"Broccomole"

Options
cmeiron
cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
Make this:

http://pinterest.com/pin/559290847443917223/

Seriously, make it right now.

One serving (half the recipe) is the size of my head (ok, not quite - but somewhere around 1.5-2 cups I think - 200g, anyways) and 135 calories, 7g of fat and SO FREAKING DELICIOUS.

Also, re: mandatory accompanying tortilla chips.

I did some comparison shopping yesterday, and found that if you go for the "traditional" style of chips rather than the ones made by T-stidos or the like, you get twice as much chip (g) for half the cals/fat and arguably better flavor. You will WANT larger portions of chips so you can eat the entire bowl of broccomole in one sitting, like I just did *burp*

Replies

• slap1225
    slap1225 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Scared!
  • cmeiron
    Options
    I was too.

Don't be.

My partner was also skeptical, I think.

We both licked our bowls. :embarassed:
  • babymine55
    babymine55 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My first reaction is to start kicking *kitten* and taking names for someone to think of messing with gaucamole...but then, the other half is intrigued enough to want to try it!!
  • cmeiron
    Options
    My first reaction is to start kicking *kitten* and taking names for someone to think of messing with gaucamole...but then, the other half is intrigued enough to want to try it!!

:laugh: It's NOT guac. Nothing could ever replace the real deal. This is something different, but in the same spirit. Also, you can eat ridiculous quantities of it, which is always a win in my book.
  • butters1
    butters1 Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    On my list to try! Sounds delish!!!!! Thanks!
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    WHY DON'T I HAVE AN BROCCOLI IN MY HOUSE RIGHT NOW?
    Also, this is a wonderful idea.
    I will have to try this.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I can't get to the link from my phone. :( could someone post the recipe please?
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    WHY DON'T I HAVE AN BROCCOLI IN MY HOUSE RIGHT NOW?
    Also, this is a wonderful idea.
    I will have to try this.

My thoughts exactly! :D
  • miss_rye_
    miss_rye_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options

I just GTS and this is what I got....

Ingredients
    •2 cups chopped fresh broccoli, cooked and chilled
    •1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
    •1 to 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
    •1 tablespoon fat-free mayonnaise
    •2 to 3 tablespoons lemon juice
    •1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    •Assorted fresh vegetables or tortilla chips
    Directions
    •In a food processor, combine the first six ingredients; cover and process until smooth. Refrigerate for several hours. Serve with vegetables or tortilla chips. Yield: 6 servings.

Nutritional Analysis:
    One serving (3 tablespoons) equals 27 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 33 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable.
  • cmeiron
    Options
    Here you go!

Ingredients

3 cups chopped broccoli
    1 jalapeno, chopped, seeds removed
    2 tbs green onions
    1 tsp olive oil
    2 ounces fat free cream cheese (or silken tofu, goat cheese, sour cream, cashew cream, something creamy)
    1/4 tsp chili powder
    1 tbs cilantro
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    Instructions

1. Cook the broccoli in lightly salted water until very soft. Overcook the broccoli in comparison to the al dente cooking that most recipes recommend.
    2. Drain broccoli very well.
    3. Transfer to a food processor. Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth, add additional olive oil for a smoother texture.
    4. Serve warm

I used light cream cheese, not no-fat, and added a touch of cumin, but otherwise followed the recipe to a T.
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options

Ingredients

3 cups chopped broccoli

2 tbs green onions

1 tsp olive oil

2 ounces fat free cream cheese (or silken tofu, goat cheese, sour cream, cashew cream, something creamy)

1/4 tsp chili powder

1 tbs cilantro

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp black pepper

1/4 tsp garlic powder

Instructions
    1.Cook the broccoli in lightly salted water until very soft. Overcook the broccoli in comparison to the al dente cooking that most recipes recommend.

2.Drain broccoli very well.

3.Transfer to a food processor. Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth, add additional olive oil for a smoother texture.
    4.Serve warm
  • ajourney2beme
    ajourney2beme Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Woa .. i want this. Do you think you could use home-made mayo for the 'something creamy'? I don't have any of those other creamy things!
  • babymine55
    babymine55 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

:laugh: It's NOT guac. Nothing could ever replace the real deal. This is something different, but in the same spirit. Also, you can eat ridiculous quantities of it, which is always a win in my book.

...I'm putting this on the list of things to try. ;-)
  • cmeiron
    Options
    Woa .. i want this. Do you think you could use home-made mayo for the 'something creamy'? I don't have any of those other creamy things!

I don't see why not! It might change the flavor a bit and you'd need to recalculate the cals, but that would be the case with anything else. Enjoy!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Mind=blown! So going to try this!!
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    yay! thanks so much for posting the recipe! I think I might make my family broccomole burgers for dinner tonight. we love broccoli!
  • entropy83
    entropy83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    yummy- glad there is a mayo free version because that really turned me off
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It took me a long time to click open this post because it just sounded so wrong. Now I'm glad I did! :happy:
  • CindyOSG
    CindyOSG Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Here you go!

Ingredients

3 cups chopped broccoli
    2 tbs green onions
    1 tsp olive oil
    1/4 tsp chili powder
    1 tbs cilantro
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    Instructions

1. Cook the broccoli in lightly salted water until very soft. Overcook the broccoli in comparison to the al dente cooking that most recipes recommend.
    2. Drain broccoli very well.
    3. Transfer to a food processor. Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth, add additional olive oil for a smoother texture.
    4. Serve warm

I used light cream cheese, not no-fat, and added a touch of cumin, but otherwise followed the recipe to a T.