Obese Friends Alienating Me

Options

Replies

• Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I might be able to offer some input on this...and maybe you had the same feelings as a bigger girl, or maybe you didn't. If you didn't...you're lucky.

I'm a big girl obviously..and I've just begun my weight loss journey. But before I started....any talk about losing weight/exercise would make me feel extremely uncomfortable/ashamed/sad on the inside. Especially when thin girls talked about needing to lose a few pounds/go to the gym.

That is an issue with one's self, and you did nothing to affect it intentionally...but it does hurt the person to be reminded that they are over weight. Even though I am steadily losing weight right now, and feel great that I've been eating healthier/going to the gym, I still look in the mirror and think, " What do you have to be happy for. You're still a fatass."

So to see that someone who was about as big as they were...now put forth so much effort and lose weight...it probably makes them feel worse that they aren't putting forth the same effort, or perhaps they're happy/fine with their image and they don't want to be 'preached to', not that I'm saying you're preaching. Anyways, that's my opinion. :)

This, but no matter how they are feeling about themselves they should've never accused you of having an eating disorder or being a drug addict. There is no excuse for that behavior and it sounds like you need to make some new supportive friends.
  • Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything everyone has said. My only addition would be that if you talk about weight loss (or nutrition or what have you) and are worried about how someone might take it, make sure you reference it back to yourself, so there's no "threat" to anyone listening. That sounds ridiculous, as I think people should be a bit thicker skinned about these things, but that's me and not everyone else out there.

Talk about what you did and why YOU did it. "I was concerned at the weight I was, there was a good chance I could develop diabetes." Sounds a lot different to someone than, "Did you know, you have a 30% greater chance of developing diabetes* when you are obese? That's one of the reasons I wanted to lose weight." Same meaning, but one is only talking about you, the other can sound a bit in your face.

Or find a bunch of friends who aren't so quick to judge you or get upset and just enjoy sliding into a new life. Or a bit of both.

*(Percentage grabbed out of thin air as example, don't take it as gospel.)
  • iveyroze3
    Options
    I also agree with most of the comments. I also am obese but am doing something about it finally. There is no magic bullet. We have to work for it and that's it.These people you talk about are not ready to let go of their obsession with food and thus lash out of you because you have strength and willpower and truly want to be healthier. They don't want to feel bad that they can't take charge of their life. In denial or intimidated. I'm not sure why people can't just be supportive. Probably just sick individuals who are hurting inside for whatever reason. I am happy I found this site,beacause it is so much harder to do it on your own, We have common goals on Myfitnesspal. HEALTH and WELLBEING. Being the best we can be. You sound like a awesome person. New friends can be had with an attitude like yours.
  • annemw82
    annemw82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The sad thing is your obese friends don't want you to lose weight. They want you to stay obese with them. Then they never have to address their weight issues. You losing weight shines a giant spotlight on the fact that they need to lose weight to and it sounds like it's making them very uncomfortable and subsequently turning them into a**holes. I had the same thing happen between me and someone I thought was my closest friend. But at the end of the day you just have to do what's best for you. Congrats on your success and keep it up!

haters_zpsb3b16fbc.gif
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,972 Member
    Options
    The problem is YOUR SUCCESS IS PREACHING without you saying a word. So, they have to come up with excuses to dismiss that success.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I doubt they don't want you to lose weight or they are jealous. I think it is more of a feeling of being attacked for condemned.

Probably, their defenses are high because they are use to ridicule, whether that is directly or indirectly (ex. via the media), so they are projecting their insecurities onto you.

You can only control your own actions, not their reactions. The only thing you can really do is to be sensitive to their emotions. Perhaps, only talk about weight loss if they ask so you don't come across as elitist. You can also try to have a conversation about it so you can explain your intention and they can explain their perception. Unfortunately, some people will never let their defenses down and will always feel like they're being attacked. There is nothing you can do about that.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    People in your life come and go - your health is forever. You'll find new friends who like to take walks, hike, kayak, swim, whatever your new interests are.

Their loss.

Yes please do! Find those who are climbing towards success and will bring you with them. Not drag you down.

^^ Agreed. That's part of why this is truly a life style change.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I find that it's best not to talk about weight loss in terms of health. The science there is still very new and changing frequently. No matter what your intentions, you'll always sound kind of like a jerk if you talk about weight loss/weight management in terms of health/unhealthy. Many factors figure into health -- not just weight. I usually just talk about how I feel when people ask me about losing weight. I am able to do more physically --- and that feels good.

Recent studies seem to suggest that being overweight or grade 1 obesity isn't as detrimental as previously thought (http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1555137) and that BMI isn't independently linked to diabetes (http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1360863). It might be hard to digest that info because it seems contrary to logic/reality -- but I suspect that's how the people you were talking to (at least in example 1) was feeling. She might feel good, she might be in perfectly good health, so what you said to her directly contradicts her personal experience and it annoyed her. I can understand that you weren't trying to do that, but weight is a deeply personal topic and people are very sensitive about it. And you can't just justify it with science because it might not back you.

As far as references to drug use, I think those people are just toxic. They'd probably be making snide comments no matter what the topic, so avoiding the, as best you can might be the best way to go.
  • Amazigh926
    Amazigh926 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    One thing that I have learned about losing weight, so far (I have lost 70 lbs and have 70 more to go) is that it is a COMPLETE change of your life! COMPLETE! It is not only about losing weight, it is about every aspect of your life changing and most people are unaware and unwilling to change every aspect of their lives for anything or anyone, even most importantly, themselves. Let's face it, change is scary, but some of us have the cojones to just do it and most don't, they are comfortable in their miserable lives and want others to stay miserable right along wth them. I have never felt so alienated from people than I do now, but I have friends at the gym where I go and I find support, here, on MFP with others like you-- even though you may not know it, you are empowering to me because I see a little bit (or a lot) of myself in others who post here. Stay strong and stay on course, people will say what they will (even my family taunts and insults me) but f*** 'em all. To all things there is a season and it has ended for some people being in your/my life. Mourn the loss and move forward to bigger and better things (and people). :)
  • KJFairywings
    KJFairywings Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I totally agree that misery loves company and so now since you are not one of them they are jealous and intimidated. People have small minds.... you have to learn that you come first and you that you can't help anyone else unless they want it... I have had it happen to me that even when I don't think I am "offering advice" there are certain people who get offended or angry and just don't want to hear it. I try to judge whether people TRULY want my opinion but it doesnt only work.
    Just hang in there and know that you are making the best choices for you.... Hugs!!
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I didn't have that many friends growing up because I was intelligent. I have had a good amount of friends no matter how much I weighed. When I started losing the weight, I actually didn't lose any of my friends because they all knew I had Type 2 Diabetes and wanted to take care of myself.

Of course, there was the one co-worker last year who tried tempting me with a doughnut, saying it was "21 calories, not 21 carbs." I didn't fall for it. All of them, and my family, have been very supportive of my weight-loss efforts.

I was in the "obese" area, but thankfully never made it to the "morbidly obese" department. I knew I had to lose the weight when I got diagnosed with the diabetes last year. I always worry someone wants me to get off the wagon and gain it back. As long as I don't let them get to me and I continue doing what I'm doing, I'll NEVER go back to being the bigger woman I had been.

Don't worry about what everyone else thinks of you. The only person you need to think about here is you. You made the decision to change your life, and you should be proud of it. If those so-called friends are still ridiculing you, it's time you had new friends. Just MHO. :wink:
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I try not to talk about changes that I'm making (except to my wife - but she signed on to listen to my nonsense.) If the topic comes up - I keep the answers short.

With any changes people make - while they might be really excited and want to share their thoughts, theories, feelings, good or bad, it can be annoying to the people that get this inflicted on them.

I'm not saying that you are necessarily doing this - but it's really common in my experience and the people doing it are often not completely aware of doing it. (weight loss, workout plans, divorce(!), medical issues, etc.)

If people are interested in talking about a topic - they will tend to ask probing questions. My advice is to try to be aware of that (and check the clock before you start talking). :)

The drug use accusations are just weird - so, I'd assume that they were made in jest?
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    This is such a strange concept to me. I have always had friends of different sizes. Maybe because I wasn't obese at a young age. Do women really clique together with others of only the same weight? I just find that strange and shallow. We are so much more than our body size. If the only thing you have in common with someone is your dress size, then that is not a friendship. I have had friends that were larger and smaller than me at different stages of my life and at different weights of myself. When someone lost weight, I was happy for them. When I lost weight, they were happy for me.

Being jealous of a friend's success in any area is so petty. On the other hand, you have to be very careful not to flaunt your success in someone's face, even unintentionally. It is like if you had a friend that was having problems getting pregnant, and then you get pregnant. You would be a bit sensitive to what they are going thru, and maybe not gush over all the baby stuff in front of them, but you wouldn't stop being their friend because you were successful in getting pregnant and they weren't.

Another thing to consider- since like 85% of people who lose weight, end up gaining it back, if you dump all your fat friends when you lose weight, then what are you going to do if you gain back your weight? Come crawling back to the 'fat club'? Will your new 'skinny friends' then dump you? Who I am doesn't change just because there is a different number on the scale.

I have had friends who have lost weight when I wasn't at a point where I was ready to make the commitment yet. I didn't hate them for losing the weight. I cheered them on and told them how wonderful they were doing. Jealousy is so unbecoming.

On the other hand, now that I have made the commitment and am making progress, I don't talk about it with anyone else who isn't working on losing weight with me. That is what is great about MFP. We can talk about it with our friends on here and brag about our successes without hurting other people's feelings.

It is very common for us when we finally 'get it' to want to share it with all the world so they can 'get it' too. But they have to come to it when they are ready, just like we did. And we have to respect that.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I think it's similar when people stop drinking - your friends may have to change. The fact that you've made a change can feel like an implicit judgement to people who are where you were when you decided you need to do things differently. We choose our friends partly because we feel they don't judge us too harshly, and that kind of change can make people feel judged, whether it's true or not.

You may have to accept that this will be part of your journey.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    When people comment on my weight loss and then inevitably ask "What are you doing?", I just make a joke about it and say something like "Oh, you know, just pushing back from the ol' feed trough", and then wait for them to ask if they really want the details of how and why. But they usually just laugh and change the subject, because they're not really interested in hearing about it unless it's "I found this great pill/powder/whatever that lets me eat like Godzilla and still lose weight!".
  • Seachicken84
    Seachicken84 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has said. They are ashamed and embarrassed of themselves and what they've become and you have surpassed them in taking your life and health back. Any mention of your weight loss to them is a reflection of their inabilities. They may even feel as if people look at them as being lazy or pigs. I know I used to feel that way when someone close to me would come right out and say hey know what I did to lose weight? I never asked them and quite honestly didn't notice that they lost weight but I felt as if they were looking at me and judging me. Which was possible since this person is very judgmental of others. My response was always wow good for you. My husband always felt that he had to defend me and would say well that's great for you but you don't have the medical issues my wife has and your approach hasn't helped my wife. I would always keep it inside but it did hurt. When I'm asked how much weight I've lost or how I lost it I keep it short and to the point and never ever bring up how unhealthy such and such a weight would be. Especially if that person asking is over weight. I keep the conversation to everything in moderation and get moving more. It's really hard to not offend someone with your accomplishments if they're self conscious or have low self-esteem. I have one friend who is morbidly obese and disabled. It doesn't bother her that I've lost weight and she always wants to hear about what I"m doing now to keep it going. She asks so I tell her. She wouldn't keep asking me if it bothered her.

I agree with most everything here. Your successes possible give them a bigger inferiority complex then they may have had being friends with a bigger you. My guess (and it's only a guess) is that not talking about it to your bigger friends unless they directly ask would quell the outwardly negative comments. If that doesn't stop the smack down they are giving you, there is always the direct approach. Let them know you enjoy them as a friend and would love to keep it that way, but friends are supportive and if they can't be supportive of your new lifestyle you need to step back. Nothing personal, just that you need support in your efforts in order to stay the course you have chosen. If they are true friends, they will snap out of it. If they aren't they will likely be too butt hurt to continue. But at least you gave the friendship a real chance. It's sad that insecurities can be so big that they derail friendships.

Not sure if I live in an idealic bubble or not, but is this a common thing with women or do men fall victim to this as well. Personally I have never heard a guy be nothing but supportive to another guys efforts to lose weight. Either way it's sad but not all that shocking.

Great job on your progress, you're awesome!!! Keep up the great work.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    They're intimidated by your awesomeness.

That's pretty much it. And they are jealous. They want to blame it on something (like drugs).
    Also, drugs don't make you lose weight. Not all drugs anyway. I mean, think about weed. It just makes you hungry. LOL.

I haven't had any experiences like this. I haven't lost a lot of weight. When I think about it, all/most of my friends are in relatively good shape. I don't have many friends, I certainly wouldn't NOT be friends with an obese person because he/she is obese. But I guess, considering I go out dancing every weekend for hours on end, my friends tend to be in relatively good shape. I'm probably in the worst shape out of everyone. Hah.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    This is such a strange concept to me. I have always had friends of different sizes. Maybe because I wasn't obese at a young age. Do women really clique together with others of only the same weight? I just find that strange and shallow. We are so much more than our body size.

sometimes, it's not the weight so much as behaviors that might go along with that, ie frequently eating out, lack of exercise, etc. but that can be worked around when you're dealing with genuine people. sounds like the OP's friends might just be some jealous biyatches. there's no reason to eye roll when someone's weight loss is mentioned.
  • Lyndz_88
    Options
    i am 5 stone heavier than my best friend, and we always chat about health/fitnes. i dont see it as her attacking me, just, shall we say, helping each other, as she struggles herself to stay slim (we are both typical pear shapes, so share that struggle lol) anyway, what im saying is, your real friends shouldnt feel like you are shaming them! or be intimidated by you, its just ridiculous. if someone you dont know very well does it, ok, but a friend? dont they realise how much of a struggle it is! to lose weight and have no support. i rerally feel for you hun, when i was slimmer, about 2 stone off my goal weight, i had one friend keep saying i looked ill! its it because they are ashamed of themselves at the end of the day, and you remind them of there failures where you are succeeding. trust me, your real friends will always support you. surround yourself with those people, because as you say, your only half way there, and you are going to need it. look at me, so close to my goal, and somehow i am back where i started. no support, encouragemnet i suppose.
  • Lalaj100
    Lalaj100 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is
    > THEY ARE HATERS! They are upset because they did not have the discipline to do what you did. Let them go and be mad and smile in their faces as you continue to lose weight and be fabulous!