Logging food ahead of time

Options
Does anyone else log food in ahead of time? For example I already know what I will be having fo breakfast in the am and what my snacks will be so I just add them now so that I stick to it and save some time later.
Is this a good idea? Im new to this so any advice is very much appreciated.

Replies

• blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I'm insulin resistant (otherwise known as IR on this site), so I have to keep a low carb load. Pre logging food is the only way I can keep my carbs in check, and stay on track with calories (so I'm not filling up with too many high cal options per meal either). If I'm ambious I'll pre-log the day before, and adjust as needed. But, always before prepairing a meal.
  • Amlynnskie
    Amlynnskie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    That's what I do, and it's been working great! I figure out my whole food menu for the day while I have my morning coffee. It keeps everything really simple that way. Good luck :D
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Definitely log before you put it in your mouth.

At least until you know what it has for calories.

There's no reason for bad surprises.
  • crowunruh
    crowunruh Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I log everything the night before. I focus alot on my macros so that takes some time to plan.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I'll sometimes log lunch before I eat it, or if I know what I'm having for dinner, I'll pre-log the main components. Because I cook/prep/pre-sort proteins into easily logged amounts (100g of chicken, 3.5 oz of steak, etc) I can just key in the main meal components as I go.

Do I make it a habitual thing? No. Not necessarily. If that's what you want to do, though, jump on it. It doesn't hurt to know what you have left to use, calorie-wise, by the end of the day.
  • lizschiller165
    lizschiller165 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes! I do this as well, and it seems to be working for me. I plan out my meals and it keeps me on track for the most part.
  • Thinknight
    Thinknight Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I log food in before i eat it, its especially good when you calculate everything and you find you have a few hundred calories left for the day. Thats when I treat myself to a small snack bar and a nice cup of tea! Makes this diet seem less of a diet if chocolate is still in my life :)
  • Carpaydeeum
    Options
    yes i do! and i really enjoy ending the day not eating all the food i logged :)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I pre-log all the time. It helps.
  • loranch
    loranch Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've started to do this a lot more. It makes it a lot easier because I'm really trying to hit all my macros
  • hdjjones
    hdjjones Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    If I know in advance what we are having for a holiday meal I log it so I can control portions and calories. That way I can save some for a little pie and not go over my calories for the day.
  • maeck
    maeck Posts: 7
    Options
    I log ahead all the time, for me it really helps. I make my lunch to take to work the night before, so I usually log everything for the next day once I've packed my lunch and decided what I'll be making for dinner. :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. It helps to have a plan!
  • dr3w_s
    dr3w_s Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I always plan for the next day
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    YES!!!, i do food and exercise after waking up,,, that means i stick to it! and get it done! IT WORKS!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I often log 4 or 5 days ahead and tweak as necessary. Works well for me. I like being organised and it helps me utilise what is in my fridge so I'm not wasting anything.

Zara
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    On Saturday I log for the week and do my grocery shopping on Sunday to match. Every night I check to make any adjustments needed for the next day, and I still update my diary with every meal as I refuse to "memorise" the calories. I make changes where I need to but it really works for me.
  • cara523
    cara523 Posts: 116
    Options
    Saturday I plan my meals and snacks for the week. Sunday I cook everything and it saves a ton of time during the week.
    I figure if it is written, it has to be done so it helps me stick to my goals all week long!
  • kaylemartin
    kaylemartin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I always do this; to fail to plan, is to plan to fail - that's my motto
  • Pixie8504
    Pixie8504 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yes I do this. It helps keep me on track