February Cycling Challenge

Options

Replies

• jlmoses91
    jlmoses91 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just saw this thread so ill add up what Ive done for the past week. February 2- 9 miles February 1st 13.36 miles.
  • Yahooliz
    Yahooliz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE to bicycle. It is one of my favorite activities on earth! With this being said you would think I would be a regular right? Afraid not. My beloved old friend (my beautiful green schwinn 5 speed bicycle which I rode avidly junior high through late twenties and have drug around the country through 6 moves) sits quietly in the corner of my garage dreaming of days when it was used and loved (like the velveteen rabbit.....see how silly I am about my bike). At some point in time I forgot this love for riding. Then a few years back we went on vacation to Hilton Head Island. Now I have never been a beach fan like my husband, but looking over the island literature and reading about 50 miles of bicycle paths had me foaming at the mouth with excitement. I rented a cruiser within hours of arriving and spent the next 3 days pedaling along enjoying the view, feeling the breeze, chinging the little bell, and hunting for alligators. That first trip I rounded a bend in the Sea Pines resort and almost hit a huge 6-7 foot long fellow laying by some bushes. (they remove all alligators from the island that are this large now due to tourist safety, but I still spotted some cute 2 foot long fellows in the waters as I was cruising beside a golf course last trip) I have also had the opportunity to cruise around Barcelona Spain fall 2011 and did an eight mile loop around the Charles River in Cambridge/Boston MA this past summer. The only problem I had in Boston was that they didn't have a cruiser to rent at my hotel so I had to ride one of those narrow seated things. About 4 miles into the trip I felt like I had a brick shoved up my.......well you know....and was going to be permanently impaired from the experience. My love for cycling actually helped me overcome the pain and I still enjoyed the ride that day. I smile even now as I think about it. Since I joined MFP 35 days ago I have thought a lot about my old friend in the garage. I think I would like to get her out and have her repaired and brought to specs for some new adventures. Even though the area I live in isn't cruiser friendly (more ideal for a mountain bike) I think investing in a bicycle rack would be a great idea to get us to flatter terrain adventures and help me move on to a more healthy lifestyle. In the mean time, I recently ordered some awesome bicycling dvds from vitadvds.com to use with my stationary bike (which had also been collecting dust) If you ride stationary you should check these out. You are actually riding down the roads of great locations. I ordered two that were filmed in Ireland, one in Scotland, and one in Nova Scotia. It makes the time on the stationary actually enjoyable. So how do I plan to reward myself if I make my MFP weight loss goal and continue my new healthy lifestyle into 2014? I am going to take a bicycle barge tour of the Netherlands during tulip time spring 2014!!!!! Now that's what I call a real motivator!!!! Anybody else out there a serious "cruiser" ?
  • Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Feb 7: 10.0 miles
    Feb Total: 110.6
    Feb Goal: 250
    % of Total: 44.2
    Bonus: None

Last of the beautiful days for awhile. Wind warnings for Phx have already been posted for tonight and tomorrow.

0085.gif
  • EweCreekCottage
    EweCreekCottage Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I am in for 250 crazy maybe but the weather looks good for the month I am getting a new gel seat and new grips and I am taking it to the speedway and out of the neighborhood so that should help me progress to the next level. Here is what I ave done since getting on my Purple People Eater for the first time in Oct @349 lbs

30.87 miles before MFP
    total for Oct 40.4 m
    total for Nov 106.25
    total for Dec 100.48
    total for Jan 108 .4

February Goal 250. Feb starting weight 325.2
    Feb 1, 2013. 4.05 miles. 37.36 minutes. Recovery ride ( did 15.05 m yesterday)
    Feb 2, 2013 rest day
    Feb 3, 2013 3.65 miles in 31 minutes (bad day to ride traffic wise superbowl sunday )
    Feb 4, 2013 16.31 miles a personal best rode to speedway and back with Doug my honey
    Feb 5, 2013 4.29 recovery ride cold and damp very little wind though weight 324.2lbs
    Feb 6, 2013 5.72 late start lots of fog leg felt like jello
    Feb 7, 2013 5.38 warm breezy with legs once again of jello
    39.40 of 250 so far

