CONFUSED

Options

Replies

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Like a lot of people I have found MFP's counts to be off, and I just use a fit bit to record all the movement I do, and it makes it so you don't have to decide what, or how much exercise to add. It just doesn't calculate calories burned for weight lifting you might be doing.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    When I started mfp I logged EVERYTHING: washing up, hanging out clothes, sex... Absolutely anything, because the 1200kcal mfp gave me was less than 50% of my TDEE, as I have discovered from my logging, so I was losing over 2lb a week whilst logging cleaning and eating back all of my exercise calories AND I only had 10lb left to lose (for those of you who think only very overweight people should log it).

Plenty of people don't log cleaning as exercise, and succeed. I'm sure plenty do, and succeed. Mfp works on averages, so for some the numbers will be too high, for others, like me, too low. The key is to use the tools as you find suits you, and when seeking advice, consider all options, but choose your own path.
  • lawandfitness
    lawandfitness Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    And to the folks saying cleaning is not exercise, Hell yes it is! I clean my entire house lugging a vacuum up and down stairs, mopping, scrubbing, dusting, sweeping, taking garbage out, folding and putting away laundry, etc. I do all this non stop, without rest until I am done. That is exercise! :smile:

I agree with this......

A general day to day tidy should not be logged, but as pp said when you are cleaning an entire house nonstop and your heart rate becomes elevated, then to me it is exercise. Once a week I give my house a thorough cleaning and I am usually sweaty and exhausted by the time I am done, same feeling I get doing a level of 30 DS.........
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Housework does NOT burn that much, honestly.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor so you can more accurately record calorie burns.
    I recommend the Polar FT7.
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    Options
    Stop logging 10 minutes of housework. That's not exercise.

This. Can't emphasize that enough. Even for the "sedentary" lifestyle choice, I'm sure they already assume you do things you have to do, like cleaning or cooking or laundry or whatever. Just because it's listed as available doesn't mean it's a good thing to log as exercise. If you eat back exercise calories, this will hurt you.

On the other hand, that one day occasionally you wake up, start cleaning, and don't stop until late night when you collapse in bed.... that you could log. And that's probably what your calorie count you're putting in for "housework" is for, and why it's so high.
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

Oooh the negativity! The "ten" minutes was just a "for-instance" not actual time as I couldn't remember if it was an hour I did or not. But thank you for the response.

There was no negativity. It was fact.

But I clearly don't know what I'm talking about and you obviously didn't actually want any real answers so good luck to you in your weight loss goals.

Putting words in the OP's mouth ("clearly", "obviously you didn't") doesn't establish you as a credible or likeable person. Just because you are right does not also automatically mean that you can't be negative.

One - I didn't put words in her mouth. I never said "YOU SAID". If anything, I'm assuming what she wanted not putting words in her mouth. But since you both ASSUMED my tone was "negative", I suppose that makes us even?
    Two - I don't care if you like me. I also don't care if you think I'm credible. I posted to be helpful. If someone doesn't want to take that advice, that's their problem. I have been successful in my weight loss goal so it's obviously not my problem.
    Three - Please point out ANYWHERE in my OP that was negative. Just because it's not what someone wants to hear does not mean it is negative.

Good god. Between you and the OP, you make me not even WANT to post helpful advice. And yes, my advice would be helpful if she takes it.

I had a response to your points but it didn't post, and I don't really care to retype it. You seem like you're having a rough day, and I'm sorry that your choice to command OP to "stop" logging housework as exercise didn't go over as well as you'd hoped. That doesn't mean you shouldn't ever post advice, but perhaps consider not being harsh on someone who admits that they are still figuring out how the site works. Congratulations on your weight loss, but remember that not all of us are at the same level of knowledge on our journeys. And just because we aren't doesn't mean we are unwilling to become educated. Hence why OP posted. Have a lovely day.

What the hell is going on here? Is this gang up on people who post good advice day? You're the one being harsh.

^^^This

^Agreed

It's not good advice when it is just labeling house cleaning in general as not excercise when what the op is really doing is cleaning and packing a house to move. Just saying that moving is not a normal activity for most people and it sure the heck will tire you out and I would definitly log it that way.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m9bmvo874J1rv4e0b.gif
  • x_ZEST_x
    Options
    People please, telling someone not to log cleaning as exercise is not being rude but direct. It is prevention because latter on she will ask herself and the rest of the community why she is not losing weight. The worst part is that the same people that are telling her that “every little things counts” will pat her back and say; it’s OK, it must be that you are retaining water, or you are gaining muscle, or weight loss in not lineal, or don’t quit because you can do it… Just think about it, good and sound advice at the beginning will prevent many frustrations in the long run.

Why don't people understand that she wasn't just dusting her house, and was just using the 10 minutes as an example. She was moving, which is a lot of work, and is not something someone does everyday. She didn't ask if it was ok to log house work so you are just giving advice on something that wasn't asked, and then continue to argue over it even though the OP understands regular house work is not exercise, and high jack her thread because you actually didn't give any advice on what she asked in her OP, and her follow up questions.

bagge72 Thank you so much. I couldn't have worded that better if I tried. I actually became upset with all the arguing and left it for a while. You hit the nail on the head perfectly. Thank you again for your sense.

Thanks to everyone for your views, there are some very genuine lovely people on here. Everyone is entitled to to have their own views of course. We are all different in our ideas. I wish you ALL the best of luck on your seperate journeys. :)
  • GenieBB
    GenieBB Posts: 52 Member
    Options

Oooh the negativity! The "ten" minutes was just a "for-instance" not actual time as I couldn't remember if it was an hour I did or not. But thank you for the response.

