Has anyone lost weight WITHOUT reducing carbs?

Options
I'm just wondering if it is possible to lose weight without giving up carbs or restricting them . Without exercising like a maniac or becoming a body builder is it really possible to lose weight without going low carb? I'm coming off a low carb diet it helped me lose most of my weight. Since adding carbs back I have not lost anything. I just want to know if it's possible or do I just need more patience ?

Replies

• BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Eating to much of any thing will cause weight gain. protein, carbs, or fat. Carbs just have a bad rep for no reason in my eyes. Eat food you like and keep to your calories and macros.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    65lbs without restricting carbs. Heck, I lost like 40lbs eating over 200g a day. Now I try to stay under 200 at least & try to keep my macros more balanced. It doesn't always happen though, the balancing part.
  • morticiamom
    morticiamom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    As long as you're burning more than you're taking in, you'll lose weight, even if what you're taking in is Twinkies. What most people find, however is that protein, and complex carbohydrates keep them feeling full longer, with fewer calories. So many people, myself included, find themselves edging toward fewer simple carbohydrates simply because it's more satisfying.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    The only thing I restricted was Calories. I have not once cared about carbs, fats proteins, micros, macros, minis, salt, sugar, gluten or anything else. JUST CALORIES.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't restrict any food groups. So far so good. :)
  • funlilhun
    Options
    I say yes! I still eat carbs and keep losing weight. All I'm doing is staying under my allotted calories each day. Obviously, some carbs have many calories, so find the carbs you like to eat and eat small portions or find carbs that have less calories.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    yes today for example I've had : sugar in my coffee, spaghetti, and home fries (potatoes). I've lost 33 pounds so far ;)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Ravioli and garlic bread today, pizza last night, mac & cheese and a baked potato the day before... I don't limit my carbs. I aim for at least 110g of protein a day, but I don't restrict carbs.

Some might consider my exercise routine to be "like a maniac," some might not. I lift weights 3x a week and run 3-6 miles 3x a week.
  • eliseofthejungle
    eliseofthejungle Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    The only thing I restricted was Calories. I have not once cared about carbs, fats proteins, micros, macros, minis, salt, sugar, gluten or anything else. JUST CALORIES.

Me too. That's how I lost my first 40lbs and how I'm planing to lose the rest. :-)
  • rodeothedog
    rodeothedog Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have always just reduced my daily calories. My fitness said I should eat 1420 calories daily. I eat 1680 daily and seem to lose weight. Also I noticed my fat and sugar is usually above what I should eat. I would like to change that but one step at a time. My goal is to start working out more.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Btw I'm sorry if the post was confusing I'm technically not trying to lose I'm trying to maintain.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I haven't done anything but watch calories, don't pay attention to any specifics. I've lost 12 pounds and am now doing body recomp with nrol4w. I'm even beginning to see the smallest smidge of a six pack starting, very exciting since I've had two kids and have never been happy with my tum. I guess I do have a protein shake after lifting 3 days a week, that's the most I pay attention to macros.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    bump
  • paul7799
    paul7799 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I did not give them up and hit my goal.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Exactly this. I started measuring portions/ingredients and gradually brought the amounts down but I maintain a balance of everything.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My wife has lost over 40 lbs in the last 5 months and has not restricted carbs at all. She just reduced her calorie intake.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i was told by a couple doctors that i have pcos (ive also been told by a couple others that i dont so who the hell knows..) but theyve all suggested low carb for me to lose weight. i refuse to do it because i dont believe in limiting myself that much... ive just reduced my overall calories and the 45 lbs i lost was pretty much from september til may (got pregnant in june so havent lost since then). i didnt kill myself in the gym.. i did about 30 minutes of weight lifting at home, three days a week and did about an hour of cardio two days a week. i do keep an eye on carbs as part of my overall intake, but i dont stress if i go over.
  • alexisu96
    alexisu96 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Carbs have a bad rap. For weight loss what really counts is cals. I could eat low carb but still stuff my face with nuts and cheese. I will still gain weight. Since starting MFP , my carbs have gone down. This comes without trying if you are cutting sugar loaded processed foods ( which happen to carb loaded). I have limited bread at times, mainly cause if I eat a 400 cal. Salad, also eating a 200 cal roll makes for 600 cal meal!! Plus for me bread temps me with butter or olive oil. Now we are talking 700 cal meal!!

Tonite I made a thai curry and I will have a cup of rice. That is another thing. In the past i'd just fill my plate FULL of rice. Guessing 500 cals?? Now i measure a 200 calorie serving same thing with pasta.
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    yes
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I dont cut back carbs at all. I've lost over 60 lbs in 7 months. I lose about 10 inches a month cumulative. I'm happy with my progress so far and I have no intention of restricting carbs.