Waitress fired for posting this online

Options

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    what has the waitress done to keep her job?

so if i'm stepping out on my girl, is she going to post that on her facebook page too? if i meeting with a prospective employer and considering leaving my job, will she put that on twitter? not sure what the US gov't has to do with it. no one is saying to prosecute her. but if i own the joint i don't employ people that embarrass my customers

I get your point, however there is a line to be drawn. Granted, the business I am in is much different than food service, but still, I don't want a customer who intentionally causes anguish to my staff members either.

Anguish? Please. I run a business, without my clients/customers I couldn't pay for my home and my bills. The waitress signed on to deal with good tippers and bad tippers when she took the job. I worked in the service industry while I was in University and no, it isn't easy but have a little perspective FFS! Do your job badly - you get fired, represent the company badly you get fired. End of.

ETA: It is TOTALLY up to the pastor whether they want to tip or not. Perhaps the waitress had a bad attitude. Three sides to every story.

I wasn't talking about the lack of tipping. I was talking about the ****ty note written on there. Getting stiffed is nothing new to most people. Getting a written lecture based on God could piss some people off.
  • apg2302
    apg2302 Posts: 667
    Options
    I'm sure it's been posted on here already, but we have a completely different mentality in England.
    The only time I tip anyone is if I have been given exceptional service. Employers offering such low wages that tips are expected is a ridiculous way of operating a business. If I call a plumber out and get something repaired, I'm not going to give him a tip, just his rate and materials for doing his job. Why would I tip someone at a restaurant for doing their job satisfactorily?
  • crazytreelady
    crazytreelady Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Fired, yes... Only because she didn't black out that persons signature though....

Other than that, more power to her for posting that receipt.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    what has the waitress done to keep her job?

so if i'm stepping out on my girl, is she going to post that on her facebook page too? if i meeting with a prospective employer and considering leaving my job, will she put that on twitter? not sure what the US gov't has to do with it. no one is saying to prosecute her. but if i own the joint i don't employ people that embarrass my customers

I get your point, however there is a line to be drawn. Granted, the business I am in is much different than food service, but still, I don't want a customer who intentionally causes anguish to my staff members either.

Anguish? Please. I run a business, without my clients/customers I couldn't pay for my home and my bills. The waitress signed on to deal with good tippers and bad tippers when she took the job. I worked in the service industry while I was in University and no, it isn't easy but have a little perspective FFS! Do your job badly - you get fired, represent the company badly you get fired. End of.

I wasn't talking about the lack of tipping. I was talking about the ****ty note written on there. Getting stiffed is nothing new to most people. Getting a written lecture based on God could piss some people off.

But 'ANGUISH'??? I don't think that word means what you think it means.
  • ShreddedTweet
    Options
    I'm sure it's been posted on here already, but we have a completely different mentality in England.
    The only time I tip anyone is if I have been given exceptional service. Employers offering such low wages that tips are expected is a ridiculous way of operating a business. If I call a plumber out and get something repaired, I'm not going to give him a tip, just his rate and materials for doing his job. Why would I tip someone at a restaurant for doing their job satisfactorily?

Exactly the same here in Ireland, not everyone deserves a tip!
  • Diane_58
    Diane_58 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The person's name is clearly legible. It should have been blacked out. Whether he's right or wrong isn't the point, bottom line. The waitress clearly violated a privacy issue.
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It was in poor taste on both ends. As a Christian, the pastor's actions disgust and repulse me (wish I could come up with a stronger word). BUT it was probably in poor taste to post it online to a PUBLIC site-- it's not even like it was the waitress' private Facebook page, it was a public site...NOT the best idea.

But, wow...not tipping? Who cares what you drop in the offering basket?

Repugnant... that is a word that might be accurate. The pastors actions are repugnant.

The waitresses actions are also not conducive to keeping a job. If I tell people whats going on at my job I can get fired.
  • eddierdiaz
    eddierdiaz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just because it says 0 on the repiept doesnt mean that they didnt leave a cash tip. All I see is a picture and not the whole story, but leaving notes on the reciept is ok as far as being a smiley face which i typically see most often.
  • charovnitza
    Options
    I believe the pastor was saying she gives 10% to god (possibly by tithing?), however, pastors usually get free housing from their church. Watresses don't get that big perk, their income in the US depends on tips. And, this pastor doesn't seem to be "filled with Christian charity"...perhaps she should stay home and make a dinner of "Humble Pie" for herself!
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I think it should be LAW that everyone works in the service industry at sometime in their lives! The good pastor obviously never has. Maybe then he would appreciate what your average waitress/waiter does for such a low wage! However.... I don't agree that tipping is mandatory in your bill. My reason for that is I don't like the idea of management taking a cut or that I cannot choose to tip appropriate to the service I get. btw I work in the service industry .
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Posting the receipt is fine as long as you also remove all personal information regarding the person who left the receipt. I think it's unfortunate that it happens to be a pastor, because lots of people (regardless of faith, position, or parental status) are generous and lots of people (regardless of faith, position, or parental status) are dillholes.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

