Turkey bacon vs. Pig bacon

Options
I was just looking up about turkey bacon and I have Jennie-O's Turkey Bacon... I love them, I do. But now I'm reading some articles saying that we should stick to regular bacon, just have to control the portion, and looking at nutrition facts... I am trying to comprehend this. Which would be wise to stick it to? I want to make sure that I'm eating wisely... Calories, cholesterol, and some few important nutrition values to it... so turkey bacon or regular bacon?

Replies

• cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I would rather have a few slices of regular bacon per week than a few slices of turkey bacon everyday. I've tried a couple different turkey bacons in the past and they just don't cook up right to me.
  • erinkward
    erinkward Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Center Cut bacon, better for you and if you research the pros/cons....it really does come out on top :)
  • LexThaSongbyrd
    LexThaSongbyrd Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I believe there may be more sodium in turkey bacon. I use regular pork bacon, but I always get "center cut" pork bacon. It's less fat/calories. The brand I buy is from Aldi's...3 slices for 70 calories, 4 grams of fat and 7 grams of protein, 270 grams of sodium. The Oscar Myer name brand center cut at your local grocery store has basically the same stats...I think 4.5 grams of fat for 3 slices. I don't think that can be beat. I've loss over 90 lbs in the past 10 months with a diet of high protein, so I eat this bacon like every day!
  • kmmcquay
    kmmcquay Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    hmm okay i didn't know that. thank you guys.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of eating the 'real deal'. If it is high in calories, i have smaller portions, take smaller bites end end up enjoying it more.

Turkey bacon is nothing like the real thing to me. I have never woken up to the smell of turkey bacon sizzling in the pan on a saturday morning and thought, 'what a great smell!'. Know what i mean?

Give me pork bacon or give me nothing. I would rather have more fruit than turkey bacon!

Good luck!
  • MerlinWilliams
    MerlinWilliams Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon is not bacon.

It's turkey meat that has been processed to look sort of like bacon, and taste sort of like bacon.

Bacon can be made from pigs, cows and lambs - because they have a belly.

Turkey bacon's ingredient list:

Ingredients: (White Turkey, Mechanically Separated Turkey, Dark Turkey), Water, Sugar, Salt, contains 2% or less of Canola Oil, Sun Flower Oil, Natural Flavor, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Nitrite.

Not the worst thing I've ever seen, but any time I see "mechanically separated" I cringe.
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Center Cut bacon, better for you and if you research the pros/cons....it really does come out on top :)

This. If you are eating turkey for personal reasons (for whatever reason you dont eat pig) then of course, picking turkey is the way to go. Sometimes it can be leaner, but there are some pretty fattening turkey bacons out there. We all know that Jenni-o is paid sponsor of The Biggest Loser so of course her products get pushed a lot.

Honestly, it depends on what you are trying to stay away from. Center Cut Bacon has lower sodium and the nutritional value is better. Price for price. Turkey bacon and regular bacon do come in low sodium versions, but they cost a LOT more. Center Cut can be pricey, but I feel like its the best bang for the buck.

In the end, it really is a personal preference.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I try and limit regular bacon to once a week and eat turkey bacon 2 or 3x a week.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in denial, so have a piece of pork bacon if you like.

Personally, I can't stand a mouthful of grease, so I stick to turkey bacon. Another benefit is how few calories it has, too. :)
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    The turkey bacon we have here is made from mechanically-separated meats, so definitely highly processed. I would say regular bacon is probably closer to natural for that reason, even though it is obviously processed some as well. I like both, but I definitely prefer the real stuff.
  • SoCalWoman
    SoCalWoman Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Center cut bacon! Look for it on sale (it can be pricey) and freeze.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    There is no bacon other than what comes off of a pig. Turkey bacon is simply blasphemy, like when they ask "vanilla or chocolate" when you ask for a frosty @ Wendy's. 2 pieces of Wright brand thick bacon = 90 calories. And is the Best.Bacon.Ever.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I tried chicken bacon and turkey bacon and the flavor difference just is too much. There isn't enough bad about regular bacon to make me want to switch again. Ill take it in moderation, like I have everything else.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I prefer pig bacon. I like the the texture and taste better. Nutritionally they are very similar. I go for the center cut or uncured nitrate free stuff.
  • GainsAndGuitars
    Options
    There is no turkey bacon.

There is only pork bacon.

Problem solved.

This. And can anyone get a GIF image going of Ron Swanson from "Parks and Recreation" where he puts the 'veggie' bacon in the trash can. That would fit perfectly.
  • amanada11
    amanada11 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am Jewish, so bacon is out for me. But I have tried turkey bacon and definitely not a fan. However, we recently found chicken bacon and prefer it. It cooks up more like real bacon (crispier).
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Turkey bacon is good, but you need to get a quality brand, not Jennie-O.
    Look for Applegate, Wellshire, or Garrett. These 3 taste good and have a great nutritional profile. MOST of the ones you find on the shelf are garbage.

On the other hand, when it comes to regular pig bacon, you can pick up just about any old package and it's just as good as the others.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I actually like both and have both. I find turkey bacon cooks up quicker and has a nice smokey flavor. I also love turkey pepperoni too! It just depends on my mood, what I'm cooking, and how much bacon I want. If I want a BLT piled 6inches high with bacon I'll opt for the turkey. If I want bacon and eggs I do the real stuff.

Both have their place.
  • Tonya0605
    Tonya0605 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of eating the 'real deal'. If it is high in calories, i have smaller portions, take smaller bites end end up enjoying it more.

Turkey bacon is nothing like the real thing to me. I have never woken up to the smell of turkey bacon sizzling in the pan on a saturday morning and thought, 'what a great smell!'. Know what i mean?

Give me pork bacon or give me nothing. I would rather have more fruit than turkey bacon!

Good luck!

^^ This. Every. Single. Word.