Discount for non-bratty kids

Options

Replies

• 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If your kid makes me look over at your table because of noise or for any other reason, you should be kicked out of said restaurant!

oh shut up. Should you be kicked out if I look over and you're unattractive or eating something I think is gross?
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'm all for this! If i didn't behave I got put in the car so I didn't bother other people. I don't want to go out for dinner to listen to someone kid throw a tantrum. As much as I love this idea, I will still always select a lounge so there won't be any kids
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    It's ridiculous imo.
    I have a beautiful 9 y/o brother with ODD, adhd, along with other issues and he simply can not control his emotions many times. It's beyond his control. As he's getting older, he has gotten a better hold of himself along with the help of his special education, doctors and therapists, but when he was younger and had outbursts at the grocery store, dr office, restaurant, many ppl would be total *kitten* about him. Never ever ever race to judge a child and say he/she is simply 'bratty'...there may be alot more going on.
    ...end rant ;)

What is ODD? Because I'm reading it as Older Dearest Daughter.

I think she is talking about oppositional defiance disorder.
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    if you don't like the restaurants policies, don't eat there. Nobody's forcing you to.

THIS and if you don't wanna be around kids, don't go anywhere they are. as in PUBLIC. Get over it. I have NO problem with the policy at all, but people complaining about kids basically existing. Don't you realize you were a kid? And don't give me that, oh well when I was a kid, I was perfect. BS. go hide under your rock and you won't have to worry about being around kids.
  • LisaD7526
    LisaD7526 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    While it was nice of the restaurant to do, I don't think it's necessary. Why should you be rewarded for doing something you should already be doing?? I don't think the prospect of a few bucks off their bill is going to make someone a more conscientious parent.

If your kids are a terror in restaurants, stay home till they are old or mature enough to eat out. Period. I have 3 kids. We go out every weekend to lunch with them, ages 6, 4 and 6 months. The older ones know if they act up, we leave. And we have done it, left some money on the table for our drinks and went home. That only had to happen once and they got the picture. If the baby cries, one of us takes her out of the restaurant, and switches off when the other is done eating if necessary. But we try to eat out while she is sleeping or in a good mood.

And, we try to go to kid friendly restaurants, not wine bars like in the article, I remember what it was like to be without kids and not wanting one screaming next to you at a fancy restaurant you are at for your birthday, anniversary, etc. I still remember having a couple next to us on our anniversary. They had a high chair pulled up to their romantic table for two, right next to our "romantic" table for two. That baby screamed and screamed. What a fun way to spend a anniversary and a ton of money..
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    It's ridiculous imo.
    I have a beautiful 9 y/o brother with ODD, adhd, along with other issues and he simply can not control his emotions many times. It's beyond his control. As he's getting older, he has gotten a better hold of himself along with the help of his special education, doctors and therapists, but when he was younger and had outbursts at the grocery store, dr office, restaurant, many ppl would be total *kitten* about him. Never ever ever race to judge a child and say he/she is simply 'bratty'...there may be alot more going on.
    ...end rant ;)

What is ODD? Because I'm reading it as Older Dearest Daughter.

I think she is talking about oppositional defiance disorder.

Thanks! Too many overlapping acronyms sometimes.
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I think it's great. In this day of satisfying the children and them having zero respect for their parents or other authoritative figures, it's rare to see a well behaved kid. The discount was only $2 per kid which is the cost of a soda at some places so not much of a discount, but still... It's encouraging. I hope those of you who don't have kids (like myself) see that as motivation to raise respectful, calm, well-mannered kids. I planned to without the discount!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Where bad behavior in children and even now adults abounds, I applaud the measure. There needs to be some motivation for good behavior and accountability for bad behavior. Who knows, a motivated parent my keep their kid out of jail in the future.

BTW - Mine are 35, 25, 22, and 9 - I have a little experience and one with ADHD.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    A parent who's trying to handle a child with autism or ADHD (etc) is one thing, but I see way too many parents outright neglecting their children in public. My kids are well behaved in public, and that's due to years of loving discipline. Sounds like a good policy to me.

And yes, you never know a person or family's story, so as always treating people with kindness and understanding is paramount.
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I think they would probably take into account if a child has a medical condition that makes them be loud. Other than that I'm all for it and wish more places would do it. Maybe it would encourage more parents to actually care about how their offspring is affecting other peoples dining experience.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    If your kid makes me look over at your table because of noise or for any other reason, you should be kicked out of said restaurant!
    As a parent......

...I absolutely agree. Every time my child acts up in public, either my husband or I will take him outside/to the bathroom to reprimand him and wait til he calms down. Other patrons shouldn't suffer because my child is throwing a tantrum.

That being said, if someone is annoyed by my child's laughter, they can kindly eff off.

I like the idea.

I agree. I never had to take my kids away from anything, they've always been good. When I get stares anywhere for them laughing or something, that gets me upset. They control volume as far as that goes for the most part, but they do not have tantrums or scream and yell in public.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    JFC. Pretty soon, people are just going to stop doing kind things because someone out there is going to have a problem with it. Can't reward nice behavior because then you're cheating kids who can't control their behavior due to issues unknown to the rest of us? Give me a break! I don't want to sound insensitive to families with children with conditions out of their control, but if your kid can't act appropriately in a restaurant, don't take them to a restaurant, or remove them when they start to act like an a-hole, regardless of the reason.