Bike Total so far 380.58
  • jehavin
    jehavin Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE to bicycle. It is one of my favorite activities on earth! With this being said you would think I would be a regular right? Afraid not. My beloved old friend (my beautiful green schwinn 5 speed bicycle which I rode avidly junior high through late twenties and have drug around the country through 6 moves) sits quietly in the corner of my garage dreaming of days when it was used and loved (like the velveteen rabbit.....see how silly I am about my bike). At some point in time I forgot this love for riding. Then a few years back we went on vacation to Hilton Head Island. Now I have never been a beach fan like my husband, but looking over the island literature and reading about 50 miles of bicycle paths had me foaming at the mouth with excitement. I rented a cruiser within hours of arriving and spent the next 3 days pedaling along enjoying the view, feeling the breeze, chinging the little bell, and hunting for alligators. That first trip I rounded a bend in the Sea Pines resort and almost hit a huge 6-7 foot long fellow laying by some bushes. (they remove all alligators from the island that are this large now due to tourist safety, but I still spotted some cute 2 foot long fellows in the waters as I was cruising beside a golf course last trip) I have also had the opportunity to cruise around Barcelona Spain fall 2011 and did an eight mile loop around the Charles River in Cambridge/Boston MA this past summer. The only problem I had in Boston was that they didn't have a cruiser to rent at my hotel so I had to ride one of those narrow seated things. About 4 miles into the trip I felt like I had a brick shoved up my.......well you know....and was going to be permanently impaired from the experience. My love for cycling actually helped me overcome the pain and I still enjoyed the ride that day. I smile even now as I think about it. Since I joined MFP 35 days ago I have thought a lot about my old friend in the garage. I think I would like to get her out and have her repaired and brought to specs for some new adventures. Even though the area I live in isn't cruiser friendly (more ideal for a mountain bike) I think investing in a bicycle rack would be a great idea to get us to flatter terrain adventures and help me move on to a more healthy lifestyle. In the mean time, I recently ordered some awesome bicycling dvds from vitadvds.com to use with my stationary bike (which had also been collecting dust) If you ride stationary you should check these out. You are actually riding down the roads of great locations. I ordered two that were filmed in Ireland, one in Scotland, and one in Nova Scotia. It makes the time on the stationary actually enjoyable. So how do I plan to reward myself if I make my MFP weight loss goal and continue my new healthy lifestyle into 2014? I am going to take a bicycle barge tour of the Netherlands during tulip time spring 2014!!!!! Now that's what I call a real motivator!!!! Anybody else out there a serious "cruiser" ?

I too love "cruising" and I wish that I had the time, street availability and weather to bike outside more than I do. However, stationary biking is just as much of a commitment/benefit in a cardiovascular sense, and, sometimes a more reliable and safe workout if a person doesn't have the right road conditions.

The way I see it, doing a stationary gives you the right muscle memory, technique and stamina so that when you do get to ride outside, you are physically fit enough to let your legs/heart/lungs take over automatically and enjoy the more aesthetic aspects like the wind in your face, sounds of the city and exhilaration of turns. A dessert after having eaten your broccoli all week!

Ride on and welcome to MFP!
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Jealous of those of you who can cycle outside in February. I have to wait until April at least. There is a foot of new snow on the ground right now and still coming down!
  • jehavin
    Options
    Feb 2---10 miles (my standard HIIT varied resistance/speed ride)
    Feb 4--12 miles (first LISS hour-long ride and I survived!)
    Feb 6--8 miles stationary HIIT
    Feb 8---9 miles stationary LISS w/a couple high-intensity intervals toward the end

Feb Total: 39 mi
    Feb Goal: 120 mi
    Percentage of goal: 32.5% (a little ahead with some wiggle room in case baby wants me to slow down later this month!)
  • jehavin
    Options
    Feb 6, 80 mins on the trainer.

