Diet Sodas- Is It Affecting My Weight Loss?

Options

Replies

• laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different. I gave up diet pepis and lost 6 pounds that week. I'm pretty sure it was water, I believe for ME the soda was making me retain water.. Give it a try, what have you got to lose, but weight!
  • HeidibooJB
    HeidibooJB Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I used to drink diet soda all the time, and found I was getting stomach problems. I have recently discovered Zevia soda, which is sweetened with stevia, and it's a great alternative that is calorie free and doesn't upset my stomach.
  • njsousa
    njsousa Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm a big water drinker but I do like to occasionally have a Diet 7UP or Diet A&W Rootbeer - and it hasn't affected my weight loss - I think everything in moderation is key here to.
  • arraby01
    arraby01 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I seriously am allergic to aspartame ! I was drinking diet sodas and noticed major stomach problems. Once I stopped the diet drinks I was fine. I believe everyone's body chemistry is different . What's good for one is not for another .
  • DanielleHinkle24
    DanielleHinkle24 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I too was a diet soda lover!! What I realized, though, is that even though it is diet it still greatly affected my cravings for sweet and sugary things. I only learned this by completely eliminating sugar (real and artifical) from my diet for 30 days. Diet soda plays with my mood, my cravings, and my body's natural metabolism. Don't get me wrong - I LOVE SODA - but to me, I feel so much better without it, I gave it up. Now that I don't drink it - I don't crave it - at all. I do continue to drink coffee - a little more than I should.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,543 Member
    Options
    If you can watch he documentary called Hungry for change.....you will learn a lot.
    You will learn what they want you to learn. Biased documentaries (supporting either side) will edit and cut want they want you to see.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Indeed; and having watched a good few, I find it incredibly rare that unbiased information is presented in such a way.
    Which makes it irksome to watch as I KNOW they are trying to manipulate me through an easy medium.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I seriously am allergic to aspartame ! I was drinking diet sodas and noticed major stomach problems. Once I stopped the diet drinks I was fine. I believe everyone's body chemistry is different . What's good for one is not for another .

There's a big difference between being allergic to something and having an intolerance to something.
  • Mrowww
    Mrowww Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Watch the documentary on Netflix "Hungry for Change"
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Watch the documentary on Netflix "Hungry for Change"
    Indeed; and having watched a good few, I find it incredibly rare that unbiased information is presented in such a way.
    Which makes it irksome to watch as I KNOW they are trying to manipulate me through an easy medium.

Read some real research, look for more research. Make up your own mind. Much better use of an hour or whatever, to my mind.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Google this "aspartame converts to formaldehyde"

Methanol is a digestive byproduct of aspartame and methanol converts to formaldehyde due to a liver enzyme. Formaldehyde converts to formic acid which the body disposes of just fine.

Formaldehyde is produced by the body without aspartame already, in quantities much larger than you'd get from drinking a diet soda, and it's not anything to be concerned about despite it sounding scary.

^^^ This. Go with science, not bro or ho science.
  • MUMommy
    MUMommy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is evil! I quit cold turkey September 12th. I am down 40 pounds since then. And I feel that not drinking Diet coke is a huge part of my success! I drank as much if not more than you daily. The sodium alone is craziness! Good luck to you!
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas aren't goo I am afraid and as soon as you stop them you should see and feel a difference. It's gonna be hard at first but you ll get use to water :) I did !!
    But do you have any evidence behind that.
    I did see a difference when I stopped drinking them - I found I was hungrier more of the time.

So I went back to drinking a drink that was 99% water - namely a diet soda :).

As for the 'high sodium'. If we're talking 40 mg - that's MILI grams. That means forty THOUSANDTHS of a gram.
    Really not a lot.

That's 40 miligrams per 8 ounces, not per bottle. So in a 20 oz bottle, that's actually 100 miligrams. The MAXIMUM recommended sodium for an adult is only 2,300 miligrams. Almost everything we eat naturally has sodium in it - let's not even get into processed food! - so, personally, I tend to avoid getting it through foods or beverages that have zero nutritional value. Who want's to retain water, lol?
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Diet Soda is not good for you! It is full of chemicals! Also it can make you gain weight.
  • gretah
    gretah Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I lost 19lbs when I made no change except stopped drinking Diet sodas. I was actually less active because of some arthritis issues and eating may have been the worst I had been in years. The loss just from cutting out the sodas gave me the jump start I needed to make some changes in my diet. Everyone is right that people are different but I have seen many people make a lot of progress by cutting out the carbonated beverages. Give it a try. What have you got to lose except weight!:happy:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Diet soda is evil! I quit cold turkey September 12th. I am down 40 pounds since then. And I feel that not drinking Diet coke is a huge part of my success! I drank as much if not more than you daily. The sodium alone is craziness! Good luck to you!
    So just quitting diet soda caused a 40lbs loss? Weird. Hard to understand how 40lbs gets lost from a drink that has zero calories and you need a calorie deficit to literally lose any body mass weight. And the sodium is less per can than many foods.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I lost 19lbs when I made no change except stopped drinking Diet sodas. I was actually less active because of some arthritis issues and eating may have been the worst I had been in years. The loss just from cutting out the sodas gave me the jump start I needed to make some changes in my diet. Everyone is right that people are different but I have seen many people make a lot of progress by cutting out the carbonated beverages. Give it a try. What have you got to lose except weight!:happy:
    Really no change in diet? Just cut out diet soda and 19lbs went away? :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I just wouldn't drink any of that stuff. What good does it do you? It only hurts you.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    That's 40 miligrams per 8 ounces, not per bottle. So in a 20 oz bottle, that's actually 100 miligrams. The MAXIMUM recommended sodium for an adult is only 2,300 miligrams. Almost everything we eat naturally has sodium in it - let's not even get into processed food! - so, personally, I tend to avoid getting it through foods or beverages that have zero nutritional value. Who want's to retain water, lol?
    Water retention is needed for muscle repair. I want to retain water.

IDEA Fitness member
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I am not sure that it will affect your weight loss on the long term if you can overcome the related appetite enhancement effect. In the past year or so, I have drank them consistently and lost 120 lbs. However, I do recognize that they are not the best for our health. One only retains water for so long. Eventually, the body WILL get rid of it... However, other side effects warrant us to seriously consider dropping them from our diet-- at least in large quantities.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!