My 3 year old is generally a joy to be around, but if she's tired, she can be a real PITA. If we're at a restaurant and she's tired and starts acting up, I don't just sit there and subject everyone else to her antics just because she's tired and can't control herself. Nor do I expect some kind of reward for her bad behavior or expect others to miss out on a perk because "it's not fair".

Stop trying to treat kids the same. They're not the same. Kids are growing up to be entitled a-holes because instead of the winning team getting a trophy, everyone gets one for trying. I get it. I feel like my kid is a winner even if she didn't do the best at something. But treating everything she does like it's historic and amazing isn't going to make her a secure, confident adult. It'll make her an entitled, narcissist. Maybe what I'm talking about seems unrelated to you, but seriously, when you say "well, what about the kids with autism or tourrettes, etc." you're going to have other parents saying "well what about my poor Timmy who just doesn't like to sit still". If you have a kid with an underlying condition that can result in bad behavior, and you take them out, and they're well behaved for THEM (but not necessarily the rest of the world) then it's your job as a parent to praise their behavior and encourage it.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I think they would probably take into account if a child has a medical condition that makes them be loud. Other than that I'm all for it and wish more places would do it. Maybe it would encourage more parents to actually care about how their offspring is affecting other peoples dining experience.

Yeah, but if you know your kid will misbehave, medical condition or not, find a sitter or something. That's not fair to other people. Not fair to my kids to listen to other kids being bratty while they're behaving having their meals interrupted.
  • vhines5
    vhines5 Posts: 63 Member
    Options

I sat next to two teenage girls (at least 15) yesterday at a restaurant singing Taylor Swift songs the whole time they were there. Can I kick them out too?

I know this will sound bad but teenagers misbehaving at a restaurant is WAY worst than toddlers. Little kids I can understand because they are learning how to control their emotions, but teens and preteens? When my kids (6 & 4) misbehave all we have to ask is; Do you want to go to the bathroom? Yeah, they know what happens if we have to remove them from a public place… No tv, no DS, no leapfrog, etc…

OMG! I so did that to my kid. And you're right, he totally knew what it really meant. :)
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    As a parent who is raising a two year old to be a polite and productive member of society... or at least trying my damnedest to... I do like this measure, because there are way more instances where resturants will kick families out or place signs that say no children allowed.... And I totally get the "if you don't like the policies then don't patron the establishment"... I don't. But this instance is more encouraging to me rather than stifling and stigmatizing.
  • JanineHarrison
    JanineHarrison Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It is not like they are charging parents more if they have children with special needs or children who misbehave or make a noise. Get over it. People need to spend more time appreciating the things they do have and less time worrying about what someone else is getting.
  • njean888
    njean888 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I can care less about a discount for well behaved children. But the term "well behaved child" is a crock of ****! All of you perfect parents how very lucky you are to have "well behaved children". Clearly you have never walked in the shoes of a parent with a child with autism.
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options

That. My sister is a waitress and she says some people don't even try to get their kids to behave. Said she's seen parents let their kids run around (dangerous), throw things and scream and not even say a word about it. Maybe this is incentive for those parents to actually parent. I like it.
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I thought it was really sweet. We've been given free kid’s meal coupons to Applebee's before because our daughter was well behaved. And at other restaurants they have not charged us for our daughter’s meal. I think it's important to reinforce positive behavior. I'm glad for them.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    If this was indeed a one-time occurrence by an employee to show gratitude to parents with well-behaved children, then that is perfectly fine. Restaurants give perks and added items all the time to reward good customers and keep them coming back.

However, if this were to be a standard practice for ALL patrons, then the restaurant would start losing money and have to increase prices to make up for the discounts. Then, those without children, or those with special needs children, etc, would then be penalized by having to pay higher prices.

I have a son with severe Aspergers, (high functioning autism) He has made great progress over the years and we can now take him to any restaurant or public place without worrying, but when he was younger and could easily become overwhelmed by noises, crowds, and surrounding environments, but we did not take him to high priced sit-down restaurants. There were a couple of years when I couldn't take him to the grocery store by myself, because if he had a meltdown, or ran off, I couldn't chase him down. After a horrible experience in Walmart and a lady trying to get management to call CPS on me, I started putting off grocery trips til after hubby was home from work.
    There were some really bad years in there, where we had to leave in the middle of dinner or movies, shopping, etc because our son had lost control. But we LEFT and took care of our son. The only way for him to learn how to deal with being in public, was to take him in public. But again, we wouldn't take him to high priced restaurants, because people who are paying $200 for a nice dinner should not have to deal with my son's meltdowns. And we definitely would not have had him at a table with glassware!

Before we became parents to a special needs child, we were the typical people who gave dirty looks to 'bratty' kids and their parents who apparently did not have the excellent parenting skills that we had. Now, after eating a lot of humble pie, we try to give them the benefit of a doubt and consider that they may be dealing with something deeper than just misbehavior.

That said, no parent should allow any child to run rampant thru a place, wreaking havoc and disturbing other patrons. Deal with your children, and tend to their needs. It is called parenting. And it is not always easy.