• stacey2022
    stacey2022 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If Bacon was a vegetable, I could easily become a vegetarian!! hehe

Bacontarian!! ;)
  • shlevon
    shlevon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for most of my life (turned vegan recently). I have regular blood work done and I am not deficient in ANYTHING! My blood pressure is great, blood sugar also. I also look a hell of a lot younger than my friends who are the same age as me (32). I have never been very ill and have never had the flu.
    Coincidence?

I've eaten meat for over 60 years and have perfect blood work and blood sugar too. Have no idea if I look younger than my peers. Also I seldom get sick, can't even remember when I last had a cold or flu. My only health problems, other than being overweight, are bad joints and I credit that to overuse when younger. Coincidence? :)

I'm not overweight...coincidence? :wink:

It's great that vegetarianism/veganism is working for you, but the idea that your n=1 anecdote is somehow a compelling argument in and of itself is fairly preposterous.

The vegetarianism/vegan thing is interesting, from a research standpoint. What seems to consistently show up is a benefit to cardiovascular disease risk. However, overall mortality is a little stranger. It seems to offer either weak protection (i.e. vegetarians live marginally longer than nonvegetarians) or no protection at all, overall. This would translate to mean something like you'll be less likely to die of cardiovascular disease, but more likely to die of other stuff (e.g. cancers). If you actually wind up living longer, it won't be that significant (relative to you having included animal products).

My post was in response to the "all vegetarians are lacking in vitamin/mineral/protein. Now THAT is a preposterous post.
    My post is merely stating medical facts about myself, nothing more, nothing less.
    Can I ask where you found research to suggest or back up the notion that vegetarians/vegans are more likely to die of cancer?

Don't quote me on that, it's just one of the ideas tossed out to explain a potential discrepancy between cardiovascular mortality and all-cause mortality that's been seen in some of the research. I think all that can be said for sure is that you're less likely to die of cardiovascular disease, but benefits to dying from any cause seem less certain. If vegetarians die less of heart disease but aren't living longer, on average, this would imply something else is killing them off, basically.

edit:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/70/3/516s.full.pdf

It's possible I haven't seen the latest research in this area, however, as the meta-analysis above seems to show reduction in all-cause mortality that scales pretty directly with reduction in mortality from heart disease.
  • bdur76
    bdur76 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Eh, I'd rather eat meat!

Glad to hear people are saving more meat for me though! :wink:
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for most of my life (turned vegan recently). I have regular blood work done and I am not deficient in ANYTHING! My blood pressure is great, blood sugar also. I also look a hell of a lot younger than my friends who are the same age as me (32). I have never been very ill and have never had the flu.
    Coincidence?

I've eaten meat for over 60 years and have perfect blood work and blood sugar too. Have no idea if I look younger than my peers. Also I seldom get sick, can't even remember when I last had a cold or flu. My only health problems, other than being overweight, are bad joints and I credit that to overuse when younger. Coincidence? :)

It's great that vegetarianism/veganism is working for you, but the idea that your n=1 anecdote is somehow a compelling argument in and of itself is fairly preposterous.

The vegetarianism/vegan thing is interesting, from a research standpoint. What seems to consistently show up is a benefit to cardiovascular disease risk. However, overall mortality is a little stranger. It seems to offer either weak protection (i.e. vegetarians live marginally longer than nonvegetarians) or no protection at all, overall. This would translate to mean something like you'll be less likely to die of cardiovascular disease, but more likely to die of other stuff (e.g. cancers). If you actually wind up living longer, it won't be that significant (relative to you having included animal products).

My post was in response to the "all vegetarians are lacking in vitamin/mineral/protein. Now THAT is a preposterous post.
    My post is merely stating medical facts about myself, nothing more, nothing less.
    Can I ask where you found research to suggest or back up the notion that vegetarians/vegans are more likely to die of cancer?

Don't quote me on that, it's just one of the ideas tossed out to explain a potential discrepancy between cardiovascular mortality and all-cause mortality that's been seen in some of the research. I think all that can be said for sure is that you're less likely to die of cardiovascular disease, but benefits to dying from any cause seem less certain. If vegetarians die less of heart disease but aren't living longer, on average, this would imply something else is killing them off, basically.

edit:

It's possible I haven't seen the latest research in this area, however, as the meta-analysis above seems to show reduction in all-cause mortality that scales pretty directly with reduction in mortality from heart disease.

You have just edited your original post....

There are a lot of risk factors to cancer that are beyond anyones control (environmental for example) we all have to die of something, i'd just rather not have my arteries clogged up with ****e...
  • SwimFan1981
    Options
    Eh, I'd rather eat meat!

Glad to hear people are saving more meat for me though! :wink:

You are most welcome to my share :laugh:
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm not religious but I have to question a Christian vegetarian approach based on the following passage:

Acts 10: Peters vision
    9.On the next day, as they went on their journey, and drew near unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:

10And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,

11And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet held at the four corners, and let down to the earth:

12In which were all manner of four-footed beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.

13And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

14But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten anything that is common or unclean.

15And the voice spoke unto him again the second time, What God has cleansed, that call not common.

16This was done three times: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.
  • shlevon
    shlevon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Coincidence?

edit:

There are a lot of risk factors to cancer that are beyond anyones control (environmental for example) we all have to die of something, i'd just rather not have my arteries clogged up with ****e...

Maybe, but you can probably logic this out further and ask what, particularly, about vegetarian diets seem to confer this benefit. For example white meat and fish intake has actually been linked to DECREASED mortality (versus something like red meat). This makes it a much harder argument that poultry and fish are a detriment to health, or the necessity of going vegetarian for health purposes.