There was no negativity. It was fact.

But I clearly don't know what I'm talking about and you obviously didn't actually want any real answers so good luck to you in your weight loss goals.

Putting words in the OP's mouth ("clearly", "obviously you didn't") doesn't establish you as a credible or likeable person. Just because you are right does not also automatically mean that you can't be negative.

THIS!
  • Geeky_Girl
    Geeky_Girl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Wow. I haven't read every comment, but it seems like some of the responses are a little harsh.

When I started MFP, I logged everything; every step, housework, dog walk, etc. Why? Because it was motivating to me. I liked seeing the numbers and it kept me logging. I don't do that now. I only log the 'extra' things, like when I go to the gym or work out specifically to work out, or deep clean the house.

If it gets you moving, gets you motivated, and gets you tracking, log it. Log every bit of it. And be proud! You did burn those calories. As you get more into working out, maybe wean yourself off some of the things you track. Just my opinion. Happy logging!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    That's weird...
    Don't log "Housework"... if you were doing this routine BEFORE you wanted to get fit/healthy, then don't count those calories. that's just my opinion.
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I don't see an issue with logging housework as exercise. I clean (by clean I mean dust, vacuum, sweep, mop, scrub toilets, wipe down windows, ect) my 3100 sq foot house once a week. My body is not "use" to it. If I spend 2 hours cleaning and I want to log it, I should be able to. Now I don't log my normal pick up toys at the end of the night or wiping down the counter tops after making dinner.

On another note. MFP's calculations are usually off...so try a HRM or go for less calories. I would rather under estimate than overestimate.
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    MFP says I burn more calories than the elliptical machine reports. I always go with the machine's estimate instead since it is lower and I don't want to overestimate how many calories I am burning.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Well yes - true. I was still cleaning my house while I gained weight. HOWEVER, I was not logging my food intake or counting calories. Most agree that weight loss is 80% eating habits or more, and I have changed that part of the equation.

Being able to log house cleaning as exercise is a good incentive to raise my standards of house keeping. Since this is 20% or less of the weight loss equation, how am I possibly hurting anything?
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    That's weird...
    Don't log "Housework"... if you were doing this routine BEFORE you wanted to get fit/healthy, then don't count those calories. that's just my opinion.

see above
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    That's weird...

ok. Here's my problem:

before I joined MFP, i ran 2 miles three times a week. I was obese.

If i take this advice above, when I joined MFP, I would have been set up with 1200 cals plus exercise cals, but not log my runs because I was already doing them?? That doesn't make any sense.

ETA: you see my point right? 3 days a week I would have been eating 1200 cals, burning 200 running, and netting 1000. I assume we agree at 5'4 174 lb female should net more than 1000 cals a day (ok, three days a week).
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Options
    Well, I haven't logged housecleaning so far, and I do understand that normal daily cleaning of dishes, a random load of laundry, etc. is included in daily activities. I can say that I work long hours during the week, and my housework gets stacked up. I have a big house, and I clean the whole thing by myself. When I do my weekly cleaning and laundry, it takes me about 4 hours to get through it all. On those days, 1200 calories is not enough. I need a little more food.

I think it is ludicrous to say people can't log big housecleaning or moving projects. I know that I have a way better burn doing it than a measly 30 minute walk on a flat surface.

I still don't log that activity, but I don't see why somebody couldn't log it.

And, using the argument that somebody coming to MFP did housecleaning and didn't lose weight is a little ridiculous. They also didn't track their calories either. On days they clean the house or do a big job like moving, they need to eat more.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    It's rather aggravating that anyone considers housework or shopping to be "working out" worthy of calorie burn logging.

Keep it simple-- if you work up a true sweat, log it. If you don't, don't! And if your sweating is part of your daily job, and therefore part of the Activity Level Modifier that you choose when determining your BMR and TDEE, then don't count that as a separate burn. Easy peasy.

I clean an office twice a week for 1-2 hours. It makes me hot and sweaty and tired - BUT it isn't logged as part of my normal Activity Level because its just 2x a week, not an everyday job. So yes, I do add it as exercise under the cleaning guise. Do I record the entire time I'm doing it no - I normally just put 20-30 min, even if I do it for 2 hours. These are the days of the week my activity monitor registers the greatest spikes in my calorie burning so they are a workout.

No, I don't record my own house cleaning - that is sporadic and of such low intensity that its pointless to do so.

You cant tell people that they shouldn't be logging cleaning if you don't know what type it is.

You're right, and it wasn't clear from the original post that OP was preparing for a move, which isn't a daily activity. I learned that later in one of her responses. She used the example of ten minutes, and the responses came from that time frame and the ensuing (incorrect) assumptions. In your position and hers, I would log at least part of the cleaning as a burn for that particular day only. However, you could easily log that under any form of light cardio and it would be essentially the same. If it gets your heart rate up it doesn't really matter the activity, however, having so many varieties of daily activities in the exercise database may lead people to believe that they're burning far more calories than they are. As I said in another post, I just wish there was more explanation of when to log daily activities and how to make educated guesses in terms of eating back exercise calories. Because even choosing the "Sedentary" activity level, logging every single thing you do that takes more than minimal effort is probably overestimating the burn.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I always go by what my HRM says. Best investment ever!

quote for truth