500 calories burned a day?? Really???

Options

Replies

• hilldiggity
    hilldiggity Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I just spoke with my health coach yesterday and she says as a rule of thumb to eat back half your calories because you should never NET below 1200.

I have been netting under 1200 because I'm just not hungry and I don't like the idea of eating fatty foods to make up the difference. I don't want to get used to them, then have to stop! lol Maybe a protein shake, but that won't make up for, say, a 500 calorie deficit. This is the first week I've had such large deficits and I'm worried what will show up on the scale and what it's doing to the inside of my body.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I do it using the Insanity dvds :)
  • crystalfisher89
    crystalfisher89 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I usually go to the gym 5 days a week and it's always after work. Unless I have a super busy week, then I make time in the early morning with pilates or something. I regularly burn 600-800 calories each day I workout. Somedays I'll eat back my calories and other days I don't. It's depends on how hungry I am that day. I wear a Heart Rate Monitor that counts the calories I burn and usually to set myself up for a high burn I'll run a mile or two and then move to abs/elliptical/bike. Because my heart is flying and my core temp is much higher, then I burn more calories than normally doing these other exercises. It's also great for fat burning. Somedays I run 5-6 miles too someday and just leave it at that with stretching. That kills a good amount of calories as well.

I guess what I am trying to say is you have to be willing to set aside an hour or hour and a half of your day to get a high burn as such, but if you want it, you can do it!
  • sjanes9
    sjanes9 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Get a bicycle and ride it a lot. I ride about 9 hours a week. Usually burn 600 to a 1000 on my rides depending on the length and intensity level. My average heart rate is usually around 140-150 for more than an hour. This is all according to my Garmin Edge 500.
  • caffeinated_frog
    caffeinated_frog Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Oh, yeah. Just from running around at work burns 1700 a day, and that's only for 8 hours. Normal activity after and before work adds another 1000, and if I work out in addition to that I can hit 3200+ for the day. Of course, on days when I don't work I really have to move it more, but 500 I can get from walking the dog at a very rapid pace for an hour.
  • bryannakay
    bryannakay Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    500 calories a day, EASY. It depends on the exercise you do, I suppose.
    I run at least 4 miles, 4 days/ week. Further runs, obviously burn more. Usually at least 500 calories burned. The other 2 days I bike, I usually burn 300 ish calories.

I track my walking for my daily life, because i walk about 3 miles for work a day. That's usually at least 100 ish calories.
    I don't track what I burn AT work, which I bet could be close to 200-400 calories. I have a very active and physically demanding job.

I don't usually eat all my calories back. Sometimes it depends on the workout and the day. If I do a really long run, I usually seek out extra food that day. I don't try to eat the calories back, just to eat the goal. I still try to be sensible.

What do you do for exercise???

Right now I am doing step class on Mondays which I can easily burn 550 calories....other days I am mostly doing DVDs like CHAlean and TaeBo...most of these I am burning 350 calories at the most. But, Chalean is mostly weight training and trying to tone the body. I have done Insanity before but did it the entire WRONG way...I was only eating 1200 calories and NOT eating the calories that I burned. I was tired, cranky, hungry, and very irritated the whole time. I gained weight in fact. So, that is why I was wondering about 500 calories a day workouts. I have started to run a bit....and when I say start, I mean start....20 minutes at a very slow pace. I am in the mind set right now that I HATE running but, the other day, I didn't hate it as much and went longer than normal. I know that it is something I need to work at.

I haven't done Zumba but obviously need to. I think the main thing is consistency because that is what my life lacks....I am a full time teacher and also work as a waitress at a bowling alley 2 to 3 nights a week. So, going to bed at midnight and getting up at 5 is something that I haven't been able to train myself to do...so, there are MANY things I need to work on!!!
  • bryannakay
    bryannakay Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I am feeing SO empowered from your answers and realize that there is SO much more I can be doing!!!! I have lost 50 pounds prior to MFP but, it was just because I changed my diet and didn't drink pop.

I was burnt out from Insanity and burning 500+ calories because I was so hungry all the time and felt like I couldn't go over my 1200 calories per day....I guess eating when you are hungry seems logical (as long as it is smart). I am going to do more planning as well. With working teaching 40 hours a week plus waitressing 15 more in a week, I need to plan for a good burn...so, again, thank you everyone for the motivation. I am going to get my body figured out someday in order to keep these pounds moving.
  • nancywho
    Options
    My daughter goes on her elliptical for a couple hours and burns that much watching a video while she is working out. She has lost over 125 lb. in a little over a year with that and dieting. She has done Zumba and beach body and now doing Bob Harper's exercise video. She tries to hold her calories at 1200 a day and eats one meal, the rest is protein shake or meal bar.
    I, on the other hand, have a very difficult time staying at 1500 calories or less. I don't do the elliptical, can't figure it out and my knees can't take it so I only exercise twice a week in senior fitness. Waitressing you are on your feet constantly, outch! Keep going, a little at a time is the best way to lose it.
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Options
    I bought an HRM and learned that the barre I had been doing everyday only burned 175-300 calories -- depending on intensity. I do all DVD's and XBox 360. I realized if I wanted to lose, I'd need to add cardio. If I do an hour of a higher intensity workout, I burn over 400 -- like 450 or so. I just keep moving around for another 5 or 10 minutes to get it up to 500 cals. Zumba high intensity, Core Rhythms, and other similar will put you up that high.