It's not a decision by employers, it is part of the US minimum wage standard.
  • ShreddedTweet
    Options

It's a disgrace is what it is, what they pay waitresses in the US is ridiculous and it's legal, it's endorsed by your government. We have a much better system when it comes to that. Sort it out, it'll make threads like this defunct and we won't have to read through 18 pages of this stuff.
  • apg2302
    apg2302 Posts: 667
    Options

It's a disgrace is what it is, what they pay waitresses in the US is ridiculous and it's legal, it's endorsed by your government. We have a much better system when it comes to that. Sort it out, it'll make threads like this defunct and we won't have to read through 18 pages of this stuff.

As we know though, that's far too much common sense! Lol

There should be a minimum wage based on national average cost to live a satisfactory lifestyle regardless of tips. All the tip based system does is leave people working their arsed off for little to no guarantee of even making it through the week, and fosters little to no reason for staff to go that extra mile and make something of themseleves in a service industry environment. I wonder what the turn over rate is for waiting staff in the US?
  • BrenWOW
    Options
    One more comment about this topic.....lol
    I was a waitress for years and for the most part, I loved it. I went over and above my job duties to make sure the customers were happy. It doesn't matter if the food is great, if service sucks, people will not come back. I made a lot of money and made a lot of friends with customers. I worked with some LAZY waitresses ; sometimes THEIR tables would tip me because they were no where to be found and I ended up doing everything for them. I also have not a left a tip several times. I know what it is to give great service and i expect that when I go out. That is your job. With the exception of a few jerks who wouldn't tip regardless if you were great or not, I never got stiffed, or lousy tips. So, who knows what kind of waitress she was? That pastor sounds like a jerk but there is always another side. The only reason I left waitressing was because of the bosses, not the customers.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    1NNR6qM.jpg
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    1NNR6qM.jpg

TL;DR but what I did read has lead me to be further convinced the waitress is in the wrong. If the name is recognizable, it shouldn't be posted online. End of story.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

As we know though, that's far too much common sense! Lol

There should be a minimum wage based on national average cost to live a satisfactory lifestyle regardless of tips. All the tip based system does is leave people working their arsed off for little to no guarantee of even making it through the week, and fosters little to no reason for staff to go that extra mile and make something of themseleves in a service industry environment. I wonder what the turn over rate is for waiting staff in the US?

I was told this system stays in place because waitresses make far more on tips then they would EVER make if they were paid minimum wage and the tipping system WASN'T enforced. So basically they LOVE the tips and how much cash they pull in, but they complain because they don't earn a decent wage. *smh*

The waitress trying to impress on me why the tipping system is good just convinced me it's even more retarded then I thought.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options

The way you regard tips is the correct way. It means "To Insure Prompt Service" and years ago the tips would be laid out BEFORE the service even began. Depending on how much you tipped that's the kind of service you got so big tipper = better service. If your service is horrible why should I feel obligated to tip you at all? Last night my husband and I were out at a bar/restaurant listening to a friend of ours who plays music and our waitress was horrific! The thing that I personally don't like about restaurants in the USA is the fact that the waitresses are so quick to give you the check. She came by asked if we needed anything else and we said that we were all set right now which to her meant: Bring me the check. Which she did. But we weren't done drinking so I was forced to go to the bar twice to get my drinks because 1) She left the check and we weren't finished and 2) She never came back. When she did my husband pointed out the fact that we clearly weren't done, were forced to go to the bar to get our drinks so why did you give us our check?

We travel to Mexico several times a year and in all the restaurants you NEVER get your check until you actually ask for it and that's the way it should be. Not only that but no matter where you are -- be it a really nice restaurant or some crap bar like Senior Frogs -- the attention to the customer is unbelievable. I realize that they make $5 a day and tips are what they rely on but still. Restaurants around here could learn a thing or two from them. If I want my check I will ask for it. Don't give it to me before hand because that means "GTFO" of here when I'm still going to be drinking alcohol and I might possibly order a dessert or some other food later on.

As for the original topic, I would be LIVID if I was the person who left that note on the receipt and saw it on line so yes, I do believe her firing was justified. Oh, and I hate it when there's an automatic gratuity added to the check. I never leave an additional tip when I see that.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    That pastor is a bloody idiot.

And I don't think the waitress should have been fired but she should have realised that you can't do stuff like that. I never put anything online when I work for a company. After, fair game, though I am still cautious, but not while you work there.