Has anyone lost weight WITHOUT reducing carbs?

Options

Replies

• ReaGaladriel
    ReaGaladriel Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm not reducing anything in particular (just 500 calories a day) and I'm losing every week. :)
  • GeekGoneWild
    GeekGoneWild Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Our weight loss coach, a nutrionist has adivsed us against retrictive diets - like extremely low carb. You will loose a lot of weight at first but will gain most of it back after you go back to eating a more normal diet.
    She outlined that your brain needs the sugar in carbs to function properly. So we're following the MFP guidelines for our goals.

I haven't lost a ton of weight yet but I'm on the right track AND I'm eating in a way that I can maintain for a lifetime. I make room for things like cake or wine or chicken wings. I also have increased my activity but not in an extreme way.

It's the tortise and the hare that works and wins. I keep thinking that it took time to put all this weight on and it will take time to take it off. Good luck.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    yes, *most* people have.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 40-ish pounds without worrying about carbs. But I was fighting hunger and cravings way more than I do now on low carb. So yes it can be done but for some people it is easier to do it low carb.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    thank u everyone for your responces
  • RMNPHike
    RMNPHike Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Have lost more weight eating carbs than not eating carbs. I think you lose water when you go high protein/low carb, but then you stop losing (my experience). Carbs are so varied, you also have to break them down between the good and the bad. Many healthy carbs contain protein and fat too, such as barley and oats. Beans have carbs and protein. fruits and vegetables are healthy carbs. Refined, processed, sweetened carbs add calories without nutrition. When you are restricting calories, the best thing is to eat mostly very healthy, nutrient dense foods so you don't waste the calories on junk that won't nourish you and won't fill you up. Oh, and healthy, whole food carbs have fiber, which definitely helps you lose.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I don't give two craps about carbs.
    Lost 300lbs.
  • hulkweazel
    hulkweazel Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Sigh. Losing weight is eating fewer calories than you burn. Not much else to it. Has nothing to do with reducing carbs.

And yes, I have lost weight without reducing carbs, by eating less and exercising more.
  • canepafam
    Options
    I eat 2055 calories a day 55% coming from carbs. I've lost 3lbs since New Years. BUT I workout 5 to 6 days a week! I would not recomend this kind of diet if you have alot of weight to lose. I'm just saying it IS possible.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Does restricting them a little help the process at all? I think I have my carbs set at 143g and am never sure if I should lower them or what :p lol i like carbs
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I eat 2055 calories a day 55% coming from carbs. I've lost 3lbs since New Years. BUT I workout 5 to 6 days a week! I would not recomend this kind of diet if you have alot of weight to lose. I'm just saying it IS possible.

I ate/eat a lot of carbs. For most of my loss, I bet I was eating at least 50% carbs and I'm down 66-67lbs (which is about halfway to my goal)....so.....

ETA: Everyone, just find what works for you at each stage of your loss. Starting out, don't try to be so restrictive and focus more on eating at -20% of your TDEE. Educate yourself and as you move forward, then focus more on changing your eating habits. Creating good habits takes time and if you try to do everything all at once and adopt an all or nothing attitude, you are setting yourself up for disappointment and failure.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering if it is possible to lose weight without giving up carbs or restricting them . Without exercising like a maniac or becoming a body builder is it really possible to lose weight without going low carb? I'm coming off a low carb diet it helped me lose most of my weight. Since adding carbs back I have not lost anything. I just want to know if it's possible or do I just need more patience ?
    Yes, it is possible. I've lost 30 lbs without paying any attention to carb numbers, 47 lbs total, and I eat 1400-1600 cals a day with exercise levels from not-quite-sedentary to moderately active. No gym rat here. Not that I recommend that. You really should get some exercise daily.
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    It boils down most to calories, although I find that reducing carbs and/or fats in favor of increasing protein has the positive effect of generally keeping you fuller longer, enabling you to eat less and therefore keep your calorie count down. (that and you're likely to lose less muscle mass as the added protein will favor muscle maintenance)

I've lost almost 18lbs since 12/26 averaging roughly 238 carbs daily.
  • ray9421
    Options
    Its about the overall caloric intake. Eat nutrition packed foods and exercise. There's not much to it. I eat lots of carbs and it's not prohibiting me from losing weight.
  • cchavez325
    Options
    [Are you sticking strictly with what MFP suggest and losing this much???? ]
    I dont cut back carbs at all. I've lost over 60 lbs in 7 months. I lose about 10 inches a month cumulative. I'm happy with my progress so far and I have no intention of restricting carbs.
    [/quote]
  • RitaB19
    RitaB19 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering if it is possible to lose weight without giving up carbs or restricting them . Without exercising like a maniac or becoming a body builder is it really possible to lose weight without going low carb? I'm coming off a low carb diet it helped me lose most of my weight. Since adding carbs back I have not lost anything. I just want to know if it's possible or do I just need more patience ?

I lost 35 lb on a low fat, mod protein mod-high carb diet. And, have kept if off for over 10 years. You need to focus on the right carbs that's all (whole grains, nonfat or lowfat dairy, fruits, veggies, legumes). Avoid/limit the white, refined sugary stuff, sweets, processed food, etc. Calories in vs. calories out. Simply take in less than you expend and you will lose weight. Keep in mind, it takes a deficit of 500 cals per day via (food or exercise) to lose 1 lb of body fat per week. Feel free to check out my profile for my workout and eating plan. Carbs making one fat is a myth, not true! Use me as an example for that :)
  • RitaB19
    RitaB19 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I set my macros at carbs at 55% of total calories, but was eating up to 65% until recently. Only lowered it, b/c I have increased my PROTEIN intake to build muscle.
  • cynthialawry
    Options
    duh. yeah. eat COMPLEX carbs, veggies, beans, and fruits. limit fats [cheese, meat, dairy, etc.]. don't worry about getting enough protein. potatoes are one of the most complete foods you can eat ... without the junk on it. try some salsa instead. cut out the white bread, white rice, & fried food. veganism is the extreme but if you go in that direction you shall lose weight. move.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have lost all my weight so far by eating 200g+ carbs a day. Carb restriction can be helpful if you have Insulin Resistance but personally I don't think other than that it's necessary to weight loss.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I found that everytime I went over on carbs, I either didn't lose or gained. I've been keeping my carbs below 200 for the past couple of days and I've lost 3 lbs. Not sure if it's connected completely, but yea.....