Now, I did a 15 minute Turbo Fire HIIT, and that burned 143 cals. My heart rate stayed up in the aerobic range for 10 minutes afterward, so you could start out with a HIIT and then do something else afterward to keep burning cals. I don't burn 500 cals every day though. I alternate cardio with strength, and I prefer to use my own body weight and very light weights for strength right now.
  • Lizzydedr
    Options
    I do Zumba a couple of times a week and you can really burn that many calories in an hour long class....at times even more....I have a polar watch and it keeps track of it.
  • c2h5m8h6
    c2h5m8h6 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am looking for some feedback from people who are burning 500 calories working out everyday (or even used to but don't anymore)....is this realistic? What does your normal day look like (go to work at this time, eat this time, workout at this time etc....)? Do you eat more on days where you burn 500 calories? Help! :) Thank you!
    Ive burned over 500kcal for the past 3 days I get up do a 20 min session of jillian michaels 30 day shed through out the day be do betweek 45mins and 2hour walking and today ive also done 15 mins on my exercise bike im a stay at home mum so have plenty of time to exercise :D
    and yes i do eat more when i exercise i always eat most of my calories back
    hope this helps xx
    feel free to add me xx
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Doing the Insanity workouts I used to burn 500-600.
  • pichiPurinsesu
    pichiPurinsesu Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    by just going for a walk with my kids (double buggy) and doing 30 day shred i burn around 500-550 calories, :) i seem to have gotten stuck on a weigh though - don't seem to be shifting any more despite watching my calories etc... >.<

i have a FT4 HRM
  • MyProgressISYour1Proof
    Options
    I am looking for some feedback from people who are burning 500 calories working out everyday (or even used to but don't anymore)....is this realistic? What does your normal day look like (go to work at this time, eat this time, workout at this time etc....)? Do you eat more on days where you burn 500 calories? Help! :) Thank you!

I always burn between 350 and 500 calories a day from my workouts. I do eat back my calories but of course with healthy choices.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    500 really isn't that much.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I've done it before (usually on weekends when I can get a long run in or on days when I do weights in the morning then a run at night). Today I did almost 500 (494), it was leg day at the gym and I was there for an hour. I use my HRM to tell me how much I burn over the machines if anyone is wondering.

It changes sometimes but today for food I had half a Clif bar (4:45am) before my work out then a protein shake after so around 6:30am when I was getting ready to leave for work, then once I got to work and settled in I had half a bagel with peanut butter around 8am, I'll have a morning snack around 10am and then lunch around 1 or so (later than usual but my office is closing due to a nor'easter at noon so I'm waiting til I'm home) and then dinner around 6ish. Since I'm sure I'll be shoveling snow a lot I might have a snack between lunch and dinner.

When I work out, I have a little something before, then after, then a morning snack, lunch, mid afternoon snack then dinner.
  • NicholeElizabeth92
    NicholeElizabeth92 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i burn about 700 cals a day at the gym except wednesdays. i spend 30-45 minutes on the elipitical and burn between 400-700 cals. Then I run every other day after that. On thurdays I have a 45 min walk to work that burns cals on that day.
  • spidey11186
    spidey11186 Posts: 141 Member
    Options

I haven't looked to see what your exercise routine is, but according to the exercise machines I use in the gym, I have burned up to 800 calories in an hour's workout. I exercise pretty hardcore, and I push myself constantly. I feel more accomplished after a crazy burn like that. There are some workouts out there, (like Insanity, P90X, Cardio-Kickboxing gyms, etc), that claim that you burn up to 1,000 calories per 1 hour session... this may be true! It all depends on how much effort you put into it and how high your heart rate and how hard you're making your muscles work.

YES, I try to eat back at least 50% to 75% of all the calories I burned off (if not ALL of the calories I burned off)... 1) My body needs to recuperate from the torture I put it through haha... to fix itself, it needs the proper nutrients... MFP builds in a calorie deficit BEFORE my exercises. Therefore, even if I eat back all the calories I burned off, I'm still at the required deficit for weight loss!! and 2) I consider these extra calories as my treat to eat more!! I love food and I get to enjoy more of the tasty food I love (healthy food and maybe a tiny desert at the end of the day) when i have more caloric room. Hope this helps!
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I do, once or twice a week, and 350 on the other days.
    And I'm tiny. And I like a beer every night with dinner, so I work for it.

Yes, I do eat more those days, and also save some of it is for the weekend.

I can burn 500 in 2 hours of circuit training/calisthenics/bodyweight training (I don't have weights or a gym nearby).
    I don't do it all at once, but in 30-45 minute segments throughout the day.
    Again, I'm tiny, so a more normal size person would burn more in that time.

I create my deficit with exercise instead of food restriction.
    Once I reach my goal, I'll just do 350 every day (with one rest day always!)

Best of luck to you!
  • GMorrisUK
    GMorrisUK Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your current weight, age etc - as to how much calories you burn. I use a heart rate monitor and it helps in more accurate tracking of my burn. I notice that as my weight is dropping and I am becoming more fit - my calorie burn is less for the same duration and intensity of my workouts (runs in this case.) I dont try and run faster than I did in the beginning (maybe I should) but I have noticed that is has become easier. My heart rate does not peak so high and my average heart rate is lower. This means my calorie burn is less for the same exercise. So unless I start going for longer or with higher intensity (hills and faster if we are talking about running!) then my calories burnt will continue to decrease.