Is it okay if I "binge" my calories at night before bed?

Options

Replies

• bootsandfros
    bootsandfros Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i sometimes still binge at night but now i just make sure i'm binging on fruit/popcorn and water. it seems to workout better for me. maybe slowly make some changes.
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I used to bigne at every meal but I've made small imporvements. I still binge (almost every day) but usually at night. But to minimize the damage, i make sure to have water - dense foods on hand, such as celery and carrots, and dip them in cream cheese, cottage cheese, spagheti sauce, or peanut butter.

Lately the problem has been that I binge on the dip though...water, as some have said, does well too but if you plan on going to bed you might wake up a few hours later to pee.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you mean by "binge" but if you're within your calorie range, hitting macros, and making generally good choices, then don't sweat it!

It doesn't seem like you're really "binging." It just sounds like you feel guilty for eating after a certain time, or for not eating traditional meals. I wouldn't worry.

Im always over on my macros even if I dont eat late at night :(
    But always under my calories.
    Always over sugar, carbs, vitamins, calcium, and iron.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Im always over on my macros even if I dont eat late at night :(
    But always under my calories.
    Always over sugar, carbs, vitamins, calcium, and iron.

Except for carbs, the things you named are not macros and won't affect your weight loss.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter really when you eat...I think if your saving most of your calories for the nightt, just push your breakfast back that day, or just wait until lunch...its pretty much intermittent fasting, but your not supposed to IF if you still have an eating disorder....
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I always have a small snack at night... like a tbsp of peanut butter and a glass of milk. It actually helps me sleep better. BUT... for me at least... when I binge at night, I feel horrible and can't sleep well (if at all). So... my recommendation would be to NOT binge at night. To NOT binge at all, in fact. Eat at regular times throughout the day... with lots of protein and fiber mixed in.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    You can - but it probably isn't the smartest thing to do. A lot of it also depends on what sort of food you're "binging on" - and whether it's junk or reasonably healthy.

I remember seeing that there was a study done: one group had a big lunch and small dinner, the second group had a small lunch and a big dinner. After however many weeks, the first group actually stayed the same or lost because they were able to burn their calories throughout the day better. The second group actually gained.

That being said, I do usually save about 200 calories for a light snack in the evening.

For what it's worth - and good luck!!
  • VTLois
    VTLois Posts: 49
    Options
    Are you sleeping ok? For me, overeating at night keeps me awake. If you are needing the mental idea of bingeing, then maybe do so with salads, fruit, oatmeal...anything that's a better choice than what you are eating now. For myself, it's all about the quantity, so I make huge salads for instance.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Track your calories, macro and micro nutrients, who cares when you get them! If you are within the range you need you should be just fine. The 6,7,8,9 myth is due to people not paying attention to what they eat after meal times and it causing problems due to what is typically consumed, ice cream and buttered popcorn... Your internal organs can't tell time! You also burn more calories while you sleep than while you watch TV. Eat properly and your body will use what you eat to make you healthier!
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    That's nice. There is still a huge difference between taking in a bunch of calories from junk food and from healthier choices. It is a lifestyle change ;). Also, you adding all your lovely titles just makes me laugh, but good for you. =]

But what if she didn't sign up for the Lifestyle Change? I only signed up for the Lose Weight and Look Hot package. So I eat whatever I want whenever I want and continue to improve my physique and vitals. The Lifestyle Change package required too much commitment, offered too little fun, and the people all seemed kinda preachy.
    Because if you don't do the lifestyle change & only try to "lose weight & look hot" - in the miracle that you actually DO get there, it'll probably only last 4-6 months. And then you'll have an ever harder time trying to "lose weight & look hot" again.

How's that lifestyle change going for you then. 4lbs lost and joined in June 2010.......Just sayin'.....
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    That's nice. There is still a huge difference between taking in a bunch of calories from junk food and from healthier choices. It is a lifestyle change ;). Also, you adding all your lovely titles just makes me laugh, but good for you. =]

But what if she didn't sign up for the Lifestyle Change? I only signed up for the Lose Weight and Look Hot package. So I eat whatever I want whenever I want and continue to improve my physique and vitals. The Lifestyle Change package required too much commitment, offered too little fun, and the people all seemed kinda preachy.
    Because if you don't do the lifestyle change & only try to "lose weight & look hot" - in the miracle that you actually DO get there, it'll probably only last 4-6 months. And then you'll have an ever harder time trying to "lose weight & look hot" again.

