how to you get 30-40% of calories of protien? Pm

I've been vegetarian for over 2 years & get about 35% of my calories from protein. It's really not difficult. Feel free to look through my diary for ideas.
  • NatashaVR
    Options
    ( American Indian Vegetarian = Bad Hunter )

:wink: More power to ya! I however will not become a vegetarian!
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    bump
  • VictoriaWorksOut
    VictoriaWorksOut Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    If to be concerned about liver and kidney health, one should quit taking all the meds. Medicines that so many people take are ruining their health in a way that can not be reversed. Also, ladies, two of the most popular over-the counter lotions that are made to "erase" the dark spots on face contains a chemical that is labeled toxic and poison to liver. So argument for vegetarian vs. meat eater protein intake effects on liver and kidney is fast fading on the background of everything else that is consumed.
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    The reality is, the lifestock industry produce substantially more CO2-equivilant emissions each year than the ENTIRE TRANSPORTATION INDUSTRY. The reason being that people are consuming so much meat, that cows are being artificially inseminated to keep up with the demand and there are far more cows to feed and care for, and eventually process, than the environment can naturally sustain. This isn't something that I've made up either, it's well documented and the WHO (World Health Organization) has even made statements in regards to this issue.

I can MAYBE see people b#tching about methane levels from animals, but more CO2 just means healthier plants.

Yes and the plants get CO2 from what we and other animals exhale. The remainder of the excess CO2 kills the ozone. This is a pretty well accepted fact among scientists.
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options

Yes and the plants get CO2 from what we and other animals exhale. The remainder of the excess CO2 kills the ozone. This is a pretty well accepted fact among scientists.

Further point, "more" does not always mean "better". The air we breathe is 21% oxygen which is perfectly sufficient for life on earth. More oxygen wouldn't necessarily be a good thing for people or other animals because it's an oxident and too much can cause free-radical damage. And example of too much O2 being a bad this is in premature infants who receive high quantities of O2 and it contributes to a condition called retinopathy of prematurity, which if left untreated, leads to blindness. So it would be scientifically unfounded to "assume" that more CO2 for plants is better than what they currently need. Also, 70% of what was the amazonian rainforest was cut down for cattle grazing.. even bigger negative impact on plants, if the "yay Co2 for plants" argument was still circulating around your head... we're destroying them.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

Further point, "more" does not always mean "better". The air we breathe is 21% oxygen which is perfectly sufficient for life on earth. More oxygen wouldn't necessarily be a good thing for people or other animals because it's an oxident and too much can cause free-radical damage. And example of too much O2 being a bad this is in premature infants who receive high quantities of O2 and it contributes to a condition called retinopathy of prematurity, which if left untreated, leads to blindness. So it would be scientifically unfounded to "assume" that more CO2 for plants is better than what they currently need. Also, 70% of what was the amazonian rainforest was cut down for cattle grazing.. even bigger negative impact on plants, if the "yay Co2 for plants" argument was still circulating around your head... we're destroying them.

there are just as many scientists who say that isn't true.

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2009/10/07/scientist-carbon-dioxide-doesnt-cause-global-warming
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    The article the OP posted pretty much concludes that it's the Mediterranean type diet the Adventists follow that helps keep them healthy. Also I am wondering if the "typical" Ameican diet subjects used for comparison were drinkers and/or smokers or did they control for that Also a strong sense of community and strong faith may play a role in determining life span. It seems to me there are a lot of variables besides vegetarian vs. meat eaters here. JMHO
    ETA--do Adventists drink soda?--maybe another variable there.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    The advent of agriculture (plant based diet) shortened our lives. Skip to 29:00 to hear more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6b7zJ-hx_c
  • blakDC
    Options
    Wow, so many opinionated people!

An average American diet consists of lots of meat and processed food. The point isn't necessarily to make people vegetarians, but to make them more aware of the impact. Making one day a week vegetarian makes an enormous impact. Adding more vegetables and fruits and limiting the amount of meat and dairy works as well.

I'm a vegan and I agree with the studies and the impacts, but that is my lifestyle choice. I would never force or preach about the way I live to those who do not agree, or just in general. I make as little impact on my environment and as little harm, but again, it is my choice! Also, Forks Over Knives is a FANTASTIC documentary that shows a lot of studies about how adopting a plant-based diet effects a persons diet. LOVED that documentary, made me switch to a strict vegan lifestyle. Of course, this lifestyle isn't for everyone.