Inspired by you! I'm trying to work my way up to 80-90 minute sessions so that I can join a group ride this summer. While on the trainer for that long, what is your heartrate looking like? Is it 65-75% the whole time (light/mod) or do you vary intervals of resistance/speed to get it up to max and back down?
  • jeffro1961
    jeffro1961 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    hello everybody, my names Jeff, I'm 51 years old and been into road cycling for a couple of years ...... always wanted to have a road bike but only just got everything together when we moved to Albany Western Australia. A small rural city with hilly slopes and bike friendly. Numerous cycling groups getting around town and some lovely dedicated cycle paths along beautiful pristine beaches and magnificent headlands.
    I have slackened off some in my cycling dedication and just getting back upto speed, I need to lose about 10kg for the benefit of my health but have no personal riding companions that can ride at the same times that I get out. It is summer here in the south west of Australia and days in Albany average about 25 degrees celcius, mostly sunny with occasional scattered showers.
    I would love to take up the challenge of 250 miles in February. I believe the km conversion would be about 415 km.........
    I track all my rides using cyclemeter iphone app which provides a good range of data, s far in Feb
    9 rides
    146.57 km
    Av distance of 16.3km @ approx 6:00am, and av speed of 27.7 km/h. I've been trying to get in some longer daily rides (25-28km)
  • jehavin
    Options
    Feb Total: 45 mi
    Percentage of goal: 37.5% (a little ahead with some wiggle room in case baby wants me to slow down later this month!)

Feb 9---6 miles stationary HIIT
    Feb 8---9 miles stationary LISS w/a couple high-intensity intervals toward the end
  • Supersix67
    Supersix67 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Cycling is my life!

I commute most days even during the winter, take part in club runs on Saturdays and Sundays and also racing (time trials).

I don't have a target for February (204 miles so far) but in January I covered 492 miles losing about 10 days cycling due to snow!

Any cyclists like to add me?

Elaine
  • EweCreekCottage
    Options
    I am in for 250 crazy maybe but the weather looks good for the month I am getting a new gel seat and new grips and I am taking it to the speedway and out of the neighborhood so that should help me progress to the next level. Here is what I ave done since getting on my Purple People Eater for the first time in Oct @349 lbs

30.87 miles before MFP
    total for Oct 40.4 m
    total for Nov 106.25
    total for Dec 100.48
    total for Jan 108 .4

Feb 2, 2013 rest day
    Feb 3, 2013 3.65 miles in 31 minutes (bad day to ride traffic wise superbowl sunday )
    Feb 4, 2013 16.31 miles a personal best rode to speedway and back with Doug my honey
    Feb 5, 2013 4.29 recovery ride cold and damp very little wind though weight 324.2lbs
    Feb 8, 2013 rest day
    Feb 9, 2013 3.53 cold damp very windy not fun at all but at least i bumped my metabolism came in and did 30 of circuit work
    42.93 of 250 so far

Bike Total so far 384.11
  • maxroadrash
    maxroadrash Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    February to date:
    Duration: 9:01:18
    Distance: 298.35k/185miles
    Calories: 4201
  • brocksmom
    brocksmom Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I did 11 miles today.

Would like to do 50 for the month.

Karen
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Sorry I've been out of pocket. I'll have to do some work to get to my goal now!

2/2 ride: 19.68 miles
    2/3: 9.95
    2/4 12.47 trainer
    2/10 14.23 trainer

MTD: 56.33
    Goal: 250
    % of goal: 22.5
  • Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Feb 10: 20.5 miles
    Feb Total: 131.7
    Feb Goal: 250
    % of Total: 52.7

8e101a54da6e7fe7b512417c85c3719d.jpg
  • jehavin
    Options
    So glad I joined this thread---keeping me consistent and accountable! =)

Feb Total: 50.5 mi
    Percentage of goal: 41.5% (a little ahead with some wiggle room in case baby wants me to slow down later this month!)

Feb 11---5.5 miles stationary HIIT
  • EweCreekCottage
    Options

30.87 miles before MFP
    total for Oct 40.4 m
    total for Nov 106.25
    total for Dec 100.48
    total for Jan 108 .4

Feb 2, 2013 rest day
    Feb 8, 2013 rest day
    Feb 9, 2013 3.53 cold damp very windy not fun at all but at least i bumped my metabolism came in and did 30 of circuit work
    Feb 10 , 2013 3.90 miles jello legs again
    Feb 11, 2013 4.41 miles cold damp windy hard to ride miserable
    51.24 of 250 so far

Bike Total so far 392.4

blk-exercise.png
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    2/2 ride: 19.68 miles
    2/3: 9.95
    2/4 12.47 trainer
    2/10 14.23 trainer
    2/11 15.58 trainer

MTD: 71.91
    Goal: 250
    % of goal: 28.7
  • jehavin
    Options
    Feb Total: 61mi
    Percentage of goal: 51%

Feb 13---11.5 miles stationary LISS
    Feb 11---5.5 miles stationary HIIT