One could rightfully ask if a Cordain-style Paleo diet low in saturated fat, whose protein sources are largely poultry and fish, and whose calories come predominantly from fresh vegetables, fruits, and nuts would confer comparable benefits to mortality. This is just an example (not exactly a paleo guy myself), but I think it's worth pointing out that the issue isn't as simple as meat vs. no meat in terms of health benefits and risks.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Do we really need another one of these threads? They never end well...

deadhorse_zps5987c866.jpg
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    GC2.jpg
  • SwimFan1981
    Options
    Coincidence?

edit:

Maybe, but you can probably logic this out further and ask what, particularly, about vegetarian diets seem to confer this benefit. For example white meat and fish intake has actually been linked to DECREASED mortality (versus something like red meat). This makes it a much harder argument that poultry and fish are a detriment to health, or the necessity of going vegetarian for health purposes.

One could rightfully ask if a Cordain-style Paleo diet low in saturated fat, whose protein sources are largely poultry and fish, and whose calories come predominantly from fresh vegetables, fruits, and nuts would confer comparable benefits to mortality. This is just an example (not exactly a paleo guy myself), but I think it's worth pointing out that the issue isn't as simple as meat vs. no meat in terms of health benefits and risks.

It depends on the type of fish/meat and how it was raised. For example, the farming of salmon along with other fish and the high mercury levels found in certain fish. I live in Taiwan, they are incredibly healthy (apart from the incessant smoking) and most of them do not eat red meat. They mainly eat fish, without researching in to the fish farming methods of Taiwan I couldn't specify whether they overly farm their fish like they do in the west.
    Anyhow, I feel healthy, look healthy and have never been ill. I'd like to think that it is down to my healthy and balanced diet, it might also have something to do with genetics and longevity in my family. My grandmother recently passed away at 91 and she didn't eat red meat.
    There are always going to be people for and against each and ever lifestyle choice that we make (specifically on MFP) my friends in real life are an open minded bunch. I love my lifestyle, I feel happy and content. Which, at the end of the day, is all that matters.
    Anyway, exercise time for me, I'm off to climb Yangmingshan mountain today, cool eh :bigsmile:
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    "Live Longer?"

You know what's cool about eating meat? You live longer than anything you have just eaten.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Do we really need another one of these threads? They never end well...

deadhorse_zps5987c866.jpg

Or eat it already
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    Okay - if the canine is proof that we are designed to eat meat. Go out in the woods today - catch yourself a deer with your bare hands and gnaw on it raw. Humans are only opportunistic meat eaters. In the beginning we relied on the leftovers.

Or go out in the woods, grab some berries and gnaw on those. Yep - that is actually possible... how were we designed?

Because that is what man has been doing since day one...gnawing on live deer. Come on, that is not even a reaslitic analogy. We hunted with sticks and rocks and cooked the meat over fire. We have been hunters and gatherers since walking the planet. You are really trying to argue evolution? Then what is the canine for, decoration? :noway:

What about adaptation? I don't think the hunter/gatherers spent 8 hours a day sitting behind a computer, drove home and then sat in front of a TV until they went to bed. I don't live like they do, so I sure don't need to eat like they did!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    Yeah this is a pretty funny one! Pretty funny gif I mean.

About the topic though, I think humans are amazing creatures, we can be carnivores , vegetarians and omnivores. This ability to adapt is probably why we are still around and living in a variety of different environments around the world. Heath wise all the different eating styles can be healthy or unhealthy which is why it's a hard topic to research. There are too many variables.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    This is funny. There are studies and stuff going around about people in Okinawa living the longest, etc. And their diet isn't all veggies. There is quite a bit of fish and meat in there too.

A lot of their pork dishes are amazing! *sighs*
  • Jennaissance
    Options
    This is funny. There are studies and stuff going around about people in Okinawa living the longest, etc. And their diet isn't all veggies. There is quite a bit of fish and meat in there too.

Eat only until 80% full, pay attention to a macrobiotic diet. That's the model for that. There's limited meat and practically no diary. Whole grains, seasonal produce, sea vegetables.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

or Goya Chanpuru!
  • michcor
    michcor Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    As a vegitarian how to you get 30-40% of calories of protien? Pm

I don't get 30-40% of my calories from protein. That would be very unhealthy and it would overwork my kidneys. Standard plant foods provide all the protein I need in just the right proportions, usually between 6-15%. Human breast milk is only 5%-8% protein and that's for a growing baby, when protein needs are high. Too many of us believe what we see on TV and hear from the meat industry when it comes to protein requirements.

Thats your opinion. Most people get on just fine having 40% protein in their diet. Its not "very unhealthy" at all. How many supplements do you take because you're a vegetarian btw?

I'm vegan, eat a healthy diet, take no supplements, and just had lab work done 2 weeks ago. Very healthy!
    However, my meat eating husband takes several supplements :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 20 years. I've seen lots, and lots, and lots of people come and go. After about 18 years I developed a B12 deficiency. Though I would love to pat myself on the back for my choices, I don't believe that there is any health advantage to being vegetarian over a balanced diet of less-processed, more whole foods. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who didn't have a strong ethical/moral viewpoint.

Today there are many more available options for vegetarians at supermarkets, restaurants, even people's houses- but there is no denying that it occasionally makes for an awkward or complicated meal, and you have to be smart and proactive about your nutrition- whereas people with unrestricted diets don't have to think about it as much.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Eat only until 80% full, pay attention to a macrobiotic diet. That's the model for that. There's limited meat and practically no diary. Whole grains, seasonal produce, sea vegetables.

Really? That's not how I remember it..lol. Have you been to Okinawa or Japan? They have dairy and they enjoy their meat dishes quite thoroughly. And there is a lot of it..lmao.