How's that lifestyle change going for you then. 4lbs lost and joined in June 2010.......Just sayin'.....

And as the original poster of stating it is a lifestyle change I have lost 65lbs. I am going to stick to that it is a lifestyle change ha. =]
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

And as the original poster of stating it is a lifestyle change I have lost 65lbs. I am going to stick to that it is a lifestyle change ha. =]

Erm, that's lovely but it wasn't addressed to you....
  • mommamills
    Options
    I didn't do that bad tonight. An ounce of chips, crackers and cheese, and peanut butter on apples. I'm getting there :)

I stay up till like 2 am. So stopping eating at 9 would be way too long between them sleeping and waking up

these look like good snacks to me....why would you say you "binge" on junk? I agree with another poster though...it seems like if you've had problems with binge eating in the past that THAT would be what you needed to work on. :flowerforyou:
  • Makoce
    Options
    I didn't do that bad tonight. An ounce of chips, crackers and cheese, and peanut butter on apples. I'm getting there :)

I stay up till like 2 am. So stopping eating at 9 would be way too long between them sleeping and waking up

these look like good snacks to me....why would you say you "binge" on junk? I agree with another poster though...it seems like if you've had problems with binge eating in the past that THAT would be what you needed to work on. :flowerforyou:

Last night was snacks, but there have been times Ive been worse!
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options

Erm, that's lovely but it wasn't addressed to you....

Then next time delete my quote from it. Thanks.
    =]
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! Thanks guys.
    And yes, my binging use to be a eating disorder.
    Id go from a sandwhich, to soup, to chips, to popcorn, to cake, to tunafish, to candy, and the whole like all night long until bed.
    But with my 10z of chips, some apples with peanutbutter, and crackers and cheese, I can say I did feel guilty, but I dont no longer.
    I am actually saving the calories not just so I can eat more at night, but to actually prevent my previous habits.
    I admit I eat junk food every day, but usually its only the serving size. Ive been teaching myself what 17 Doritos tastes like, haha!

If it's working for you thats wonderful.
    Binge eating disorder like any other disordered relationship with food is so hard to break.

I would warn you though especially when you are feeling weak, tired, angry, sad to really watch that nightly eating because as you know it can quickly escalate to a full out binge where you are eating just to hurt yourself.

I have to avoid triggers and eating outside of my plan or it sets me up for a full blown binge. Wish I could just eat for nutrition, but sadly thats not the case. Every day it's a battle.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner sometimes as late as 8 or 9pm on weekdays, and on weekends (when I sleep in late and throw my eating-times off by 2-3 hours) I sometimes don't eat til 11pm and stay up until 2am. Still losing weight, still exercising, doesn't seem to hurt :)

I also have light snacks right before bed sometimes. Man, I'm a bad girl. :wink: :laugh:
  • Makoce
    Options
    Im starting to change one obsession for another, though.
    While I use to be obsessed with eating ( I use it in past tense, but obviously the problem is still there )
    I am now obsessed with NOT going over my calorie intake. Im almost afraid to.
    So while there is chance for me to backfire on myself, my super anxious obsessive personality is keeping myself in check.
    While this means I wont stop eating "junky" foods ( at this point ) it does mean I can control myself to an extent.
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Wow guys, let's lower the negativity.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I practice intermittent fasting so I eat all my calories in the late afternoon and evening. It hasn't hindered my weight loss at all. I don't usually start eating until sometime between noon and 4pm (depending on my fasting time for the day)
    Wow, so what I naturally do is actually a form of intermittent fasting! Who knew? (not me apparently). I usually don't eat anything substantial until early to late afternoon and the vast majority of my cals during work days are consumed during evening/night hours. Last night for example, I ate more than 1,200 of my ~2,700 cals after 10pm and went to sleep around 2am. But then again, I also started a 1,000 cal cardio burn around 9pm.
    As long as my macros look good, I rarely concern myself with the time of day that I eat. I do try to avoid dense foods right before bed because it'll make me feel like I have a brick in my gut in the morning.:sick: I'll also avoid spicy foods right before bed to avoid indigestion. Otherwise, if it fits my macros, I'm all good.