Anyway, interesting study for sure!
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for most of my life (turned vegan recently). I have regular blood work done and I am not deficient in ANYTHING! My blood pressure is great, blood sugar also. I also look a hell of a lot younger than my friends who are the same age as me (32). I have never been very ill and have never had the flu.
    Coincidence?
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for most of my life (turned vegan recently). I have regular blood work done and I am not deficient in ANYTHING! My blood pressure is great, blood sugar also. I also look a hell of a lot younger than my friends who are the same age as me (32). I have never been very ill and have never had the flu.
    Coincidence?

I've eaten meat for over 60 years and have perfect blood work and blood sugar too. Have no idea if I look younger than my peers. Also I seldom get sick, can't even remember when I last had a cold or flu. My only health problems, other than being overweight, are bad joints and I credit that to overuse when younger. Coincidence? :)
  • SwimFan1981
    Options
    Coincidence?

I've eaten meat for over 60 years and have perfect blood work and blood sugar too. Have no idea if I look younger than my peers. Also I seldom get sick, can't even remember when I last had a cold or flu. My only health problems, other than being overweight, are bad joints and I credit that to overuse when younger. Coincidence? :)

I'm not overweight...coincidence? :wink:
  • shlevon
    shlevon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Coincidence?

It's great that vegetarianism/veganism is working for you, but the idea that your n=1 anecdote is somehow a compelling argument in and of itself is fairly preposterous.

The vegetarianism/vegan thing is interesting, from a research standpoint. What seems to consistently show up is a benefit to cardiovascular disease risk. However, overall mortality is a little stranger. It seems to offer either weak protection (i.e. vegetarians live marginally longer than nonvegetarians) or no protection at all, overall. This would translate to mean something like you'll be less likely to die of cardiovascular disease, but more likely to die of other stuff (e.g. certain cancers). If you actually wind up living longer, it won't be that significant (relative to you having included animal products), on average.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    but eating meat is delicious
  • galenofedgewood
    galenofedgewood Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Meh, while I could probably live vegetarian, I wouldn't want to. I enjoy the taste of meat too much (not too shocking coming from a Texan). Besides, in my mind, if about half of my teeth are designed to cut, rip, and or tear meat, and my ancestors ate meat as well, then I'm not going to change it up too much.

Besides, I can't stand beans in chili. Fine in a burrito, but there are no beans in chili. And I love me some chili...
  • SwimFan1981
    Options
    Coincidence?

It's great that vegetarianism/veganism is working for you, but the idea that your n=1 anecdote is somehow a compelling argument in and of itself is fairly preposterous.

The vegetarianism/vegan thing is interesting, from a research standpoint. What seems to consistently show up is a benefit to cardiovascular disease risk. However, overall mortality is a little stranger. It seems to offer either weak protection (i.e. vegetarians live marginally longer than nonvegetarians) or no protection at all, overall. This would translate to mean something like you'll be less likely to die of cardiovascular disease, but more likely to die of other stuff (e.g. cancers). If you actually wind up living longer, it won't be that significant (relative to you having included animal products).

My post was in response to the "all vegetarians are lacking in vitamin/mineral/protein. Now THAT is a preposterous post.
    My post is merely stating medical facts about myself, nothing more, nothing less.
    Can I ask where you found research to suggest or back up the notion that vegetarians/vegans are more likely to die of cancer?
  • SwimFan1981
    Options
    Meh, while I could probably live vegetarian, I wouldn't want to. I enjoy the taste of meat too much (not too shocking coming from a Texan). Besides, in my mind, if about half of my teeth are designed to cut, rip, and or tear meat, and my ancestors ate meat as well, then I'm not going to change it up too much.

Besides, I can't stand beans in chili. Fine in a burrito, but there are no beans in chili. And I love me some chili...

The apes (gorillas, chimpanzees, monkeys, and so on) also possess canine teeth. They are all vegetarians. Some chimps have been observed eating insects, but they do not need canine teeth to tear apart insects. Panda bears have more canine teeth than humans, yet are exclusively vegetarian, eating bamboo.

However, even surrendering to the argument that "humans are, by nature omnivorous", the point still remains that we humans do not need to eat meat. Unlike animals, we can rise above our animal natures; after all, society depends on the fact that we must transcend our lower natures! Just read William Golding's The Lord of the Flies to learn how the thin veneer of civilisation collapses when we fail to do so.

But if you enjoy eating meat then more power to you :drinker: