calories and weight loss

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    we have to be aware of the blood , when we eat we eat for the blood, because the blood will deliver the energy it gets from your stomach to all the parts of the body for energy

so we really have to eat for the blood ,

all calories are not equal

so i don't like the term calories,

i prefer to look at it as energy for the blood,

As a unit of energy, a calorie is a calorie. When you're just strictly talking about weight control, a calorie is a calorie. Nutrition is a completely different discussion. I was losing plenty of weight eating crappy food at a caloric deficit, but my blood work numbers weren't changing...but I was losing weight. My blood work started changing when I changed my eating habits to include more nutrient dense foods...and yes, for me less sugar because I was pre-diabetic and my triglycerides were very high. I'm eating much better foods as a whole now, but I still count calories...If I was to consume calories beyond my TDEE of only spinach, I would still gain weight because I would still be consuming more calories than my body needs to operate.

But like I said...just talking weight loss by itself, a calorie is in deed a calorie. Nutrition is a separate conversation..perhaps it shouldn't be, but it usually is.
  • jamesagnew717
    Options
    "Definition: A calorie is a measure of energy expenditure. The calories referred to in diet and exercise are kilocalories (kcal) - 1000 of the calories referred to in science labs for measuring chemical reactions.
    A pound of fat stores 3500 calories (kcal). To lose a pound of fat a week a person must eat approximately 500 fewer calories (kcal) per day than he/she expends.

The range of daily calorie burning is from 1600 for a sedentary woman or older people to 2800 for active men, very active women and teenage boys." http://walking.about.com/cs/calories/g/calorie.htm

I have no idea what you are trying to say....

you have no idea what i am saying ?

did you take the time to read this whole thread ?

i will say it again

100 grams of sugar is 500 calories

100 grams of beans is 100 calories lets say we eat 500 grams of beans thats 500 calories

the calories in the 100 grams sugar is 500 and will cause you weight gain

the calories in 500 grams of beans is 500 and will not cause weight gain

what don't you get about what i am saying here ?

i am saying that you have to be aware of your sugars intake

you can eat as many calories from non sugar foods in my opinion, stay away from the sugars calories and you lose weight

this is my honest opinion on this matter
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    So you're saying somebody could eat 10,000 calories in beans a day, every day, and they would not gain a single ounce because it is not a sugar food?
  • Craigamears
    Craigamears Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    A kilocalorie which is what we call calories when speaking about food energy is "a unit of energy equal to the heat required to raise the temperature of 1 kg of pure water by 1º C". Nothing about quality or quantitiy of the substance that is being used to derive the heat.

Now if the question is about the effects of some foods on the body's hormonal response then there is a whole plethora of systems being hit by that banana. How we hormonally respond to the ingestion of that yellow delight is determined by our genes. (This is my pro-snowflake vote). People of similar heights and weights will respond differently to that fruit because of their endocrinology. My brother is an inch taller and 100 pounds lighter with the same parents and similar food. The folks on my father's side were skinny and my mother's side much huskier to put it delicately.

It has nothing to do with calories or bananas.
  • jamesagnew717
    Options
    So you're saying somebody could eat 10,000 calories in beans a day, every day, and they would not gain a single ounce because it is not a sugar food?

no

i am saying that you would probably look to eat foods that are high in fiber and low in sugar and to look at getting a realistic potion size, but not looking at it from a calorie perspective,

you would never be above to stomach 10,000 calories of beans lol, get real man

its just about being sensible guys
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    "Definition: A calorie is a measure of energy expenditure. The calories referred to in diet and exercise are kilocalories (kcal) - 1000 of the calories referred to in science labs for measuring chemical reactions.
    A pound of fat stores 3500 calories (kcal). To lose a pound of fat a week a person must eat approximately 500 fewer calories (kcal) per day than he/she expends.

The range of daily calorie burning is from 1600 for a sedentary woman or older people to 2800 for active men, very active women and teenage boys." http://walking.about.com/cs/calories/g/calorie.htm

i will say it again

100 grams of beans is 100 calories lets say we eat 500 grams of beans thats 500 calories

you can eat as many calories from non sugar foods in my opinion, stay away from the sugars calories and you lose weight

You would not gain weight eating 500 calories of beans or 500 calories of sugar if you are, on a whole, at a caloric deficit. If I ate 3,000 calories of sugar, I'd gain weight...If I ate 3,000 calories of beans, I'd gain weight...If I ate 2,200 calories of sugar I'd lose weight (and probably feel pretty ****ty)...if I ate 2,200 calories of beans I'd also lose weight. I'd lose weight in either case because I'm at a caloric deficit at 2,200 calories. My body would get no nutritional value out of those 2,200 sugar calories, but again...that's simply confusing proper nutrition with energy needs. I would agree that both are important, but you seem to be implying that you can eat as much as you want of a nutritionally dense, quality food without gaining weight and that's simply not true. I know some over weight vegans.
  • jamesagnew717
    Options

i will say it again

You would not gain weight eating 500 calories of beans or 500 calories of sugar if you are, on a whole, at a caloric deficit. If I ate 3,000 calories of sugar, I'd gain weight...If I ate 3,000 calories of beans, I'd gain weight...If I ate 2,200 calories of sugar I'd lose weight (and probably feel pretty ****ty)...if I ate 2,200 calories of beans I'd also lose weight. I'd lose weight in either case because I'm at a caloric deficit at 2,200 calories. My body would get no nutritional value out of those 2,200 sugar calories, but again...that's simply confusing proper nutrition with energy needs. I would agree that both are important, but you seem to be implying that you can eat as much as you want of a nutritionally dense, quality food without gaining weight and that's simply not true. I know some over weight vegans.

you may know overweight vegans because they may eat potato chips, drink full sugar drinks such as coca cola , or even energy drinks such as red bull, these all have high sugar levels and cause weight gain

i don't agree with what you are saying , this shows us how brainwashed we all are

sugar will cause you to gain weight avoid it at all cost for your weight loss
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

See. Troll... I told ya.
  • jamesagnew717
    Options
    it seems there is a conspiracy when it comes to the word calories,

it looks like the food company's have got together with the elite in order to create an association to the food we eat as being equal to each other

the truth of the matter is this, the calories are not equal

the food company's want you to believe this so they can sell there product and you don't feel bad for eating it because its low in calories,

see ?

they would rather you keep buying there product's so they remove the fat and replace it with ?

sugar

they promote yogurts like this, its fat free, then you check the sugar content and its sky high,

so they are happy for you to count calories and run your but off in the gym in order to lose weight because they are still making money selling you the fat free yogurt that's got 15 grams of sugar in it,

its unreal, and i am sick of it , people really need to learn to eat all over again and ditch these food company's product's

why do you thinkn they are looking for a cure for cancer ?

they are looking for this cure in order to find out how to keep selling you there crap so your body can live in this environment,

and guess what, we are paying to help them find this cure, did you know that its what you eat that is causing these cancers ?

cancer can not thrive in an alkaline environment or sugar free environment,

they want a cure for cancer so that you can get treatment for the crap you eat , that you pay them for, its crazy ,

you are paying them for dead foods that make you sick.

this is the truth guys, sorry
  • jamesagnew717
    Options
    troll ?

what do you mean troll ?

can you explain this please

thanks
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    tHw0b.gif
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    We have a STANDARD measurement based on how much energy various foods contain and how much energy an average person burns. It's called a calorie. It's not a conspiracy. It's based on good science.

Maybe you should do some research instead of looking for "opinions" Your time would be better spent.

Have a nice day. :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    Options

i will say it again

you may know overweight vegans because they may eat potato chips, drink full sugar drinks such as coca cola , or even energy drinks such as red bull, these all have high sugar levels and cause weight gain

i don't agree with what you are saying , this shows us how brainwashed we all are

Dude....I know all of this from personal experience...when I first started losing weight I ate exactly the same way I used to eat. Full fat...sugar...saturated fats...white breads and rice...soda...you name it. I lost weight because I was consuming less calories than my body needed to maintain weight...i.e. I was at a caloric deficit...I was losing weight because I was at a caloric deficit.

In RE to the nutritional aspect, I would agree...not all calories are equal when it comes to nutrition. Like I said before, since I started cleaning up my diet and eating more nutritionally dense and whole foods, my blood work has gotten a lot better...but I still have to watch calories. I don't have an internal fuel gauge that works...I can eat my own weight in fruit and veg. And no...the vegans I know don't eat chips and what not...they're very conscience about "eating clean"...they just eat too much.

Calorie is not a conspiracy...it's a scientific measure of energy period. There is no brainwashing...food companies didn't invent the calorie.
  • jamesagnew717
    Options
    Hi,

I would like to start this discussion on the topic of the word CALORIES and how it has become one of the most discussed terms of gauging our weight , we use the term calories to discuss our energy needs for our day, but why should we believe this word. i would like to know your thoughts below

did you read this post guys ?

at the start i said i want to discuss the word calories and how its gauging our weight loss

up to now, i have had nobody really agree with me

so it looks like you have all been brainwashed true enough by this word,

my conclusion is that this word is so powerful that people may never wake up to the truth,

i wish you all well

i am ending this discussion at this point

have a nice day all
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    We have a STANDARD measurement based on how much energy various foods contain and how much energy an average person burns. It's called a calorie. It's not a conspiracy. It's based on good science.

Maybe you should do some research instead of looking for "opinions" Your time would be better spent.

Have a nice day. :smile:

Dude...you're just perpetuating the conspiracy. Everyone knows that there's nothing scientific about a calorie and that big sugar invented it and is trying to make everyone fat. Where you been brah? :tongue:
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    That was wierd.:laugh:
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

Hi,

I would like to start this discussion on the topic of the word CALORIES and how it has become one of the most discussed terms of gauging our weight , we use the term calories to discuss our energy needs for our day, but why should we believe this word. i would like to know your thoughts below

did you read this post guys ?

at the start i said i want to discuss the word calories and how its gauging our weight loss

up to now, i have had nobody really agree with me

so it looks like you have all been brainwashed true enough by this word,

my conclusion is that this word is so powerful that people may never wake up to the truth,

i wish you all well

i am ending this discussion at this point

have a nice day all

You don't make sense and make ridiculous statements, your topic is calories and weight loss and it's turned into "James hates sugar" You've hi-jacked your own post, and you're a troll

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic

Good luck with that :flowerforyou:
  • WEB3
    WEB3 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I was entertained. cwolfman13 made some good points!
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Hi,

........so it looks like you have all been brainwashed true enough by this word, ..........

Or...you could just be an idiot.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Calorie is a unit of energy... what other word would you like to use?

I prefer Joules myself.

Excellent!